Prospect Info: 2017 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #1 - Read OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I really like lilijgren but he has more question marks to his game than kapanen. I went kappy even though his impact on the team will be lesser than lilijgren if both reach their top end level,(mostly due to defense impacting a team more than a winger and that kappy is blocked from being the best winger by marner, and maybe nylander). Still i think that in the end lilejgren ends up a 35 pt 2/3 dmen and kappy a 60 pt winger with strong defensive game. I went him for this one, but honestly a part of me wanted to go neither kappy or liljgren and take dermott who i'm expecting to be the gardiner replacement when/if he walks/traded in his final year in 18/19.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Seems like a lot of shiny new toy syndrome. I like Timmy but I do not see how he is ahead of Kapanen. He is fighting Dermott for number 2 IMO.

It's based on potential. Most fans see the ceiling as: Liljegren as a future mid-level#1RHD (Better than Rielly level), Kappy as a low-end 1st liner (Kadri level).

Think of it like a regular NHL draft. Who would you pick if you had a choice of prospect (BPA) for your team? Not a single person would choose Dermott over Liljegren.

I voted for Liljegren but it was honestly close between Liljegren and Kapanen imo.

Agree, I went with Kapanen. Then you could even argue Dermott is ahead of Liljegren as he has shown he can play at the pro level effectively.

See above ^.

Also, Liljegren has already shown he can play at the pro level effectively with Rogle BK in SHL in 2015-2016 and then somewhat effectively in 2016-2017.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Just a suggestion, after round one of voting, whomever doesn't win between Liljegren and Kapanen, can we automatically make them #2, and skip to #3. It seems pretty obvious the 2nd place of this 1st vote is going to win the next vote.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Just a suggestion, after round one of voting, whomever doesn't win between Liljegren and Kapanen, can we automatically make them #2, and skip to #3. It seems pretty obvious the 2nd place of this 1st vote is going to win the next vote.

Agreed with this.

Should be a close-one between Bracco and Dermott but I think Borgman is going to impress many around here. So for me it's a toss-up between Bracco/Borgman/Dermott (I would vote in that order as well)

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Seems like a lot of shiny new toy syndrome. I like Timmy but I do not see how he is ahead of Kapanen. He is fighting Dermott for number 2 IMO.

Get this shiny new toy syndrome nonsense out of here, they're all OUR prospects. I don't love my younger son more than my oldest. Such a dumb saying.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Get this shiny new toy syndrome nonsense out of here, they're all OUR prospects. I don't love my younger son more than my oldest. Such a dumb saying.

ROFL. "I do not like that term because it is dumb, you are dumb and everyone who does not agree with me is dumb." Some 6 year old on a playground.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

But we got to know the % of the votes :P

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
ROFL. "I do not like that term because it is dumb, you are dumb and everyone who does not agree with me is dumb." Some 6 year old on a playground.

No, I don't like it because it's the same thing every year when someone's preferred prospect isn't the winner of the poll. Like clock work.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
It is amazing when you look at the 2014 voting, how many of the prospects are no longer with the Leafs. They really wasted no time gutting the Burke/Nonis built prospect pool.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
1 - Liljegren
2 - Kapanen
3 - Korshkov
4 - Dermott
5 - Grundstrom
6 - Nielsen
7 - Rasanen
8 - Borgman
9 - Greenway
10 - Rosen
11 - Rychel
12 - Woll
13 - Brooks
14 - Johnsson
15 - Bracco
16 - Aaltonen
17 - Timashov
18 - Gauthier
19 - Scott
20 - Joshua
21 - Sparks
22 - Chebykin
23 - Gordeev
24 - Moore
25 - Kara
26 - Lindberg
27 - Valiev
28 - Middleton
29 - Holl
30 - Vesey

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I am afraid some of these prospects are not going to be part of this organization for very long - surprise to see votes for Brooks at this stage

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
No, I don't like it because it's the same thing every year when someone's preferred prospect isn't the winner of the poll. Like clock work.

Sadly for you then Timmy is my favorite prospect. Kapanen is just more proven and more likely to be an impact NHLer at this point where as Timmy was passed on by 16 other teams and is not a sure thing. I 100% hope Timmy is our #1 D in waiting but he is no where near that conversation yet, IMO.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I am surprised Kapanen is losing this. However much more upside Liljegren might have is dwarfed by the difference in their respective floors.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Has to be Liljegren given his sky-high potential. Kapanen could become a top 6 scoring winger for us which would be fantastic, but that pales in comparison to what Liljegren could turn into. I happily take my chances with him

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I voted for Dermott, and here's why...

It's between Liljegren, Kapanen, and Dermott, clearly for the top-3.
That's understood.

Liljegren has the excitement of having contended for #1 overall until he got injured, and yes, that counts for something, but he has yet to prove anything. He's not going to walk into the NHL next season. If he comes out and has a dominant +1 year, then he's belongs at the top, but right now, it's still something we hope for. He might not even play in the NHL ever.

Kapanen has proven more, and will be most likely an NHL contributor. Is Liljegren's ceiling higher? Probably... to a degree... Kap could still land anywhere between being a 30 point and a 70 point winger. It's highly likely he will be something in that range.

Dermott was so good down the stretch last year, that he simply should not be overlooked. It is for this reason i feel he is #1. The way his game took off last year after coming back from injury had both fan scouts, and real scouts alike pointing to him as a likely top-4 D-man as soon as this season and if not immediately, then certainly by next season. In fact, it would be a real step back at this point if he doesn't play regular minutes in the NHL, with his floor being #5. Furthermore, based on his progress last year, there's still a very real chance that he tops out as a 2-way #2/#3 on a contending team and plays for many years. He's going to be a VERY valuable player for many years.

Liljegren simply is still much more of a hopeful to reach that level, even though there's an outside tease that he could be a #1. And Kap, even in a best case scenario, tops out a little less in value than either.

Anyway, just my two cents.

-----------------

Add JD Greenway, because he got a lot of praise last year from professionals.

Last edited:

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Liljegren > Kapanen > Dermott > everyone else in some kind of order.

If Liljegren hits his ceiling, we basically have an Erik Karlsson clone. If Kapanen puts everything together offensively, we have a crazy fast winger who can pot 25-30 goals and fill in any line on the team. If Dermott hits his ceiling, we have a reliable, stable top 4 D who can fill in on the top pair if needed. No one else in the pool really has the same kind of expectations. I believe Rasanen will turn out very well for us (Reminds me a lot of Parayko) and could potentially be our Parayko, but time will tell. We actually have quite an underrated pool at the moment, which is hilarious considering we have Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Rielly, Kadri and Andersen already on the team.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Thanks Schenn.

I went with Kappy after a tough decision. I usually value potential the highest especially this early in the rankings, but Kapanen had a crazy good year; so went with him.

Add Greenway or Timashov.

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
voted for Kapanen. the 2 votes for Brooks are puzzling and not sure if serious. but who knows really how things will shape out in 2-3 years time; would be a pleasant surprise if he emerged as the #1 prospect out of a rather deep pool...

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I voted for Dermott, and here's why...

It's between Liljegren, Kapanen, and Dermott, clearly for the top-3.
That's understood.

Liljegren has the excitement of having contended for #1 overall until he got injured, and yes, that counts for something, but he has yet to prove anything. He's not going to walk into the NHL next season. If he comes out and has a dominant +1 year, then he's belongs at the top, but right now, it's still something we hope for. He might not even play in the NHL ever.

Kapanen has proven more, and will be most likely an NHL contributor. Is Liljegren's ceiling higher? Probably... to a degree... Kap could still land anywhere between being a 30 point and a 70 point winger. It's highly likely he will be something in that range.

Dermott was so good down the stretch last year, that he simply should not be overlooked. It is for this reason i feel he is #1. The way his game took off last year after coming back from injury had both fan scouts, and real scouts alike pointing to him as a likely top-4 D-man as soon as this season and if not immediately, then certainly by next season. In fact, it would be a real step back at this point if he doesn't play regular minutes in the NHL, with his floor being #5. Furthermore, based on his progress last year, there's still a very real chance that he tops out as a 2-way #2/#3 on a contending team and plays for many years. He's going to be a VERY valuable player for many years.

Liljegren simply is still much more of a hopeful to reach that level, even though there's an outside tease that he could be a #1. And Kap, even in a best case scenario, tops out a little less in value than either.

Anyway, just my two cents.

-----------------

Add JD Greenway, because he got a lot of praise last year from professionals.

Its not a clear top 3 to me. I have Korshkov rated ahead of Dermott.

Korshkov had a really good season but was out with an injury for much of it. He gets overlooked here, but has the size, speed, skill and smarts to be a top line player IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia