Prospect Info: 2017 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Speaking of the goat, I'm actually happy that people have come to their senses with this guy. It's taken four years to realize he's not a top prospect , but the community has come around.

I think most realized last year... ;)

2016 - Ranked 22nd

Will likely be low teens/early twenties this year.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Andrew Nielsen is so overrated. Stat watchers really need to watch him play instead of basing it just on his points. His play has done nothing to warrant that he's a better prospect than a lot of the names mentioned

In my eyes, his ceiling is literally Cody Franson

I'd say JD Greenway or Borgman will be a better prospect very soon.

Most people voting have seen little or none of the players in the polls. That's just the way it is. If the voting was limited to the people who have actually seen the players, these polls would have 10 or 15 total votes. I include myself in that category.

If Andrew Nielsen can turn out to be Cody Franson, that would be a very successful outcome for a third round pick. I also think we need to remember that this is a guy who started high-level hockey very late and has shown incredible development in a short time. If he can continue that pace of development there is a chance he could be much more than a Cody Franson, and that's where I disagree that Franson is his ceiling. It's definitely a far more likely outcome, but it's not his limit.

I have never seen Borgman at all so there is definitely a tendency to choose guys I've at least seen a few times or know something about, over someone I know nothing about.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If you think Franson is a bad ceiling for Nielsen, I'm not sure what to say.

That would be fantastic if he reached that kind of ceiling. How is that a negative of any kind?

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Since when is being a cody Franson an insult...? :laugh:

If your 9th best prospect turns out to be Franson, you're doing a good job....

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
If you think Franson is a bad ceiling for Nielsen, I'm not sure what to say.

That would be fantastic if he reached that kind of ceiling. How is that a negative of any kind?

I guess some people think every prospect should have the potential to be an all-star.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
For the 4th time, I'm going Borgman. Think the kid will be a solid contributor sooner, rather than later.

Andrew Nielsen is so overrated. Stat watchers really need to watch him play instead of basing it just on his points. His play has done nothing to warrant that he's a better prospect than a lot of the names mentioned

In my eyes, his ceiling is literally Cody Franson

I'd say JD Greenway or Borgman will be a better prospect very soon.

I have him at 9, but a ceiling of Franson isn't a bad thing for a prospect. A 30-35 point guy with good shot suppression...If anything, I'd say he's closer to Ristolainen, a guy who can put up a ton of points on the PP, but his 5v5 play leaves a lot to be desired.

People voting Borgman over Rychel now?

Sheesh.

At this point in the rankings, pretty much anyone can be a contender for each spot. There's no need to act like Borgman over Rychel is such a huge stretch. It's just as likely Rychel's career resembles Luca Caputi vs. actually becoming an NHL regular...

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
For the 4th time, I'm going Borgman. Think the kid will be a solid contributor sooner, rather than later.

I have him at 9, but a ceiling of Franson isn't a bad thing for a prospect. A 30-35 point guy with good shot suppression...If anything, I'd say he's closer to Ristolainen, a guy who can put up a ton of points on the PP, but his 5v5 play leaves a lot to be desired.

At this point in the rankings, pretty much anyone can be a contender for each spot. There's no need to act like Borgman over Rychel is such a huge stretch. It's just as likely Rychel's career resembles Luca Caputi vs. actually becoming an NHL regular...

Its also just as likely Rychel is the next LW to 'graduate' to the Leafs NHL roster.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
This happens every year. Nielsen had a great D+1 year so his stock is still fairly high with a lot of people. If he doesn't take a step forward this year I guarantee he'll be somewhere in the teens next year after we get our shiny new toys in the 2018 draft. Our first and two seconds should yield some nice prospects.

Which is how it should be i guess. Bracco will plummet in next years standings if he doesn't step it up as well. Nielsen though, did improve significantly as the year went along, which stat watching also won't show. His D+1 and D+2 years showed significant strides. If he improves as much in D+3 he fully deserves to remain around the top 10.

Anyway, Borgman. Most of us haven't seen him (or much), but the reports on him are strong enough to merit this range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad