Prospect Info: 2017 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Bracco has always been a 4 year prospect. It's been 2.

Get over it.

Lol, it looks like you're taking the comment personally... I just dont understand how you state that you need to "see real improvement" in a prospect that had a great freshman season in NCAA, while voting Bracco as a top 6 prospect. Just some hypocrisy is all....

A lot of these prospects are in year 2 or 3 of a 4-5 year development path...

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Lol, it looks like you're taking the comment personally... I just dont understand how you state that you need to "see real improvement" in a prospect that had a great freshman season in NCAA, while voting Bracco as a top 6 prospect. Just some hypocrisy is all....

A lot of these prospects are in year 2 or 3 of a 4-5 year development path...

No, it's because ones a goalie. See Pogge, Justin. Even the best ones (Jack Campbell) bust, or they turn into average starters on great teams (MAF).

That's fine. Show me one with the upside of Bracco? Remember, he lead the NTDP in assists in a single season (until Keller), and is only behind Matthews, Keller, Kane, Kessel, and Tkachuk in points for a single season. He also had a 30(?) game point streak this season (well on the way to a 2PPG) until he got traded to Windsor.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I think people are really sleeping on Woll. He's a very comparable prospect to Thatcher Demko, and if he was born 2 and a half months later he would have been in discussion as a 1st round pick this year, and is probably the 1st or 2nd goalie off the board.

Goalie prospects are voodoo, but pretty much everyone at this point is a long-shot to have a long-term NHL career.

I am as sure as can be that he will be a solid starter in the he NHL. I think he looks alot like Schneider in net.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
No, it's because ones a goalie. See Pogge, Justin. Even the best ones (Jack Campbell) bust, or they turn into average starters on great teams (MAF).

That's fine. Show me one with the upside of Bracco? Remember, he lead the NTDP in assists in a single season (until Keller), and is only behind Matthews, Keller, Kane, Kessel, and Tkachuk in points for a single season. He also had a 30(?) game point streak this season (well on the way to a 2PPG) until he got traded to Windsor.

Is it not concerning to you that Bracco could not translate his NTDP success to OHL success?

His NTDP days was over two years ago now... (Plus that didn't stop him from being what, our #17 prospect last season...?)??

In regards to Woll, he had a Freshman season that Most goaltenders don't have. Woll's freshman season is on par with elite goaltender numbers.... (But as you say, Goalies are hard to assess).

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Is it not concerning to you that Bracco could not translate his NTDP success to OHL success?

His NTDP days was over two years ago now... (Plus that didn't stop him from being what, our #17 prospect last season...?)??

In regards to Woll, he had a Freshman season that Most goaltenders don't have. Woll's freshman season is on par with elite goaltender numbers.... (But as you say, Goalies are hard to assess).

No. He wasn't physically ready year 1, and he changed teams mid season. Year two he was one of the best players in the league until he went to Windsor (except he was amazing in the mem).

That's perfectly fine, and I hope he continues his success. I also believe he's probably a top-10 prospect on our team. I just dont think he's a sure thing until he's at least repeated it another year.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
No. He wasn't physically ready year 1, and he changed teams mid season. Year two he was one of the best players in the league until he went to Windsor (except he was amazing in the mem).

That's perfectly fine, and I hope he continues his success. I also believe he's probably a top-10 prospect on our team. I just dont think he's a sure thing until he's at least repeated it another year.

I dont understand, how is Woll any less of a 'sure thing' than Bracco?

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Woll will fall in our rankings just like Goalies fall in the draft, but if he has a better year this coming season than last, he'll be in the top-5 when we do this again.

Johnsson, Nielsen, Rychel, Woll, Borgman to fill out #7-#11

Then i think you have to put Miro Aaltonen down because 44pts in 59gms in the KHL is nothing to sneeze at. He may well just be a 24 year old 2nd/3rd liner who happened to be playing in the KHL last year. Also, while everything i read and see suggests Borgman has the higher upside, Calle Rosen was brought in as a more NHL ready player with some real interesting scouting reports, so he also really should not fall out of the top #15, imo.

But with consideration to this current poll, and exceptionally tight race...
This is a really tough vote for me to decide on.

Nielsen
The offence is never in question. His defence was a tire fire to start the year. Somewhere along the way though, this began to change. I remember seeing an interview with the coaching staff that they had talked to Nielsen about the need to work on this, and they were happy about how receptive he was to teaching. His point production dried up in the back half of the season, but with it, his play on the ice got smarter too. It's not simply a matter of sheltered play that he quietly wrapped up the year at +7, to be among the team leaders in that stat, after being near the bottom of the team in the first half. That improved play gives me excitement towards this year. Still, he's not NHL ready by any means. This year is really critical.

Johnsson
He can skate, he can pass, he can shoot, he can play both ends of the ice. Last season was the acclimation year, and boy did he acclimate. He's NHL ready. He is an NHL player. Right now. ...but so is Leivo. I have serious doubts that Johnsson will make the team, even though he full well deserves to. There's a major logjam going on at the forward position right now, and while he's not small, he's just small enough that you can see Leivo or Rychel getting preference. It wouldn't be the worst thing if he played one more year in the minors, but if he becomes a victim, buried in the minors despite having earned his way up, i'll be mad. This guy needs to be playing for an NHL team SOMEWHERE, no later than October of 2018. Use him, or move him.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I got Johnson, Nielsen, Borgman, Rychel, Rosen as the next five with Woll , tymo, dzerikals, Rasanen, and Brooks as the 5 after that. These are guys who I think have nvm capability and can be regulars in the NHL if they develop correctly. Haven't seen many ncaa kids so didn't vote for them(besides woll who I saw a bit of last year).

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Talk about getting no love, gonna go with the Goat here.

Looked decent in his first stint up at the NHL level and was one of the best Marlies in the playoffs with 4 points in 6 games and a defensive/faceoff beast before he got knocked out with that cheapshot.

Wont be surprised to see him in a key role next May and can you really say that about many of the other guys on here?

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
The Timashov hype has slowed down a lot. As will the Bracco overrating after next season I guess.

Voted Bergman.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The Timashov hype has slowed down a lot. As will the Bracco overrating after next season I guess.

Voted Bergman.

Timashov will have a good next season, he played good hockey in the second half, last season. He will be a good NHL'er.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
How often do small-ish forwards who score at a .63 points/game pace at 22 years old in the AHL become much of anything in the NHL?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Voted Bergman.

Looks like your just box score watching when it comes to Timashov

He had a solid rookie season

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I thought Nielson had a good year?

Did he fade? IIRC he put up great numbers.

he did. expectations may be getting in the way here.

he had a very nice transition to the pro game.offensively, but the d side needs plenty of work...but that's hardly a killer for a pro roomie year.

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
Tough call for me but how can I not give it to a guy who just potted 20 as a rook on the farm? A.N was a close second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad