Ht: 6'3 Wt: 181 lbs
Shoots: Right
Position: C

schnarr,_nate_ep.jpg

Ranked #60 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #96 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #119 by Future Considerations
Ranked #94 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #47 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
Ranked #57 by TSN/McKenzie

�Has an explosive wrist shot that surprises goaltenders and often causes rebounds. Tall and lanky, Schnarr competes hard in puck pursuits and sacrifices his body, blocking shots and putting himself in the middle of shooting lanes. He has good acceleration down the middle of the ice and is tough to knock off the puck when he is in full flight.� � HockeyNow

�Schnarr is a big-bodied center that plays a two-way game. His skating is a concern as his stride is too wide and choppy. His skating affects his backchecking ability as well. He puts in effort to get back to the defensive zone but his turns are incredibly slow and unbalanced, causing him to lose speed and fall back in the race to the defensive zone.� � Future Considerations

http://thehockeywriters.com/nate-schnarr-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Big Centre-forward with a pro heavy wrist shot. Still getting comfortable with his size, he looks gangly but has nice North-South speed. Has above average hands but isn’t an accomplished finisher. Has the tools and is a terrific competitor who gets in the passing lanes, blocks shots, and possesses a willingness to battle hard for the puck. He has a good skill level but needs time and coaching to round his game out into the sum of the parts.
—Bill Placzek—

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I've been saying that this team needs more Schnarr for years. He sounds like a Dawn Braid special.

"Arizona Coyotes, now with more schnarr."

Reactions: Name Nameless

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Guelph Storm fan here....

Nate Schnarr is one of my favourite players on Guelph, a couple years ago he took his Jr B team from last place mid season to a deep playoff run pretty much single handily. This was his first full year in the OHL and he showed some real big moments but he needs to be more consistent, needs to be a bit more physical as well but man he had a big growth spurt last summer.

Pretty good on faceoffs and has a great shot and pretty good hockey sense. Will be getting top minutes on a Storm team that has been awful the past 2 years but should be making strides forward. Likely going to be on a line with Flyers 2nd round pick Isaac Ratcliffe.

He's a project for sure and will be in the OHL for the next two seasons but he's a guy I've been a fan of and I'm very happy to see him picked as high as he was, also own one of his game worn Storm jerseys lol.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Not a big fan of this pick. I can see his coordination improving as he fills out and gets used to his size, but the inconsistent effort level and weak hockey sense don't indicate middle six upside. He's got a long road ahead of him.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Schnarr looks like he's having a great season for Guelph with 10 goals and 23 points in 15 games. His sophomore season looked like a bit of a dud but seems to be coming together now...in fact some of the scouting way back when in the original post seems to be on-point with the "has the tools but may take a while for it to all come together" portion. Guelph is looking very talented at this point (in fact they seem loaded with guys that ooze physical potential) but it's not like Schnarr is on an offensive powerhouse and I assume he and Ratcliffe are the guys doing the heavy-lifiting up front (with support from Merkley). Any thoughts from OHL observers?

EDIT: Sorry for the necro-bump, thought this was the main prospect forum when it came up in my search. But yeah, I'm sure you Coyotes fans will have some insight :D

Last edited:

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Schnarr looks like he's having a great season for Guelph with 10 goals and 23 points in 15 games. His sophomore season looked like a bit of a dud but seems to be coming together now...in fact some of the scouting way back when in the original post seems to be on-point with the "has the tools but may take a while for it to all come together" portion. Guelph is looking very talented at this point (in fact they seem loaded with guys that ooze physical potential) but it's not like Schnarr is on an offensive powerhouse and I assume he and Ratcliffe are the guys doing the heavy-lifiting up front (with support from Merkley). Any thoughts from OHL observers?

EDIT: Sorry for the necro-bump, thought this was the main prospect forum when it came up in my search. But yeah, I'm sure you Coyotes fans will have some insight :D
Good to hear. Doubt he'll ever become a top 6 player, but bottom 6 centers with size and who are hard to play against are still very valuable players. Those are the kinda of role players you need to constantly have rotating on ELC's and cheap bridge deals in order to be a good team in the current NHL.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
Nate is currently leading his team in pts/gp (1.45, which is higher than #35 pick Isaac Ratcliffe for example). I read somewhere that the main thing that's holding him back is/was his skating ability. Has anyone seen him play enough this year to tell if he's improved in that area, or is the points he's racking up due to experience/teammates?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Nate is currently leading his team in pts/gp (1.45, which is higher than #35 pick Isaac Ratcliffe for example). I read somewhere that the main thing that's holding him back is/was his skating ability. Has anyone seen him play enough this year to tell if he's improved in that area, or is the points he's racking up due to experience/teammates?
Ratcliffe is the guy that stirs the pot for that line. Schnarr likely garners a contract.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Production exploded this season, and he has good size. Tucson Roadrunner next season?

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
From the hockey writers

“Schnarr is a big-bodied center that plays a two-way game. His skating is a concern as his stride is too wide and choppy. His skating affects his backchecking ability as well. He puts in effort to get back to the defensive zone but his turns are incredibly slow and unbalanced, causing him to lose speed and fall back in the race to the defensive zone.” – Future Considerations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad