Prospect Info: 2017 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I'm always a bit off in these rankings. I tend to put a lot of weight into how NHL ready a player is. And in that case Kapanen would be #1 and Rychel would be top 5.

But that's not the only thing to consider. So maybe I'll just refrain from voting. I don't know enough about the guys who haven't yet been sniffing at the NHL roster.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
I know he's not a popular pick in this spot but I went with Gauthier.

The way I approach these rankings is I look at the players remaining and I ask, if there was an expansion draft where all of their prospects were available, and they could only protect one, who would it be?

When you look at the lack of interest in re-signing Boyle and then look at the Moore signing as a bit of a temporary stop gap I think the Leafs have plans for Gauthier to be an important part of this team going forward. I thought he looked really strong when he played last year. And prior to his injury his game with the Marlies took a big leap forward. I think he's maybe the least replaceable prospect left on that list.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

The way I approach these rankings is I look at the players remaining and I ask, if there was an expansion draft where all of their prospects were available, and they could only protect one, who would it be?

When you look at the lack of interest in re-signing Boyle and then look at the Moore signing as a bit of a temporary stop gap I think the Leafs have plans for Gauthier to be an important part of this team going forward. I thought he looked really strong when he played last year. And prior to his injury his game with the Marlies took a big leap forward. I think he's maybe the least replaceable prospect left on that list.

I am just hoping Gauthier gets enough chances to show himself offensively with the Marlies next year. Almost take the injury as a blessing and opportunity to show what he can do offensively. People who do not watch the Marlies regularly will see his point totals and think he has little offensive ability, but what you have to realize is he's playing with grinders more often than not, and rarely gets offensive starts. He makes a ton of things happen on his own and his point totals are actually lower than what he should have got last year. A lot of bounces did not go his way.

If he played top 9 with some of the skilled guys we have up there, I would have no doubts in saying he'd have at least a 0.5 PPG season in the AHL (which is almost 40 points in a full AHL season) next year. Skating has improved leaps and bounds, he has a nicer shot and improved his playmaking, plus is a lot more offensively aware. This while being one of the best defensive centers and faceoff guys around.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Borgman's the one with the highest upside left I think. unlike grunndstrom/korshkov he's got more than checking potential.

I take Rasanen. Long term if he pans out I see him being more valuable than any forward prospect we have. I think people are really sleeping on him. He forced his play time up and his position up the line up this year in Kingston.

Also Gauthier people: His leg is ****ed, NHL career donezo imo

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Judging from the conversation before the voting, you'd have thought it was more split between Korshkov and Grundstrom.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Also Gauthier people: His leg is ****ed, NHL career donezo imo

He's in the middle of a tough recovery but this doesn't stop pro athletes. Many NHLers have been through this and recovered to close to their physical peak. His skating was good before the injury, it'll be good after the injury. The limitations of his hockey skills and his willingness to use his size will remain the biggest impediments to a lengthy NHL career.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Korshkov. Could already be in the NHL.

Going to be a nice piece for our playoff runs

Just curious, what have you seen that makes you think this? I know next to nothing about the guy other than looking at his hockeydb page which isn't all that impressive.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Went with Korshkov, I think that he will really surprise a lot of people when we get to see him at a prospect or training camp.

Grundstrom and Johnsson next imo, followed by Nielsen and Bracco.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Just curious, what have you seen that makes you think this? I know next to nothing about the guy other than looking at his hockeydb page which isn't all that impressive.

He was 12th in PPG among U24 KHL players (21 year old season).

In all likelihood, he'd have been top 7-8 in U24 scoring had he not been injured. When he came back from injury, he was sheltered with 4th line minutes IIRC.

Has good hands, size, speed... whats NOT to like? :)

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
Bracco had a terrific season. His season ranked 115th all-time in PPG among 19 year olds in the OHL. If he didn't have a bit of a rough time adjusting at first in Windsor, he probably comes close to 100 points. He had a great Memorial Cup.

He didn't put up Marner numbers, but he's not going to be a superstar like Marner.

His DEV this season was 0.858, which is the value equivalent of a 75th overall pick.

He didn't exactly have a terrific season.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
I'm always a bit off in these rankings. I tend to put a lot of weight into how NHL ready a player is. And in that case Kapanen would be #1 and Rychel would be top 5.

But that's not the only thing to consider. So maybe I'll just refrain from voting. I don't know enough about the guys who haven't yet been sniffing at the NHL roster.

Why? Keep voting :)

I approach it the same. But that's exactly why I have Gauthier waaay lower. I'd rather protect any of our D with top 4 potential over a potential 4th line center

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
just curious, what have you seen that makes you think this? I know next to nothing about the guy other than looking at his hockeydb page which isn't all that impressive.

The account is private, so I can't embed the tweet, but Urback's projection model has Korshkov scoring 1.6 P/60 (third line quality) in the NHL next season (comparable to Brown, Z. Smith, Hertl and Berglund this season).

He goes on to note that, with his frame, there's lots of growth potential, and that he could be a steal.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
The account is private, so I can't embed the tweet, but Urback's projection model has Korshkov scoring 1.6 P/60 (third line quality) in the NHL next season (comparable to Brown, Z. Smith, Hertl and Berglund this season).

He goes on to note that, with his frame, there's lots of growth potential, and that he could be a steal.

Good to know! I haven't been happy with the pick so far, but that's completely based on my own lack of knowledge regarding the player. Glad to hear he's got some good upside.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Shilton made a good point on TSN this morning from prospect camp, that people are vastly overlooking Adam Brooks.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I went with Korshkov because his season was very impressive in the KHL before he got injured, but Grundstrom is pretty equal to him in terms of value/potential.

I feel like Johnson is really underrated though. After the first 2, I feel like the next 4-5 players are really close to each other.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
I'm still in awe somebody called Dakota Joshua better then Jeremy Bracco. Dakota Joshua likely tops out as your 3rd line centre, Bracco has potential to be a top 6 player.

Went with Korshkov. Safe bet he'll be a top 9 player

Reactions: LemonSauceD

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA

Respectfully, I think this is insane.

If you could only protect one player, do you protect:

(a) A prospect who looks to be a 4th-line centre if everything works out, who now on top of that will need to recover from a major injury.
(b) Any of several defensemen with top-4 potential, or any one of a number of wingers with top-6 potential, nearly all of whom have shown more rapid progress than Gauthier.

I would be very upset if we lost a Dermott, Nielsen, Grundstrom, etc. to keep Gauthier. Guys of that calibre are available all the time.

Maybe Gauthier does turn into what you think he can. I hope I'm wrong, but nearly every piece of evidence points to him being a career 4th-line player if things work out. I don't think he is worthless or any hyperbole like that, but I just don't comprehend the significant value a segment of the Leaf fan base places in Gauthier. If it's because we lack other prospects like him, that may be true, but I'd still rather have the much higher quality prospect over an inferior one who fills a need. Team needs can change very, very quickly.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I'm still in awe somebody called Dakota Joshua better then Jeremy Bracco. Dakota Joshua likely tops out as your 3rd line centre, Bracco has potential to be a top 6 player.

Went with Korshkov. Safe bet he'll be a top 9 player

I'll be honest, I was just taking a hot-take. I rank Bracco ahead of Joshua, but not by much. I think they're on the same tier of prospect, and wouldn't be surprised if Joshua becomes more succesful than Bracco.

I think one is overrated and the other is vastly underrated on these boards. Regardless, I don't think Bracco should be in the conversation of a top 8 prospect in our pool, maybe ranked 9 or 10... At the end of the day, chances are both don't become much more than fringe NHLers.

If you were to look at NHLe:
1.4 PPG in the OHL converts to 0.42 PPG in NHL
1.1 PPG in the NCAA converts to 0.45 PPG in NHL

Now, I know this doesn't mean much... AND development isn't linear. I just think Joshua has shown more signs of improvement since being drafted than Bracco has. Now, Joshua is 10 months older than Bracco, and Bracco can still very well explode any time now... but time is ticking...

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
People sleeping on Greenway.

6'5 ****ing physical monster, skates like the wind and has good puck skills. Played on the top pairing as a freshman in college. Potential is sky high here.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
People sleeping on Greenway.

6'5 ****ing physical monster, skates like the wind and has good puck skills. Played on the top pairing as a freshman in college. Potential is sky high here.

USA hockey passed on inviting him to the JU20 summer thing. It sounds like he is a project.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
USA hockey passed on inviting him to the JU20 summer thing. It sounds like he is a project.

Yeah - there are things about him that draw inmediate interest but he's got a long ways to go to sort things out and get his game close to an NHL level.

The U20 invite snub wasn't a good sign though. Hopefully It can be a motivator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad