Prospect Info: 2017 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Hello all, I'd love if you could all give the bolded a read before voting.

I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:
1. Timothy Liljegren -- 57.66%
2. Kasperi Kapanen -- 89.47%
3. Travis Dermott -- 83.75%

Dmytro Timashov
Miro Aaltonen
JD Greenway
Andreas Johnson
Frederik Gauthier
Andrew Nielson
Jeremy Bracco
Yegor Korshkov
Carl Grundstrom
Eemeli Rasanen
Kerby Rychel
Joseph Woll
Adam Brooks
Andreas Borgman
Calle Rosen

John Piccinich
Pierre Engvall
Nolan Vesey
Dakota Joshua
Rinat Valiev
Martins Dzierkals
Jesper Lindgren
Kasimir Kaskisuo
Tobias Lindberg
Keaton Middleton
Jack Walker
Nicolas Mattinen
Nikolai Chebykin
Vladimir Bobylev
Justin Holl
Trevor Moore
Ian Scott
Vladislav Kara
Fedor Gordeev
Ryan McGregor
Ryan O'Connell

Prospect Ranking #1
Prospect Ranking #3

2016 Final Result
2015 Final Result
2014 Final Result
2013 Final Result
2012 Final Result
2011 Final Result
2010 Final Result

Suggest who I should add next. :D

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Grundstrom for likelihood of making the NHL over all the others. Top end talent - Bracco prolly at this point - but I'll stick with Grunny here.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's just a really good sign about Grundstrom's progress that he looked so at home as a 19 year old in the AHL playoffs.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Went with AJ. At a spot now where there are a glut of potentially good complimentary wingers that could be 20G - 45/50P guys that can slide up and down the top 9 and play solid D.

I think AJ has proven the most out of the bunch so far, scoring 20 in his first AHL season while showing a good two way game. A 2013 pick that's been around for awhile but I think he's just about ready.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The next 2 are probably Grundstrom, and Korshkov. I have them in a tier of 3 with Bracco but I'm kinda doubtful he will go at 6. Leafs fans have seemed to soured on his value and I'm not sure why. He's chugging along nicely. Always the same boom/bust prospect he has been. Nothing in his development so far should make you more or less excited about the probability that his hits his potential since he was drafted.

Went with Korshkov here

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I think borgman is going to surprise a lot of people.

With that said, I like Korshkov here. Either him/Grundstrom/Borgman. Those are my next 3

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Went with AJ. At a spot now where there are a glut of potentially good complimentary wingers that could be 20G - 45/50P guys that can slide up and down the top 9 and play solid D.

I think AJ has proven the most out of the bunch so far, scoring 20 in his first AHL season while showing a good two way game. A 2013 pick that's been around for awhile but I think he's just about ready.

AJ's status as a prospect really speaks to the fact that it's a young man's league now, especially for forwards.

He's made really good upward progress every year since he was drafted. But he's turning 23 this year and starting to run out of time already.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Grundstrom looked like the Marlies' best player when he came over. Making the transition that quickly spells good things for me.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Grundstrom, Bracco, Koshkov, Rasanen should be the next 4.

Why Bracco? He didn't exactly dominate the OHL in his 19YO season...

I suppose he had a good Memorial Cup, but thats about it. With his size, I was expecting a bit more TBH. (Which is why he's fallen out of my top 12ish)

Korshkov
Grundstrom
----------
Nielsen
Rasanen
Borgman
Haven't decided how I'd order these three yet
----------
Greenway
Rosen
Rychel
Woll
Brooks
Johnsson
Bracco
Aaltonen
Timashov
Gauthier
Scott
Joshua
Nor have I devided how to order these 12...

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Why Bracco? He didn't exactly dominate the OHL in his 19YO season...

I suppose he had a good Memorial Cup, but thats about it. With his size, I was expecting a bit more TBH. (Which is why he's fallen out of my top 12ish)

Korshkov
Grundstrom
----------
Nielsen
Rasanen
Borgman
Haven't decided how I'd order these three yet
----------
Greenway
Rosen
Rychel
Woll
Brooks
Johnsson
Aaltonen
Timashov
Gauthier
Scott
Joshua
Nor have I devided how to order these 11...

Bracco had a terrific season. His season ranked 115th all-time in PPG among 19 year olds in the OHL. If he didn't have a bit of a rough time adjusting at first in Windsor, he probably comes close to 100 points. He had a great Memorial Cup.

He didn't put up Marner numbers, but he's not going to be a superstar like Marner.

This kid has vision and offensive IQ that is nuts. His edge work and skating is great. He needs to get stronger, and he needs to work on his defensive positioning, and he's already gotten stronger from a year ago, and a guy named Sheldon Keefe has done a fantastic job teaching our prospects the defensive game, and a guy named Mike Babcock never letting them forget it.

I have no clue how such a solid prospect with the skill he has, gets hated on as much as Bracco.

To rate Gauthier, who may never make the NHL full-time above him, is just...

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
This s a tough one, but here's a quick look at the history of SHL Rookie of the Year winners going back to the year 2000...

2000 - Henrik Zetterberg
2001 - Rolf Wanhainen
2002 - Tobias Enstrom
2003 - Loui Eriksson
2004 - Oscar Steen
2005 - Nicklas Backstrom
2006 - Patrick Horrnqvist
2007 - Daniel Larsson
2008 - Victor Hedman
2009 - Jacob Markstrom
2010 - Mattias Ekholm
2011 - Johan Larsson
2012 - William Karlsson
2013 - Andreas Johnsson
2014 - Marcus Sorensen
2015 - Ludvig Rensfeldt
2016 - Andreas Borgman

Now, they're not all Elite players, but there's a lot of Elite company.
Neither would i say that there's any downward trend necessarily in the quality.
After all, it takes a few years sometimes to really know.

I haven't seen Borgman. Though scouting reports seem to indicate that the jury is more out as to 'Is he a bottom pairing or a top-4', rather than 'Is he an NHL quality player'?

Bear in mind that scoring is lower in the SHL when considering his 10 points in 14 playoff games to go with 15 in 45 regular season matches. I'd be willing to bet he got significantly better as the season went on. The leading scorer on his team had 31 points. He had a team best +23 rating.

Now, i like the info i'm seeing about Grundstrom and Yegor as well, but nothing i've seen or read in the last year necessarily screams top-6. I suppose the hoping is that Grundstorm, or either of them can develop into a 2nd/3rd line hybrid. That's fair.

Nielson and Greenway both interest me, but i'd want to see another year of them before i'd vote for them this high. Same with Woll. Same with Brooks needing to do it in the AHL. My concern with Rychel is his speed... Johnson got better and better as the season went on, and i'm curious to see where this year takes him. He could probably step into the NHL right now, though he won't due to the depth.

So, i get that Grundstom and Yegor are going in the next two slots. I don't necessarily disagree either, but looking at the names, i can't shake Borgman. I'd have him and Johnsson in the same tier as the other two. I'm casting my vote for Borgman here.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Bracco had a terrific season. His season ranked 115th all-time in PPG among 19 year olds in the OHL. If he didn't have a bit of a rough time adjusting at first in Windsor, he probably comes close to 100 points. He had a great Memorial Cup.

He didn't put up Marner numbers, but he's not going to be a superstar like Marner.

This kid has vision and offensive IQ that is nuts. His edge work and skating is great. He needs to get stronger, and he needs to work on his defensive positioning, and he's already gotten stronger from a year ago, and a guy named Sheldon Keefe has done a fantastic job teaching our prospects the defensive game, and a guy named Mike Babcock never letting them forget it.

I have no clue how such a solid prospect with the skill he has, gets hated on as much as Bracco.

To rate Gauthier, who may never make the NHL full-time above him, is just...

I meant to throw Bracco in that 3rd tier, but forgot.

Still, whats more impressive...

A 1.4 PPG 5'09 winger in the OHL
or
A 1.1 PPG 6'03 center in the NCAA
A 6'03" C putting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad