Prospect Info: 2017 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I thought consensus was SHL > AHL... I'd imagine its close.

Also Kyle Wood was probably best 20 YO defensman.

Stat watching would also tell you Andrew Nielsen was better than Dermott last year. Not the case.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON
I thought consensus was SHL > AHL... I'd imagine its close.

Also Kyle Wood was probably best 20 YO defensman.

Can't say I watched much of Wood, he obviously had better numbers, but I 'd like to hear if he played top pairing, 1PP and 1PK before I gave him the nod ahead of Dermott.

Probably harder to score in SHL (therefore equivalent points would be higher) but I've always thought AHL > SHL, can't say I've seen too many argue against that.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I want to be wrong but I can't help thinking that Dermott is summer of 2017's Timashov benefiting from a few confidently written glowing reports on hockey boards.

Travis Dermott, Andreas Johnsson finished the season as the two best Marlies.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with a 6'3" NCAA sophomore prospect who just put up a PPG season that he's not even in consideration for the top 10.

I think most people unfairly wrote off all three of those NCAA picks the 2014 draft class almost as soon as they were made. In addition, it's hard to get good viewing of that league on any internet stream.. more so than other leagues. Can't say that i've ever really seen him play ... 3 years later ... and i do try to see everyone.

But you're right. Dakota Joshua had a really good year.

...Anyway, glad to see Dermott is the consensus.
It get more muddy from here. Guys like Joshua, Aaltonen, Borgman, and Rosen are all less 'seen' by most of us, so it'll be tough to place them among other more well known players in the '2nd set' and onward...

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Factoring in potential, likelihood of reaching potential, and NHL readiness...

1. Liljegren
2. Kapanen
3. Dermott
4. Grundstrom
5. Korshkov
6. Borgman
7. Bracco
8. Johnsson
9. Nielsen
10. Rosen
11. Rasanen
12. Brooks
13. Gauthier
14. Woll
15. Rychel
16. Timashov
17. Aaltonen
18. Dzierkals
19. Greenway
20. Valiev
21. Lindberg
22. Scott
23. Engvall
24. Joshua
25. Lindgren

Interesting Follows
Ryan McGregor
Jack Walker
Nikolai Chebykin
Vladislav Kara
Vladimir Bobylev

The Rest
John Piccinich
Nolan Vesey
Kasimir Kaskisuo
Keaton Middleton
Nicolas Mattinen
Justin Holl
Trevor Moore
Ryan O'Connell

It's crazy that, pretty much from 7-19, you could say those guys are fairly interchangeable. I'm actually really high on Dzierkals and Greenway, but neither have touched professional ice yet, which is why I have them where they are. The top end is obviously not what it was 12 months ago, but the depth in our prospect pool is still great, and will hopefully graduate a bunch of depth players in the coming years.

Last edited:

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
Factoring in potential, likelihood of reaching potential, and NHL readiness...

1. Liljegren
2. Kapanen
3. Dermott
4. Grundstrom
5. Korshkov
6. Borgman
7. Bracco
8. Johnsson
9. Nielsen
10. Rosen
11. Rasanen
12. Brooks
13. Gauthier
14. Woll
15. Rychel
16. Timashov
17. Aaltonen
18. Dzierkals
19. Greenway
20. Valiev
21. Lindberg
22. Scott
23. Engvall
24. Joshua
25. Lindgren

Interesting Follows
Ryan McGregor
Jack Walker
Nikolai Chebykin
Vladislav Kara
Vladimir Bobylev

The Rest
John Piccinich
Nolan Vesey
Kasimir Kaskisuo
Keaton Middleton
Nicolas Mattinen
Justin Holl
Trevor Moore
Ryan O'Connell

It's crazy that, pretty much from 7-19, you could say those guys are fairly interchangeable. I'm actually really high on Dzierkals and Greenway, but neither have touched professional ice yet, which is why I have them where they are. The top end is obviously not what it was 12 months ago, but the depth in our prospect pool is still great, and will hopefully graduate a bunch of depth players in the coming years.

I can agree with this

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Shame, because Korshkov is better ;)

Grundstrom came over and showed he can play on NHL ice, Korshkov has to get back to form from his broken leg I know he played some games after the break but a summer of healing and back at it in the KHL

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Grundstrom came over and showed he can play on NHL ice, Korshkov has to get back to form from his broken leg I know he played some games after the break but a summer of healing and back at it in the KHL

6 games is way to small a sample size to say anything definitive. Why does it matter whether he goes back to the KHL or not? Korshkov > Grundstrom.

When Marleau is done, we bring in Korshkov :nod: no rush

Korshkov will be a full-time leaf before Grundstrom... mark my words... :nod:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
6 games is way to small a sample size to say anything definitive. Why does it matter whether he goes back to the KHL or not? Korshkov > Grundstrom.

Grundstrom would make a good LW for Matthews, from what I saw of him on the Marlies. Good hands around the net, score those greasy goals. I am thinking Korshkov is LW on Marners line? :laugh: who knows

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

ill take this bet, Grundstrom is far closer. no matter who you think is better, that broken leg put back Korshkov ETA and he was a longer term project to begin with.

I don't want to argue about this, you are more than welcome to prefer korshkov but you have never seen either play lets be honest here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad