Prospect Info: 2017 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Hello all, I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:
1. Timothy Liljegren -- 57.66%
2. Kasperi Kapanen -- 89.47%
3. Travis Dermott -- 83.75%
4. Carl Grundstrom -- 55.23%
5. Yegor Korshkov -- 35.67%
6. Jeremy Bracco --34.48%
7. Andreas Johnsson -- 25.48%
8. Andrew Nielsen -- 42.07%
9. Andreas Borgman -- 31.45%
10. Joseph Woll -- 31.54%
11. Eemeli Rasanan -- 26.67%
12. Kerby Rychel -- 27.87%

Dmytro Timashov
Miro Aaltonen
JD Greenway
Tobias Lindberg
Frederik Gauthier
Ian Scott
Martin Dzierkals
Justin Holl
Dakota Joshua
Rinat Valiev
Nicolas Mattinen
Keaton Middleton
Adam Brooks
Trevor Moore
Calle Rosen

John Piccinich
Pierre Engvall
Nolan Vesey
Jesper Lindgren
Kasimir Kaskisuo
Jack Walker
Nikolai Chebykin
Vladimir Bobylev
Vladislav Kara
Fedor Gordeev
Ryan McGregor
Ryan O'Connell

Prospect Ranking #1
Prospect Ranking #2
Prospect Ranking #3
Prospect Ranking #4
Prospect Ranking #5
Prospect Ranking #6
Prospect Ranking #7
Prospect Ranking #8
Prospect Ranking #9
Prospect Ranking #10
Prospect Ranking #11
Prospect Ranking #12

2016 Final Result
2015 Final Result
2014 Final Result
2013 Final Result
2012 Final Result
2011 Final Result
2010 Final Result

Suggest who I should add next. :D

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Timashov, Aaltonen, Rosen and maybe Brooks are the only ones left who may actually be able to make a fairly significant NHL impact

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
It's interesting that many considered Rosen to be more NHL ready and to make the Leafs this year, and yet Borgman took already a higher spot (at least by 4 rankings) in our pool. Higher ceiling perhaps?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It's interesting that many considered Rosen to be more NHL ready and to make the Leafs this year, and yet Borgman took already a higher spot (at least by 4 rankings) in our pool. Higher ceiling perhaps?

NHL ready does not mean a better prospect - one could be NHL ready but the ceiling is either bottom pairing "D" or a 4th liner, whereas another prospect is not ready for another year or more but is either a top 4 "D" or a top 6 "F"

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

Exactly. I'd certainly argue that Borgman has a good chance to be a top 4 defender one day. Rosen has more or less peaked and likely is a 5-6 defender(still great as a free wallet.)

That said, Rosen, Brooks or Aaltonen should be voted in here.

I'm going with Aaltonen as I see him as our first call up if a center goes down this season which could see him getting a good chunk of NHL games in.

Aaltonen got 44 points in 59 games in the KHL which translates to approximately 59 point in the NHL.

(44 ÷ 59) x .8(NHLe) =59.6

Ovbiously not saying he's going to score 60 points, but he could come in and blow some people's expectations.

Last edited:

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003
I'd put Bobylev & Kaskisou on the Docket ahead of Mattinen, Scott, Lindberg, Holl and Joshua.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Just noticed that Garret Sparks is missing. He's just turned 24... I think he should still be considered a prospect for another year or two?

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
At this range you've got to start giving Freddy Gauthier some votes. Of the remaining he's the one player who is pretty much guaranteed an NHL spot in the future (depending on his injury rehab). I think the plan is for the GOAT to take over the 4th line C role next season. Note that Moore was only signed for one year, and that Gauthier will only be back a few months into the season and will have to recover his form.

Rosen looks like he'll win this, afterwards I'd have it 14. Gauthier 15. Greenway 16. Brooks 17. Aaltonen 18. Joshua

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
At this range you've got to start giving Freddy Gauthier some votes. Of the remaining he's the one player who is pretty much guaranteed an NHL spot in the future (depending on his injury rehab). I think the plan is for the GOAT to take over the 4th line C role next season. Note that Moore was only signed for one year, and that Gauthier will only be back a few months into the season and will have to recover his form.

Rosen looks like he'll win this, afterwards I'd have it 14. Gauthier 15. Greenway 16. Brooks 17. Aaltonen 18. Joshua

Brooks should be next. Gauthier's career might be over so he should be excluded from the list.

Aaltonen is a real wild card but he scored in the KHL so could surprise.

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
Brooks should be next. Gauthier's career might be over so he should be excluded from the list.

Aaltonen is a real wild card but he scored in the KHL so could surprise.

Source?

Seems like jumping to a conclusion to fit an agenda. Gauthier made a lot of strides prior to getting injured. I know many, myself included, were pleasantly surprised on how he looked with the Leafs. If anything he raised his stock last season. I concede he has an undisclosed serious leg injury with a recovery timeline of 6 months to work back from but players have done it before.. Kapanen was out for three months before coming back

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003

Gauthier is not an NHL player. He will not be qualified following this year.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012

Still baffled by the hate. All the team did was win when he played last year.

In any case, i voted Miro Aaltonen, and probably would have had him at a conservative #9 to #11. As another poster noted, his production last year could translate to a 60 point NHL pace. No way to really be sure how he will play this year, but... when he falls out of our top-15 it will be at least a little bit facepalm worthy.

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003

It's not hate. When a player's absolute best potential upside is a 4th line center, is big, but not especially physical, has no hands, and is an average at best skater, then he is not exactly jumping-off my prospect board. I probably have 5-6 more guys to go before I get to Gauthier.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
It's not hate. When a player's absolute best potential upside is a 4th line center, is big, but not especially physical, has no hands, and is an average at best skater, then he is not exactly jumping-off my prospect board. I probably have 5-6 more guys to go before I get to Gauthier.

Remember when many here had Gauthier ranked as a higher prospect, than Brown?

Good times. :)

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

In any case, i voted Miro Aaltonen, and probably would have had him at a conservative #9 to #11. As another poster noted, his production last year could translate to a 60 point NHL pace. No way to really be sure how he will play this year, but... when he falls out of our top-15 it will be at least a little bit facepalm worthy.

Stat watchers will never see Gauthier as anything but a big stone handed 4th line plug. Glad the Leafs see him for what he is. He'll be back playing with them soon.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Gauthier a victim of a deep pool.

No one sees upside, especially offense in a stacked pool at forward. Thus he falls when he is injured as well. I'm voting Brooks to get that 4th line C in the future. We saw the exact same thing with Liljegren at the draft this year. It doesn't take much for guys to jump past you.Where amongst the NHL from 1 to 31 does Toronto's prospect pool rank? My blind guess is 16th. But it is deep, too deep for Gauthier to make top 20.

One guys claims we are 8th best pool in NHL !

Last edited:

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003
Stat watchers will never see Gauthier as anything but a big stone handed 4th line plug. Glad the Leafs see him for what he is. He'll be back playing with them soon.

lol

The Leafs see him for what he is alright. That's why they claimed Ben Smith off waivers (by one of the worst teams the past decade) and gave him 36 starts.

Last edited:

LeafsRReady

Aug 14, 2011

Interesting take. Kind of surprising that Babcock would give a non NHL player 21 games last year when he's got NHL ready players that can't get into the lineup.

wasting time

Feb 12, 2003
Interesting take. Kind of surprising that Babcock would give a non NHL player 21 games last year when he's got NHL ready players that can't get into the lineup.

...after Ben Smith was injured. Yea, Ben Smith (who tore up the AHL when he was a prospect, unlike Gauthier)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad