Prospect Info: 2017 HF Devils Top 20 Prospect Rankings: #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
There was definitely some skepticism that Henrique was benefiting from playing alongside Hall. It's about projecting the most likely option.

There seems to be a big gap between the people who like and don't like Wood which doesn't help matters.

When Hockeys Future did our top 10 in 2011, Henrique was leading Albany in scoring.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/12826/jon_merrill_tops_new_jersey_devils_spring_top20/

And the kicker, Henrique's 6th ranking was up from #9 the previous year. Urbom top 5, Fayne barely making the top 20 at 16....that is from bias and not at all rooted in reality. Our prospect list often becomes a popularity contest.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Josefson and Tedenby were in the NHL at the time of that article. Using your justification for Wood it would
Make sense for them to be ranked ahead of Henrique at that time

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Tough choice between Rykov, Anderson, and Speers. Went with Rykov. Speers is closest, and Anderson has been impressive, but I have a very good feeling about Rykov. If he comes over in two years he can really hit the ground running. Although he doesn't play a big role on SKA, the fact that he's even on the team says a lot.

Add Gignac

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Josefson and Tedenby were in the NHL at the time of that article. Using your justification for Wood it would
Make sense for them to be ranked ahead of Henrique at that time

I think that is a misunderstanding of what I mean and am saying.

A players who's floor is headed to the KHL/SEL 3 years after being drafted like I believe Boqvist has, should never ever be ahead of a prospect who will clearly have an NHL career.

It really is that simple...as that player proves a little more, against better competition...THEN you move that player up the chart....but 30 days after drafting a boom/bust player it's silly to have that prospect above a Mueller, Wood, Rykov and Speers who has proven much less than the other 3.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think that is a misunderstanding of what I mean and am saying.

A players who's floor is headed to the KHL/SEL 3 years after being drafted like I believe Boqvist has, should never ever be ahead of a prospect who will clearly have an NHL career.

It really is that simple...as that player proves a little more, against better competition...THEN you move that player up the chart....but 30 days after drafting a boom/bust player it's silly to have that prospect above a Mueller, Wood, Rykov and Speers who has proven much less than the other 3.

No it wasn't? Josefson clearly had an NHL career in 2011 and was clearly above Henrique on the depth chart and here we are in 2017 and while that's no longer true he's still getting one-way NHL contracts. What you should be taking issue with is Burlon being ranked over him, I guess?

I don't think you've used a very good example to support your case.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
No it wasn't? Josefson clearly had an NHL career in 2011 and was clearly above Henrique on the depth chart and here we are in 2017 and while that's no longer true he's still getting one-way NHL contracts. What you should be taking issue with is Burlon being ranked over him, I guess?

I don't think you've used a very good example to support your case.
I was specifically referencing Tedenby. And many people here knew he wouldn't be an NHL player very early on. It was a regular topic here then. Tedenby over Henrique at any point those two were in our system was unjustifiable...and that was obvious then. Very obvious, so this isn't a hindsight kind of thing.

So I am talking about a prospect that is projected to be top 6 forward or nothing with a low probability of reaching it or a prospect with little proven record of success... I don't necessarily define success in points either...for instance I think Wood being selected for the WJC team out of highschool, first USA team member in over 20 years to be selected out of highschool, is a major success in his career. I think Rykov playing in a Pro league is a success, I think Speers getting NHL games is a success. Draft position, type cast and hope should have no value, unless you are talking about a true blue chip like Hischier or another top 10 pick.

You are right Josefson showed a lot in between injuries early on...he deserved his ranking especially with how weak our pool was at the time. But he was never the type I'm really talking about, in fact, I would say Josefson is the opposite of what I am talking about and represents more of the low cieling and more certain career that I think should always be ranked ahead of Tedenby type.

Seeing a Boqvist get votes right now, and a lot of them, seems strange to me.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Boqvist was just drafted 36th overall, I don't think it's surprising people have high hopes for him.

We don't know where any of these players will be in 5 years, so nobody should act like things are obvious when we are all guessing.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I was convinced by some people in the Meuller thread that a 2nd rounder is useless, so I can't vote for or expect anything from Boqvist :sarcasm:

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Boqvist was just drafted 36th overall, I don't think it's surprising people have high hopes for him.

We don't know where any of these players will be in 5 years, so nobody should act like things are obvious when we are all guessing.

I think that last line sums it up. Lots of us see what we want to see, or what we think we saw anyway.

For what it's worth Boqvist looked pretty decent last week. Could be ultimately he's proven to be all sizzle and no steak but until he gets his big shot down the road there's just no way of knowing. He's definitely skilled and shifty though, potentially an elusive playmaker.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Boqvist was a first round talent in my eyes, so he definitely deserves to be in the conversation here.

I'm a little surprised Speers is winning this one, I think he's a good prospect but he's definitely behind Anderson, Rykov & Boqvist for me.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Joey Anderson by a country mile

Honest question with no intentions other than hearing your opinion...

Did you see Anderson much this season? I had limited viewings probably saw only 5 Duluth games last year.

He had points in every game I saw him in and I was still a little underwhelmed... I loved the pick on draft on day, and still do...but I do think his almost point per game freshman season is giving people a bit of false impressions.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This is a sobering read in retrospect. Merrill really ended up as a colossal disappointment.

The NHL is a brick wall of reality. Some prospects bust through it, some get flattened.

I'm not looking to derail this thread but wanted to raise the issue of injuries impacting prospect development and even though it's subtle, I think injuries really stunted Merrill's growth as a player along the way.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Real quick add to the off topic Merrill comment. I noticed in one of those goal scoring 'countdown' shows the other day they included an Ovi goal where he completely undresses Merrill

https://youtu.be/YzZAOrpzlas

I don't think it made the countdown but I recall there was a similar one where he burns Moore badly too with a goal like that.

https://youtu.be/ak_OXtnAPLk

At any rate, two really sweet goals. Sucks we're on the wrong side of the highlight reel but yeah...at least it was Ovechkin, the guy is good.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Anderson played on the top line at the WJCs and didn't look out of place. He's not going to be a star but he has future NHL 3rd/4th liner potential for sure. I won't vote him or Speers that high because I don't think either guy's upside is particularly high but they have relatively high floors - I think both guys will have NHL careers of some sort.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Anderson played on the top line at the WJCs and didn't look out of place. He's not going to be a star but he has future NHL 3rd/4th liner potential for sure. I won't vote him or Speers that high because I don't think either guy's upside is particularly high but they have relatively high floors - I think both guys will have NHL careers of some sort.

Both can be glue guys which are needed.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Anderson will have a chance to impress this season with continued growth at UMD and in a leadership role for WJC. If he does that and adds a new wrinkle or two to his offensive arsenal (I'd like to see an improved shot but anything will be helpful to him) his future floor/ceiling will be clearer. Right now you can say he didn't disappoint last season and I think a number of us are optimistic that he takes a bigger jump his season.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Exactly my reasoning. Boqvist has fantastic potential, but he's proven next to nothing at this stage.

Really just leaves Rykov, for me.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Because he has been a consistently strong performer in tourneys and I believe that will carry over to men's league once he starts getting consistent ice time.

He was flat out dominant at times in the WJC this year. Easily the Devs best performer in the tourney. If you disagree, go back and read articles from December and January from virtually any source or watch the tape. He is a legitimate 2-way defenseman, with crisp passing and great vision.

I don't disagree at all, and hey I can definitely see the argument for him going now or even earlier. My counter is that while he's impressed in those tournaments they're just that, short tournaments. Especially for a prospect most of us rarely get to see outside of those games, if he impresses in them it can leave a very good impression - sometimes over-rating them to a degree.

I don't think that's the case with Rykov, I'm with you and thinking he's a very good prospect with great potential. My only thing what you originally said was that it was Rykov by a landslide. I think there are a few others that can have a good case made for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad