2017 NBA Offseason Thread

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Still feel awful for Bosh but this is very good news for the Heat.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
So it looks like Casey will be back next year.

Holy ****, he is literally the Jeff Fisher/Arsene Wenger/Marvin Lewis of the NBA at this point.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Cowherd was all up on LeBron's nutz as usual today and kept stressing the "valuable" in MVP. Does he actually think OKC without Westbrook is better than the Cavs without LeBron? This was incredibly stupid even for him. OKC wins 12 games without Westbrook. I honestly think the Cavs still make it out of the East without LeBron.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
So it looks like Casey will be back next year.

Holy ****, he is literally the Jeff Fisher/Arsene Wenger/Marvin Lewis of the NBA at this point.

Honestly. He was saved by the CF appearance last year but this year this is no excuse, especially with Ujiri going all in and then being swept. (yes it's LeBron but last year they were able to take two games from him, wand this year the team was much deeper)

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Cowherd was all up on LeBron's nutz as usual today and kept stressing the "valuable" in MVP. Does he actually think OKC without Westbrook is better than the Cavs without LeBron? This was incredibly stupid even for him. OKC wins 12 games without Westbrook. I honestly think the Cavs still make it out of the East without LeBron.

Cowherd is one of those *******s who complain that the regular season isn't meaningful enough, and then points to playoff performances when arguing the merits of a regular season award, he is good at tracking a narrative but crucial details are beyond him

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...aul-lakers-trade-ended-mitch-kupchak-panicked

Complete ****. Stern just needed an excuse 6 years later as to why he voted it. Nobody is going to believe Lamar Odom was THAT critical to the deal. :shakehead

Stern was the one who panicked. The rest of the league didn't want to see the Lakers reload and become another perennial contender, so he vetoed the deal to keep the other owners happy. It was pretty much a done deal, and several media outlets had reported it already. The fact that they took a lesser deal to trade him to the Clippers pretty much confirmed it.

Kupchak HAD to deal Odom after that because he knew he was traded already.

In the end, New Orleans still stink, and while the Lakers weren't the best managed team the last few years it definitely set them back. Had the Lakers gotten Paul to play with Kobe, they wouldn't have swung and failed miserably with Nash and Howard.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Stern was the one who panicked. The rest of the league didn't want to see the Lakers reload and become another perennial contender, so he vetoed the deal to keep the other owners happy. It was pretty much a done deal, and several media outlets had reported it already. The fact that they took a lesser deal to trade him to the Clippers pretty much confirmed it.

Kupchak HAD to deal Odom after that because he knew he was traded already.

In the end, New Orleans still stink, and while the Lakers weren't the best managed team the last few years it definitely set them back. Had the Lakers gotten Paul to play with Kobe, they wouldn't have swung and failed miserably with Nash and Howard.

Agreed, and they may have very well won another ring with Mamba and CP3. I Hope Silver never pulls this ****.

New Orleans now has AD and Boogie. They won't stink for long.

Boogie is a free agent next summer and is apparently testing free agency regardless of what happens. And Nawleans didn't exactly lay lights out after trading for him, they pretty much have just next season to convince him to stay.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Interesting. He intended on signing a 5-year max deal this offseason until Vivdick pulled it off the table.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Stein keeps bringing up CP3 giving serious consideration to San Antonio.

I just can't see him leaving nearly $50M on the table to join the Spurs. It's not like he can make up the difference either by signing another contract after the 4-year deal expires. This is going to be his last big money contract.

The Spurs also have no cap space so they'd have to make a bunch of moves just to create the room necessary to offer him a max deal.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I just can't see him leaving nearly $50M on the table to join the Spurs. It's not like he can make up the difference either by signing another contract after the 4-year deal expires. This is going to be his last big money contract.

The Spurs also have no cap space so they'd have to make a bunch of moves just to create the room necessary to offer him a max deal.

Depends what he values more. Money or a ring. I mean let's be realistic, Suprs are the one team that can give Dubs or Cavs a run for their money, and they are the one team out of the three that has a hole at PG. If I was him and if the Spurs manage to get the cap that's where I'd sign. Also, don't forget he and Timmy are tight.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I can. He's made about 182 million in his career thus far yet has never seen the CF's. At this point he may just want to win a championship, even if it means leaving that much money on the table. Hence why LeBron took millions less to sign in Miami, or Durant this summer with GSW. (Granted they have huge shoe deals, but still). SA is pretty much the best possible team he can sign with and gives him his best chance to win.

Aside from that, there has been rumours that if he is intent on signing with the Spurs, they can organize a sign and trade with LAC to clear cap for him, give them assets back and get him more money - probably wouldn't be the full max but as close to it as they can get while leaving room to build a team.

Interesting. He intended on signing a 5-year max deal this offseason until Vivdick pulled it off the table.

Yes, the report said he was willing to stay in Sac to help the team get to contender status because he felt loyal to them, but after being traded all bets were off the table. Vivek randomly putting him on the market hurt what he would get in return and the news he wouldn't sign a new contract with anybody didn't help either.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
It needs to be considered that Chris Paul on a max contact in San Antonio will actually take home more money than on a "super max" deal in LA due to the huge discrepancy in state income tax rates between Texas and California; the big sacrifice would be that he couldn't sign for that 5th year anywhere but with the Clippers so he would be leaving one big earning year on the table to go to the Spurs

At a certain point you've got enough money, and Chris Paul has enough money, so it really is about winning vs. money now; considering he could still make a few million dollars on a minimum deal if his value is that low by the time he hits free agency again, I'll lose a lot of respect for him if he chooses LA over San Antonio this summer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad