Prospect Info: 2017 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I wonder how many Leaf fans know Andreas Johnsson was an SHL Rookie of the Year in 2013-2014.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
skating is a huge determining factor in making nhl...you cant rate bracco and nielsen that high cause of that

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
How often do small-ish forwards who score at a .63 points/game pace at 22 years old in the AHL become much of anything in the NHL?

If you're talking about Johnsson, this is where, if you're going to stat watch, you'd best stat watch game by game. His production was awful the first half but PPG the rest of the way. I'll chalk that up to acclimation. So throw out that number you tossed. He's also a '200 foot player', so that will help his cause greatly.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Tough call for me but how can I not give it to a guy who just potted 20 as a rook on the farm? A.N was a close second.

I don't see how you can purely look at numbers and not pick Nielsen then. He only scored 6 less goals and 8 less points playing defence, 1 less game, and being 2 years younger jumping straight from junior to professional hockey. I take Nielsen easily here, even if I find him riskier than others still left on the list because of his relatively poor pivoting and edgework. Has a higher offensive upside than all of our prospect dmen other than Liljegren and could be strong defensively due to his frame and ability to play physical hockey.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Spent all day thinking hard on this one. Andreas is a 200 foot player and deserves to stick in the NHL. ... but the tantalising prospective of what Nielsen can be if he works hard, ... and HE DID make tremendous strides down the stretch, and has every year.... even if he doesn't make peak potential and ends up as a capable defender that gets lamented, ... i can't ignore the value.

Anyway, the world goes on either way. Both of em are #7 and #8.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Both of the leading votes getters are misspelled. I chose Johnsson because he's closer to the NHL. However Nielsen had a great rookie AHL year. Many young defensemen have trouble staying in the lineup in their first AHL year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad