2017 NBA Offseason Thread

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't disagree with you guys and I think he'll have a much better shot at winning next to Kawhi but he has set himself up for this contract. As the president of the NBPA, he's one of the guys who pushed for that over-36 rule getting changed to over-38. Under the old system the max he could get from any team was 4 years, $156M but the new CBA allows him to get 5 years, $201M from the Clippers. I don't think he did that with the intention of leaving money on the table. I guess we'll see what happens.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
It needs to be considered that Chris Paul on a max contact in San Antonio will actually take home more money than on a "super max" deal in LA due to the huge discrepancy in state income tax rates between Texas and California; the big sacrifice would be that he couldn't sign for that 5th year anywhere but with the Clippers so he would be leaving one big earning year on the table to go to the Spurs

At a certain point you've got enough money, and Chris Paul has enough money, so it really is about winning vs. money now; considering he could still make a few million dollars on a minimum deal if his value is that low by the time he hits free agency again, I'll lose a lot of respect for him if he chooses LA over San Antonio this summer
I'll never lose respect for players sticking to where they'll get the most money. I know it's intriguing to try and go somewhere to win a ring, but if I had the talent that would allow me to make insane amounts of money, I can totally understand going/staying where the money is. Paul's got the chance to set up his kids' kids' kids for college and what not. End of the day, it still is a job.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
^ that's a fair position, though if Paul doesn't already have enough money to send his great grandkids to whatever school they want, he screwed up financially somewhere along the way, he's made $140M in just the last 8 years (before taxes), he ain't hurtin

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Lol true, he has made a lot of dough. That's what makes it so interesting though. Does he still want more, or does he want to go get that ring? Cause far as I'm concerned, the Clippers window looks shut. That team is just fundamentally flawed (and injury prone).

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The Clippers window slammed shut when they gave Deandre Jordan a max contract, I also think Blake Griffin is the most overrated player in the league that the average fan might consider a superstar, their team success been entirely due to Chris Paul

If Paul wants to win, he has to manufacture some sort of supeteam NOW, he turns 33 during next year's playoffs and the wheels will fall off eventually; go to San Antonio or collude with Paul George or even Lebron James, the Clippers aren't doing anything in the playoffs with their current team

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
^ that's a fair position, though if Paul doesn't already have enough money to send his great grandkids to whatever school they want, he screwed up financially somewhere along the way, he's made $140M in just the last 8 years (before taxes), he ain't hurtin

181 million over his career as well.

The Clippers window slammed shut when they gave Deandre Jordan a max contract, I also think Blake Griffin is the most overrated player in the league that the average fan might consider a superstar, their team success been entirely due to Chris Paul

If Paul wants to win, he has to manufacture some sort of supeteam NOW, he turns 33 during next year's playoffs and the wheels will fall off eventually; go to San Antonio or collude with Paul George or even Lebron James, the Clippers aren't doing anything in the playoffs with their current team

His best option is SA, unless he wants to obliterate his rep, as well as his clout within the NBAPA and sign with the Cavs for pennies. As for PG, Paul would have to wait another year and see where he goes - thats a year where he can tear his knee or have his play fall off and lose lots of dollars.

I don't disagree with you guys and I think he'll have a much better shot at winning next to Kawhi but he has set himself up for this contract. As the president of the NBPA, he's one of the guys who pushed for that over-36 rule getting changed to over-38. Under the old system the max he could get from any team was 4 years, $156M but the new CBA allows him to get 5 years, $201M from the Clippers. I don't think he did that with the intention of leaving money on the table. I guess we'll see what happens.

I don't think he thought he'd be in his current position either - his very talented team can't even make the conference finals. The D12-Harden Rockets even made it there.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I'd be cool with that.

Boston has the ultimate trump card in his mentor Stevens and a contender core in place, but in MIA he'd be the undisputed franchise player and gets to live somewhere with no income tax. He could be the new guy to lead them back to success, like Wade and LBJ before him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Boston has the ultimate trump card in his mentor Stevens and a contender core in place, but in MIA he'd be the undisputed franchise player and gets to live somewhere with no income tax. He could be the new guy to lead them back to success, like Wade and LBJ before him.

I think his top options are probably the Jazz, then Celtics, and then everyone else but maybe the Heat have a shot for the reasons you listed. I wasn't expecting it but both Stein and Woj have now mentioned them as a possibility.

Players who aren't superstars usually don't take risks and give up guaranteed money and ultimately I don't think Hayward will either but this is an interesting breakdown if he's willing to roll the dice:

And while the Jazz can offer Hayward a five-year guaranteed payout that no other team can, it’s not necessarily his best option. That could be a four-year deal, with a player option after three years – which would allow him the flexibility to opt out and re-enter free agency as a 10-year veteran eligible for a Tier 3 max contract in the summer of 2020; positioning him for a possible $225 million kicker on the back end that he might not be able to command two years later. Entering free agency at age 30 is a far different proposition than at age 32.

And since every team in the league can offer him such a 3+1 deal this summer, Hayward could find himself in the rather unique position of having his optimal financial payout guaranteed to be virtually identical no matter where he chooses to play. And if that’s the case, a move east — where the team of his choosing could potentially be just one aging player’s decline in production away from being the premier team in its conference — could prove rather enticing.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Figured this would be good enough thread as any

Former 1st round bust Sebastian Telfair arrested for guns and drugs

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...rested-Guns-Marijuana-NYPD-nba-427809793.html

His excuse wont fly in NY courts as they are not bound to honor Florida gun permits/etc

Also given his prior arrests as well

iyIToLx.jpg

I remember the hype for him was almost as big as Lebron in HS years

b29Y78q.jpg

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Figured this would be good enough thread as any

Former 1st round bust Sebastian Telfair arrested for guns and drugs

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...rested-Guns-Marijuana-NYPD-nba-427809793.html

His excuse wont fly in NY courts as they are not bound to honor Florida gun permits/etc

Also given his prior arrests as well

iyIToLx.jpg

I remember the hype for him was almost as big as Lebron in HS years

b29Y78q.jpg

He's just well prepared in case the Red Coats jump out from somewhere, you can never be too diligent when it comes to that.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
"As officers approached, they started to drive off, according to the source. Police who pulled them over smelled marijuana and saw a lit "blunt" on the dashboard, authorities said. "

lol

And I cannot believe Telfair is now 32

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
"As officers approached, they started to drive off, according to the source. Police who pulled them over smelled marijuana and saw a lit "blunt" on the dashboard, authorities said. "

lol

And I cannot believe Telfair is now 32

... dash it out the window, no? :help:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Wojnarowski: Belief in Cleveland, around NBA is LeBron's 'very much in play to leave' Cavs https://www.thescore.com/news/1314704

"Not only is there no guarantee he's coming back, I'm not sure there's an expectation he's re-signing there," The Vertical's Adrian Wojnarowski revealed on his podcast Wednesday.

James, who returned to the Cavs after four years in Miami, could once again become an unrestricted free agent next summer if he declines his 2018-19 player option worth more than $35.6 million.

"I think they feel - I think within Cleveland and around the league - they feel that he's very much in play to leave again and likely head out West to one of the two L.A. teams. The Lakers could very well be a target," Wojnarowski continued.

The possibility of Miami again, based on how they, what that team looks like and where they are. Would Dwyane Wade go back there?

But I think the focus - a lot of LeBron's - his business interests, his Hollywood aspirations, his media ventures are based out there.

And I wrote this last year and said it and believed it: The minute he won that championship in Cleveland he was liberated to leave again. Now, if he had not won a title in Cleveland and then left again, I think there would be tremendous backlash again. But the fact that he came back and did what he set out to do, which was to bring a title to Cleveland.

Just like I reported a few weeks ago.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad