Prospect Info: 2017 IIHF World Junior Championships

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Yep. Most impressive prospect on Team USA by a mile. Well maybe Clayton Keller is near him but McAvoy was just incredible on the back end. I know Boston really wants Shatty but they'll have him in a year or two in McAvoy.

McAvoy was excellent in the medal round, but he was not good at all in the preliminary games. It was to the point that I had to look it up and make sure he was the first rounder from last year and highly touted prospect. He definitely righted the ship after the round robin games. He was REALLY good last night.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Anyone else notice our boy Tage Thompson got benched in OT? That's no good.

I think he got kicked off the Roslovic/Bellows line in the 3rd as well.

Yeah, he didn't play much in the 3rd and when he did, it was on the 4th line. And then the US shortened their bench and went with 3 lines. TT only played a couple shifts in the 3rd and I don't think played a single second of OT.

I suppose it's also possible he hurt himself a bit as I recall him taking a good tumble into the boards in the 2nd which corresponds pretty much with when he was moved down to the 4th line/benched.

Heck of a game though. So glad I watched that over the Blues game. Even my wife, who isn't much of a hickey fan, got into the gold medal game and watched the end.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I'm happy that Tage showed potential. You can see the talent level, and while he has things to work on, they are teachable.

His first stride skating could use work, and at times he looks a little lost and floats around. His shot is good, but selection can be a bit off. These are all things that with the right coaching, will get better.

I do think he has excellent hands, especially in tight. Again, good shot, and for a big man he is a decent skater. He needs to fill out his frame but his size is very nice.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Injury rates increase as fatigue increases.

You don't have to take my word for it, as there have been numerous studies done on the subject across a wide range of sports and competitions. Managing fatigue levels is a huge part of competitive sport training nowadays, because there's evidence that it matters...a lot.

One's fatigue level after 80-100+ minutes of play is obviously not the same as one's fatigue level after 0-60 minutes of play. The two can't be equated.

I can't say why the IIHF chose 80 minutes as their standard, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there were sport specific studies done on the subject...perhaps even commissioned by the IIHF itself. Whatever the reason(s), I'm sure the decision wasn't arbitrary.

None of that might matter to a fan who simply doesn't care if a kid gets hurt or not, but the parties involved and governing body absolutely should care about such things.

I have no doubt that fatigue increases likelihood of injury, but fatigue does not equal injury.

Fatigue is not something that can be easily measured from a game to game basis just due to the physical conditioning of different players. Some of those guys could have been fatigued after the first period while others might not have been at all throughout the game. Both scenarios are equally likely. Sure, the fatigue levels increase, but by how much is highly variable. This is one of the largest reasons that I stated later that using injury becomes too much of a blanket statement. Using fatigue almost epitomizes that idea because of all the other confounding variables that induce both mental or physical fatigue, like high levels of stress or insufficient sleep. That doesn't mean it's not a valid reason, I just feel that the outcome of injury is a risk for every game. So to use it to justify ending it after 80 minutes with a shootout instead of something like spreading the games over a longer period of time is not that convincing.

Also, while I don't think this was your intention, don't insinuate that I don't care for player safety. I'm not suggesting goalies play with their masks off or that spearing should be allowed. I don't want these guys to struggle later in life because of a game. Saying that, I don't think playing longer in one game was going to cause such an injury of that magnitude. I'd even wager that an injury of that scale would happen earlier in the game because of the amount of energy and vigor each team would have compared to the end.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The World Cup ends in PK's, and that's arguably the biggest spoting event in the world. I think the WJC ending in a shootout is just fine. Those kids don't need to be playing those types of minutes.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The World Cup ends in PK's, and that's arguably the biggest spoting event in the world. I think the WJC ending in a shootout is just fine. Those kids don't need to be playing those types of minutes.

I don't really have a problem with it either.

Next goals wins isn't exactly an amazing concept either, a slip/funny bounce/lineman getting in the way can determine games in that scenario.

There is no ideal solution.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I have no doubt that fatigue increases likelihood of injury, but fatigue does not equal injury.

Fatigue is not something that can be easily measured from a game to game basis just due to the physical conditioning of different players. Some of those guys could have been fatigued after the first period while others might not have been at all throughout the game. Both scenarios are equally likely. Sure, the fatigue levels increase, but by how much is highly variable. This is one of the largest reasons that I stated later that using injury becomes too much of a blanket statement. Using fatigue almost epitomizes that idea because of all the other confounding variables that induce both mental or physical fatigue, like high levels of stress or insufficient sleep. That doesn't mean it's not a valid reason, I just feel that the outcome of injury is a risk for every game. So to use it to justify ending it after 80 minutes with a shootout instead of something like spreading the games over a longer period of time is not that convincing.

Also, while I don't think this was your intention, don't insinuate that I don't care for player safety. I'm not suggesting goalies play with their masks off or that spearing should be allowed. I don't want these guys to struggle later in life because of a game. Saying that, I don't think playing longer in one game was going to cause such an injury of that magnitude. I'd even wager that an injury of that scale would happen earlier in the game because of the amount of energy and vigor each team would have compared to the end.
Definitely wasn't my intention to insinuate that you don't care for player safety. Just a general point, which is probably applicable to many people who watched the game. I wouldn't necessarily expect a random hockey fan tuning in to watch to care more about the safety of someone they don't know and will never meet over their enjoyment of the game, so I'm not judging anyone who falls into that category. I'm just trying to point out that the parties involved and governing body do have that vested interest, and it's one that I think should be taken into account when formulating policies.

I'm well aware that fatigue levels are highly variable. Nobody it trying to say that an injury was guaranteed should the game have continued without shootouts. The people who set the policy are simply trying to determine what's the best balance point between ending the game "ideally" (subjective, obviously) and protecting the parties involved from increasing/unusual levels of risk. I doubt the line they ultimately decided on was an arbitrary one.

Hockey is a fast game that relies on balance and reflexes. If your legs stop responding the way you are used to, you could easily go headfirst into the boards when pushed normally from behind, or slide into the boards at high speed if you can't hold your edge, or take a full hit that you might otherwise dodge.

Sure, those things can happen anyway, but I can tell you from personal experience that they're a lot more likely to happen when your legs are burnt out, which can easily happen in a 2+ OT game regardless of what your fatigue level was coming in.

I pulled up to stop on a puck once, but executed the stop awkwardly thanks to my jelly legs and ended up unbalanced. A simple shove from behind pitched me headfirst into the boards. Probably had a concussion, though I didn't know it at the time, but it obviously could have been a lot worse. That was during my 3rd game in 24 hours during a tournament (none went to OT), and I was a college athlete at the time, so in pretty good shape. At some point during that 3rd game I hit a wall and my form/execution went to hell, and things got dangerous.

Completely anecdotal, so I'm not trying to "prove" anything. I'm just illustrating that I've been there. I know how it feels to play at that level of fatigue, and (for me, anyway) my injury risks were well beyond my normal standards. I didn't care at the time because I was a kid, but looking back as a much older person, I wish that someone had been looking out for me. Other people will have different perspectives, but that's where I'm coming from.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00