Prospect Info: 2017 IIHF World Junior Championships

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I love this tournament so I'm hoping it's cool to have it's own thread.

Blues look to have 3 guys that should be playing in the tournament:

Tage Thompson(USA)
Adam Musil(Czech Republic)
Nikolaj Krag Christensen(Denmark)

Next few weeks are going to be fantastic for hockey fans around St. Louis. Alumni Game, Winter Classic, and WJCs. This tournament ranks right up there with the playoffs and the draft for me in terms of excitement :) So fun to watch.

I guess this is where I say "discuss".

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Thompson sounds like he's been playing well at the US camp, don't see a scenario where he's not on the team. The US could definitely use a player with his kind of shot, especially with Boeser already out.

Not really expecting much from Musil or NKC. Musil might have a decent tournament, but from what I've heard regarding NKC i'm not going to hold my breath for anything spectacular. He's barely up points in the Swedish U-20 league.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
Thompson sounds like he's been playing well at the US camp, don't see a scenario where he's not on the team. The US could definitely use a player with his kind of shot, especially with Boeser already out.

Not really expecting much from Musil or NKC. Musil might have a decent tournament, but from what I've heard regarding NKC i'm not going to hold my breath for anything spectacular. He's barely up points in the Swedish U-20 league.
Krag could be a dark horse. He kinda gets shipped up/down the u20 amen SHL club. Not saying he will be lights out but I wouldn't be shocked if he had a good showing. Thompson should play well this tourney, he does go through spells of going cold but when he's on...the goals are in bunches.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Krag could be a dark horse. He kinda gets shipped up/down the u20 amen SHL club. Not saying he will be lights out but I wouldn't be shocked if he had a good showing. Thompson should play well this tourney, he does go through spells of going cold but when he's on...the goals are in bunches.

TT doesn't go through cold spells. He is the primary player on his team - and therefore teams game plan him specifically. UConn doesn't have a ton of scoring depth. TT has had 4 points in their 6 losses and three of those came in the game against OSU. As TT goes, so do the Huskies.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Reading through the US Roster thread on the main board it seems that Thompson will definitely have a spot in the Top 6 and on the PP. US is going to have a disgusting PP. You have two great trigger-men in Thompson and Macavoy(I'm sure I spelled that wrong), along with Bellows and Keller setting things up. I expect it to be a pretty lethal combination.

Thompson has been practicing on a line with Clayton Keller and Alex Debrincat. He's going to have a very strong showing if he sticks on that line.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Reading through the US Roster thread on the main board it seems that Thompson will definitely have a spot in the Top 6 and on the PP. US is going to have a disgusting PP. You have two great trigger-men in Thompson and Macavoy(I'm sure I spelled that wrong), along with Bellows and Keller setting things up. I expect it to be a pretty lethal combination.

Thompson has been practicing on a line with Clayton Keller and Alex Debrincat. He's going to have a very strong showing if he sticks on that line.

That's awesome that he'll be with Keller. I think Keller is gonna have a monster tourney.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Watched some of the camp up in buffalo last weekend. Luv thompson. Can move and has sick hands for his size. Finds the soft areas in the D, needs to learn to catch and shoot and eliminate that extra handle. He's gonna be a stud tho. I think he's on aline with Clayton Keller so he will be given every opportunity to showcase his talent.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Thompson with a PP goal against Switzerland in a pre-tourney game. No idea what it looked like. I can only follow through USA Hockey's Twitter feed.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Has Thompson been splitting center duties with Keller or just solely been playing wing?

Every time that I've seen him listed on the line rushes it's as a winger, but that's obviously far from conclusive. I haven't seen any of the games.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
source.gif

Tage Thompson (Orange, Conn./Univ. of Connecticut) made it 4-2 when he tallied on the power-play off a pass from Clayton Keller (St. Louis, Mo./Boston University)

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
It will be so nice to have a threat like Thompson on the PP. Tarasenko is great but he never one-times it like that.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
So far, I've been very wrong with Thompson, and I have never felt so good about being wrong.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
From the main thread, someone pointed out that Thompson had a poor first two periods. Not great on the cycle and just looked out of sorts. However, the one timer goal he scored was an absolute bullet. This was my concern with him, that he had a great shot but not much else in his arsenal. Hopefully that's not the case and he just had a bad game. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on him in the WJC games i manage to watch, although i doubt i'll see many.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Thompson with another 2 goals through the first period of the USA vs Czech pre tourney game

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Debrincat one of the final cuts for Team USA. It's easy to look at his stats in the CHL and be perplexed, but he was legitimately terrible last year in the WJC. Like a total liability. I'm happy he was left off. Forward group is plenty strong without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad