Prospect Info: 2017 HF Devils Top 20 Prospect Rankings: #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
[table="head;width=3000]Rank|Player|POS|Draft Position|2016-17 Team(s)|Vote %|2016 Result|2015 Result
#1|Nico Hischier|C|2017 #1|Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)|---|Pavel Zacha|Pavel Zacha
#2|Michael McLeod|C|2016 #13|Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)|82.02%|Michael McLeod|Steven Santini
#3|Steve Santini|D|2013 #38|Albany Devils (AHL)/New Jersey Devils (NHL)|71.26%|Steven Santini|John Quenneville
#4|John Quenneville|LW/RW|2015 #30|Albany Devils (AHL)/New Jersey Devils (NHL)|68.18%|John Quenneville|Reid Boucher

[/table]

Please remember to vote for who you want to add to the poll next. Most votes gets included in the next poll

[table="head;width=150]Eligible Prospects
Michael Kapla
Yaroslav Dyblenko
Ken Appleby
Colby Sissons
Fabian Zetterlund
Gilles Senn
Marian Studenic
Aarne Talvitie
Jocktain Chainey
Yegor Zaitsev
Matthew Hellickson
Brandon Gignac
Mikhail Maltsev
Evan Cormier
Jesper Bratt
Jeremy Davies
Colton White
Brett Seney
Josh Jacobs
J.D. Dudek
Brandon Baddock
Ryan Kujawinski
[/table]

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It's Blackwood, for me personally. Adding Colby Sissons as well.

Still think what he did as a 19/20 year old in the AHL is far more impressive than Speers or Wood, which would be my two other competitors.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Speers had some nice seasons as an overager and will surely be an NHL player, but I question what his ceiling is at this level.

I think you could make a case for Joey Anderson here, who had a tremendous freshman year and outproduced a lot of big name 1st rounders.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Between Blackwood and Boqvist for me. I like Speers but just don't think his potential is as high as the other two. Rykov is another one to consider. I value defensemen higher than forwards and if he can reach his potential (and he comes over from Russia) then he could be a hell of a player for us.

I think I'm gonna stick to my guns and go with Boqvist. He just has such high potential, and while there are warranted red flags I'm not overly concerned with them.

Add Gignac

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
[table="head;width=3000]Rank|Player|POS|Draft Position|2016-17 Team(s)|Vote %|2016 Result|2015 Result
#1|Nico Hischier|C|2017 #1|Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)|---|Pavel Zacha|Pavel Zacha
#2|Michael McLeod|C|2016 #13|Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)|82.02%|Michael McLeod|Steven Santini
#3|Steve Santini|D|2013 #38|Albany Devils (AHL)/New Jersey Devils (NHL)|71.26%|Steven Santini|John Quenneville
#4|Joel Quenneville|LW/RW|2015 #30|Albany Devils (AHL)/New Jersey Devils (NHL)|68.18%|John Quenneville|Reid Boucher

Do we really consider Joel Quenneville a prospect? I mean, the dude is 58 years old and has already played 803 NHL games. I honestly didn't even know he was Devils property :laugh:

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I think we're lucky to have Miles and I think his unique skill set can benefit the team. I still wouldn't have him in the top5, probably not the top10 either

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I tend to vote based on potential ceilings rather than floors in these polls, so I went with Boqvist.

That said, you can make really convincing arguments for Speers, Anderson, Walsh, Rykov and Blackwood here too. Our prospect pool is deep, there's going to be some really good players who don't even crack the top 10.

I was extremely tempted to go with Rykov, I think he gets my vote next round.

Add Gignac.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Wood is a speedy 4th liner that might top out as a 3rd liner, and hecould still fall out of the league completely.

No way he should be picked now.

Some of the remaining might not ever see the light of day in the NHL

Tangible success is always worth more than potential.

But Wood is both, proven success, the kid just scored goals at a rate better than the majority of our forwards in his first taste of pro hockey and has displayed a combination of attributes no other prospect we have possess. To quote Castron "The sky is the limit for Wood"

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Wood has shown zero hockey sense. He is just really fast and energetic.

He has a low ceiling and could wash out of the league in a year if he doesn't improve.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
Some of the remaining might not ever see the light of day in the NHL

Tangible success is always worth more than potential.

But Wood is both, proven success, the kid just scored goals at a rate better than the majority of our forwards in his first taste of pro hockey and has displayed a combination of attributes no other prospect we have possess. To quote Castron "The sky is the limit for Wood"

Tangible as in NHL success or success in general at the junior or AHL level. By NHL success only then you should have Miles over Mcloed as well. I think there are multiple ways you can view this which is why I've always enjoyed these polls.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Really close between Boqvist and Speers for me, but I went Boqvist.

Add Gignac.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
This is a really tough call here, lots of different guys you could advocate for. And especially when you start talking about whether ceiling or floor is more important, you could really go a lot of ways.

(edit: add Zetterlund :D)

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Considering Rykov is our 3rd best prospect, I'm voting him again.

How in the hell are people voting Blackwood, Boqvist, and Wood above him?

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Joey Anderson should be the winner here. He just had an outstanding freshman season, and an overall better year than really anyone that isn't in the top-4 of the ranking.

This kid is going to turn a lot of heads.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
How is Rykov definitively our 3rd best prospect?

Like I've mentioned in previous threads, I can see arguments for Santini and JQ. That's it. I would put Rykov at 3, but see anywhere from 3 to 5 as acceptable.

Outside the top 5 is nuts. It makes no sense to me.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Like I've mentioned in previous threads, I can see arguments for Santini and JQ. That's it. I would put Rykov at 3, but see anywhere from 3 to 5 as acceptable.

Outside the top 5 is nuts. It makes no sense to me.

Good argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad