GDT: 2017 NHL All-Star Game - 3:30 ET -12:30 PT (PART 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
What's funny is that when they brought the car out as the camera was going over the players and his face was like, "what the **** is that?"

Well, "that", is yours Simmer. All yours.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Say what you want. I found the 3x3 entertaining.

In fact, I liked the All-Star game a lot more than the recent Canadian Whatever Cup. (There were too many serious injuries in the meaningless Canadian Cup.)

Some of the skills competitions were hokey, but the accuracy shooting (won by Crosby followed by Austen Matthews) was impressive and Laine's taking second in the hardest shot was eye-opening.

Then again, I can sit at a practice session and have a good time (especially if there were liquid beverages available).

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Some really great goaltending in that last game....Tough to keep the score down in wide open 3 on 3 play.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Guys like Ovechkin and Subban are the only reason I still enjoy hockey.

You can see Ovie loves the game and is a big kid. I feel like he gets that he is playing a kids game as his career and appreciates every second of it.

I only hope some players come along that are good and aren't the robots all these kid superstars are.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
They actually tried to win. It made for an exciting final game - I don't think I've ever seen an exciting all star game before.

Congrats to Simmonds. He was great, as were Tavares and Holtby.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Horvat looked great out there. And he's a hell of a player. Canucks are insanely lucky to have him. Not sure what the discussion here is.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
So what you want. I found the 3x3 entertaining.

In fact, I liked the All-Star game a lot more than the recent Canadian Whatever Cup. (There were too many serious injuries in the meaningless Canadian Cup.)

Some of the skills competitions were hokey, but the accuracy shooting (won by Crosby followed by Austen Matthews) was impressive and Laine's taking second in the hardest shot was eye-opening.

Then again, I can sit at a practice session and have a good time (especially if there were liquid beverages available).

Skills comp was a bit weak/boring this year IMO.. but these games today made up for it.

Some really great goaltending in that last game....Tough to keep the score down in wide open 3 on 3 play.
Yeah.. and Metro got a huge break from McDonagh blocking that shot in the waning seconds :)

Surprised the Metro upset the Pacific, but at least it was entertaining.
Pacific were tougher than I thought they'd be... but I didn't really look at the rosters beforehand.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Glad to see Justin Faulk have a monster performance. I'm probably the biggest non-Carolina proponent of his on this board. What a freaking player.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Sorry please inform me what is being discussed. The statement was he did not belong there. I am saying he did not look at all out of place. Maybe enlighten me.

Don't sweat it. It's a trope around here that the Allstar game is meaningless, on the one hand, and that only the most elite players belong on the roster, on the other.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Awesome to see Horvat out there, he's gonna be a gooder. So excited to have him on our team.

I wonder if this weekend made Jersey miss him at all? At least they had Taylor Hall.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Glad to see Justin Faulk have a monster performance. I'm probably the biggest non-Carolina proponent of his on this board. What a freaking player.

Faulk and Horvat got the two least amount of reactions, either way during player intros. I don't see it. I've always liked Justin Faulk. It's just too bad he doesn't have more pieces around him.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
We all are very easy to criticize the league whenever they screw up myself included. Well to be fair, I want to send a shout out to the NHL as this might have been the best all star weekend I can recall maybe ever!. The NHL 100 was awesome even if a couple of players were included that arguably shouldn't have and which we have talked about infinitum and there were a few who were left off. But overall, the list is pretty much on the money and it was awesome to see all the long time greats that I grew up with.

Yes the Skills Competition needs some tweaks but overall its still kind of cool to see the players having fun. But they do need to put their heads together and make it more exciting.

Most surprising of all was how great the all-star game was. We all know the allstar game before last year's tweaks to the format making it 3 on 3 and having the divisions play one another had been borderline unwatchable and a **** show for well over a decade easy maybe even longer.

Now tho, it actually is exciting and you can see the players actually cared. I still swear I saw some backchecking especially in the Metro vs Pacific finale....lol. Good job by the NHL making the changes necessary to get this all-star game watchable again.

Overall great weekend and so kudos to Bettman and the NHL. for putting on a heck of a great show.

Wow I don't even feel dirty saying that....:nod:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Faulk and Horvat got the two least amount of reactions, either way during player intros. I don't see it. I've always liked Justin Faulk. It's just too bad he doesn't have more pieces around him.

Canes are on the rise. Slavin is one of the best defensive defenders in the league and Aho, Rask and TT all have top line potential.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

Dude, Justin Faulk has mad skills...can totally do it all for a dman. Man he would be perfect on the Rangers(I know it will never happen but I can dream).

If he could somehow figure out a way to get some love from the injury gods, something he's had some difficulty obtaining over his career, he could easily be a 55-60 point type dman with 20+ of those points being goals.

Big fan of Faulk and the Canes look like a team on the upswing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad