Prospect Info: 2017 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #10

Status
Not open for further replies.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
For the fourth straight time, I went with Rosén. Come on guys... you gotta group the two Swedes together. Right?

Rasanen's likely to make the NHL but unlikely to be more than a #5-6, which is essentially what Rosén is at this point.

Agreed that the two Swedish Dmen need to be together in a ranking exercise. A 23 year old who made Team Sweden, even as a 7th D, deserves to be in the top ten.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
still the only guy sticking out like a sore thumb on this list is bracco. everyone else makes sense.

Agreed. I don't even see him being a future NHLer while I see Rychel definitely carving out a niche.

Just because Bracco has pretty edge work, vision, and is a good passer doesn't make up for his deficiencies in pretty much every other aspect of being an NHL player

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Went with Kerby, but Woll works for me as well.

After those two it's between Brooks, Rasanen, and Rosen for me.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Holy ****, get over the fact Bracco got picked.

I actually have him ahead of Korshkov on my list, and clearly there's a majority of Leaf fans who believe he's deserving of spot #6.

His production has been fine, but his potential is so sky-high that of he even sniffs it, he's a top-6 winger.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd have Eemeli Rasanen in the top 5 Leafs prospects and ahead of players like Bracco and Johnsson.

Only Liljegren, Kapanen and Dermott would be considered better at this point, after that he would be in the mix with the next grouping.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Add Middleton for voting.

Fun fact: (And I'm a fan of the Rasanen pick). Both Middleton and Gordeev outscored him at 5v5 this year

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Holy ****, get over the fact Bracco got picked.

I actually have him ahead of Korshkov on my list, and clearly there's a majority of Leaf fans who believe he's deserving of spot #6.

His production has been fine, but his potential is so sky-high that of he even sniffs it, he's a top-6 winger.

I wouldn't really describe his production is "fine" if you're using it to project him into the NHL. Brown and Brooks were/are longshots and they each outproduced Bracco at the same age by like 30%+.

I see what people see in Bracco, he looks like a million bucks sometimes, but you gotta turn it into production and he hasn't done that was well as he should.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I like Timashov's tools and I believe he should be higher than where he will end up on this list. I think he will be a better overall player than Bracco.

I think Woll is placed perfectly here at 10.... Rasanen is a shiny toy effect, but I do like him.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I like Timashov's tools and I believe he should be higher than where he will end up on this list. I think he will be a better overall player than Bracco.

I think Woll is placed perfectly here at 10.... Rasanen is a shiny toy effect, but I do like him.

Bracco is going to get healthily scratched, low minutes until he figures out the Pro game in the AHL, Keefe, coaches to win. Timashov and Moore played good hockey in the second half, last season.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

Fun fact: (And I'm a fan of the Rasanen pick). Both Middleton and Gordeev outscored him at 5v5 this year

I can never find good OHL stats - do you see this as more of a knock on Rasanen or a pumping of Middleton/Gordeev's tires as being undervalued offensively? I don't know how their 5v5 scoring rates look against the backdrop of other defensemen in the league

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I can never find good OHL stats - do you see this as more of a knock on Rasanen or a pumping of Middleton/Gordeev's tires as being undervalued offensively? I don't know how their 5v5 scoring rates look against the backdrop of other defensemen in the league

Middleton is highly underrated. That is for sure.

Hronek was very valuable for Saginaw offensively back there, but Middleton is the core there now.

If he progresses well this year, he is a lock for an ELC IMO. Just looking at the scrimmages, his offense has improved a lot. Still makes the odd mistake in his own zone, but there has been a drastic jump.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I wouldn't really describe his production is "fine" if you're using it to project him into the NHL. Brown and Brooks were/are longshots and they each outproduced Bracco at the same age by like 30%+.

I see what people see in Bracco, he looks like a million bucks sometimes, but you gotta turn it into production and he hasn't done that was well as he should.

Let's split his season into a few different parts, shall we?

Kitchener:
PPG - 1.88
P/57GP - 107 (he wouldve only been behind Debrincat & Raddysh)

Windsor:
PPG - 1.07
P/57GP - 61

Looks like when he went to Windsor his points dropped significantly. That's due to the fact he got a smaller role on a stacked team that plays a completely different style of hockey.

WJC:
PPG - 0.71
P - 5

Didn't play top-line minutes, and there were 5 Americans ahead of him in scoring. If you believe Greenway and Terry are better than him, all the power to you. White, Keller & McAvoy were the others ahead of him.

Oh, he also outproduced Kunin, Jost, McLeod, and Bellows to name a few 1st round picks that are progressing just fine.

Playoffs:
PPG - 0.71

Didn't have a great playoffs, but they got beat by the Knights in the first round, so nobody on that team really did.

Memorial Cup:
PPG - 2

Tied for 4th in points with only Strome, Debrincat, and Raddysh ahead of him. Remember that 10+ goal game?

He's progressing fine, and as I said in the last thread (or the one before it?), he's always been a 4 year prospect, and he's only done year 2.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

funner fact: Gordeevs own coach talks about how much he sheltered him last season, and that he hopes to try him out on top pair next season. Meanwhile Gilmour was talking about how Rasanen was their best dman from the start of the season

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Went with Rasanen. Although Woll and Rychel are respectable picks.

Whenever I see a guy with all the benefits of a big player but few downfalls of it like a Niemelainen type, it intrigues me.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Middleton is highly underrated. That is for sure.

Hronek was very valuable for Saginaw offensively back there, but Middleton is the core there now.

If he progresses well this year, he is a lock for an ELC IMO. Just looking at the scrimmages, his offense has improved a lot. Still makes the odd mistake in his own zone, but there has been a drastic jump.

I sort of thought that it was a foregone conclusion that Middleton's offense was non-existent.

The thing that impressed me was the clips of him at camp last year, crazy mobile for a huge man. I thought his upside was something like Tryamkin, suppressing defense with very limited offense, but a great guy to have against other teams scoring lines and on the PK

It'll be interesting to see what he does if he gets some offensive opportunity

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

Kitchener:
PPG - 1.88

Windsor:
PPG - 1.07
P/57GP - 61

Looks like when he went to Windsor his points dropped significantly. That's due to the fact he got a smaller role on a stacked team that plays a completely different style of hockey.

WJC:
PPG - 0.71
P - 5

Didn't play top-line minutes, and there were 5 Americans ahead of him in scoring. If you believe Greenway and Terry are better than him, all the power to you. White, Keller & McAvoy were the others ahead of him.

Oh, he also outproduced Kunin, Jost, McLeod, and Bellows to name a few 1st round picks that are progressing just fine.

Playoffs:
PPG - 0.71

Didn't have a great playoffs, but they got beat by the Knights in the first round, so nobody on that team really did.

Memorial Cup:
PPG - 2

Tied for 4th in points with only Strome, Debrincat, and Raddysh ahead of him. Remember that 10+ goal game?

He's progressing fine, and as I said in the last thread (or the one before it?), he's always been a 4 year prospect, and he's only done year 2.

What an excellent post. I don't see anything wrong with his progression for what and who he is. He is not ever going to be a Babcock type guy but if he keeps being a winner at every level that's valuable to us or another organization.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Kitchener:
PPG - 1.88

Windsor:
PPG - 1.07
P/57GP - 61

WJC:
PPG - 0.71
P - 5

Playoffs:
PPG - 0.71

Memorial Cup:
PPG - 2

None of this is particularly compelling as far as projecting him into the NHL. He spent a few months producing at a level that would have me on board and that's about it. His overall junior career was pretty unimpressive and if the best defense is that he got buried as a 19 year old, it doesn't really help.

Not saying he's garbage or won't make it, since things can change in a hurry, but his junior career doesn't project it.

I mean, if Bracco's junior career does it for you, then I have to ask what you think of Brooks? He has to be a world beater in comparison.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
After the top 3, we have 10-12 prospects that are largely interchangeable

true, except the second group is more like 7-8 guys, ans bracco isn't one of them.

the group of interchangeables after the top 3: Grundstrom korshkov rosen borgman nielsen rasanen johnsson and maybe woll.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
None of this is particularly compelling as far as projecting him into the NHL. He spent a few months producing at a level that would have me on board and that's about it. His overall junior career was pretty unimpressive and if the best defense is that he got buried as a 19 year old, it doesn't really help.

Not saying he's garbage or won't make it, since things can change in a hurry, but his junior career doesn't project it.

As I said, his junior career has progressed as expected. He's been a 4 year prospect since the day we drafted him, and it's only been 2 years. Not only should you give him a break, you should accept him for how great he is at what he does.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
but he's not great at the one and only thing he does, unfortunately.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
but he's not great at the one and only thing he does, unfortunately.

He is.. and he proved it this season in Kitchener, the WJC, and in the Memorial Cup.

When he went to Windsor, it was clearly not the right move for him. The way Rocky Thompson's brand of hockey is is not the way Bracco excels at playing.

Just think, if he stayed in Kitchener he would probably have ended up with 100-110 points, and your entire smear campaign would not exist. Instead he got traded to Windsor, and was probably the 2nd most important player on the memorial cup winning run.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
As I said, his junior career has progressed as expected. He's been a 4 year prospect since the day we drafted him, and it's only been 2 years. Not only should you give him a break, you should accept him for how great he is at what he does.

Yup. He is very good at that aspect as well. Excellent skater with great play making who is improving on his overall game.
#6 sounds about right for him.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I sort of thought that it was a foregone conclusion that Middleton's offense was non-existent.

The thing that impressed me was the clips of him at camp last year, crazy mobile for a huge man. I thought his upside was something like Tryamkin, suppressing defense with very limited offense, but a great guy to have against other teams scoring lines and on the PK

It'll be interesting to see what he does if he gets some offensive opportunity

His offensive ability in camp this year has been surprising
He skates well moves the puck well and has a decent shot

He's a guy that would put up more points if he didn't get insanely heavy defensive usage
Ask anyone who watched the Spirit and they will tell you that if there's a DZ draw or defensive situation Middleton is on the ice for it
The teams not great either

Went with Woll in the poll to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad