Value of: 2017 First round pick if Canucks win first overall

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
If someone throws way too much at the 1OA this year, you take it. But nobody will, so just take Nolan Patrick and be happy you got one of the few obvious high-end talents in the draft. 1OA is worth a lot more than 3OA this year. Take the pick.

Oh, and if you're Benning, you're definitely taking the safe pick at 1OA.

lindroshomer

Jan 21, 2016
Ontario
It keeps getting said it's a weak draft class...5 out of the top 10 picks from last year aren't having an NHL impact this season so pump the brakes a little bit. There is no McDavid, Eichel, Matthews out and out #1 franchise center, but that's not the norm for any draft class...

2015 top end of the draft class is crushing it except for that schmoe Strome and Boston's 3 picks in a row...But we'd have to wait until 2019 to say this draft class won't do the same.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Look at Toronto, thats what Vancouver should do. Stack up on draft picks, trade your vets(Sedins will probably not be traded unless they really wanna have a chance at the cup at the deadline next season).
Suck for a couple years and pick top 10 multiple times going forward. In 5 years you could easily have the best prospect pool in the NHL if you play your cards right. You already have some good young players on the team and in your prospect pool.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If someone throws way too much at the 1OA this year, you take it. But nobody will, so just take Nolan Patrick and be happy you got one of the few obvious high-end talents in the draft. 1OA is worth a lot more than 3OA this year. Take the pick.

Oh, and if you're Benning, you're definitely taking the safe pick at 1OA.

This draft might be lacking in depth outside the top 5, but they should still have a decent player. Canucks are in need of help across the team, so unless they get an exceptional offer for the pick they proceed to draft Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi or Mittelstadt.

CS95

Oct 11, 2016
Even if the first overall pick isnt considered to be as strong as a prospect as a McDavid, Matthews, Laine or Eichel its still a much better prospect than anything the Canucks have. They would be foolish to trade it away

Love

Feb 29, 2012
I'd take Patrick better then whatever they'll get trading it. He'll still be a solid player even if he doesn't turn into a 1st line center

The centre who was 30th in the league in scoring this season put up 55pts. I think Patrick and Hischier both realistically project to be at least 55pt players in the NHL.

I'm sure the Blues would trade both of their 1sts (currently #22 and #31 prior to playoff adjustments) and a prospect not named Husso/Walman/Dunn/Thompson to have the opportunity to choose between Patrick and Hischier. A (still) young but more developed player in Ty Rattie might be of interest to VAN as well given his history with Baertschi. Personally, if the two firsts and Kyrou got it done I would take that deal and not even blink. Probably about the only way STL is going to solve their long-standing 1C issue.

You could add Robby Fabbri to that proposal and it would still be rejected by whatever team obtains 1st overall.

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
Say Vancouver lands the 1st pick this year, would Vegas entertain the idea of trading their pick next year for it? 3oa draft odds that could fall to 6th or up to 1st. But first year in the league drafting 1st and 3rd might catch some headlines.

Also if your Vancouver and you land the 1st this year and take one of the top 2 forwards and manage to finish next year at the bottom of the league and find yourself in the same position(1oa) do you take dahlin or svechnikov?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Say Vancouver lands the 1st pick this year, would Vegas entertain the idea of trading their pick next year for it? 3oa draft odds that could fall to 6th or up to 1st. But first year in the league drafting 1st and 3rd might catch some headlines.

Also if your Vancouver and you land the 1st this year and take one of the top 2 forwards and manage to finish next year at the bottom of the league and find yourself in the same position(1oa) do you take dahlin or svechnikov?

Dahlin.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Trade it for Hanifin

IF they decide Patrick/Hischier isn't what they are looking for stylistically or upside-wise, then this would be a good deal if Carolina bites (I think they would).

I know another poster argued they already passed on talented forwards to grab Juolevi, why do it 2 years in a row, but the Nucks have a long way to go yet before turning the corner.

You'd be getting a Dman with 2 seasons of development, who played in an organization with a strong track record for developing young D. D take longer to develop, and having a left side with two young studs in Hanifin and Juolevi would be a helluva foundation.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

While from a public relations point of view it might have appeal it makes little sense risking their pick in the draft next year which is deeper. I'm sure they would entertain trading up but too risky to trade an unknown lottery pick, they need a Franchise player asap and this draft does not appear to have one.

Second part, you take the best player available.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Maybe RNH?

Saves Edmonton some cap dollars and likely gets them a player of similar skill level (albeit undeveloped). Maybe accelerates Vancouvers rebuild a bit.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Nucks are better off just taking Hischier and letting him play another year of junior. When he's ready the Sedins will be FAs and either be retired or back in Sweden:

?-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi/Goldobin-Hischier-Eriksson
Dahlen-Sutter-Granlund
Boucher-Gaunce-Virtanen
Molina Abols

Hutton-Tanev
Juolevi-Gudbranson
Tryamkin-Stecher

Markstrom
Demko

I think Edler could be packaged along with Baertschi/Goldobin to return a more established LW and thus beef up the top six. Otherwise, all the Canucks need to do is stay the rebuild course and add another blue chip prospect in 2018 to round out whatever their remaining area of weakness is (RD? High-end LW?). No need to complicate things.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Nugent-Hopkins. The guy who's scored at 50 point pace the past 2 season, continually pushed down the lineup now with McJesus and Drai on the team.

Hes a second line C, what Patrick and Hischier are expected to top out at.

Its a poor year to have first overall. Thats the answer.

I would just keep the pick and hope that whoever they pick grossly exceeds expectations.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Hes a second line C, what Patrick and Hischier are expected to top out at.

Its a poor year to have first overall. Thats the answer.

I would just keep the pick and hope that whoever they pick grossly exceeds expectations.

So in truth you had nothing to add. Because the whole idea of acquiring this player is stupid, the Canucks have long term needs to centre ice and dropping the highest draft pick ever (if first overall) or that we've had in 18 years while we still pay 14 to two 50 point players already instead of drafting the 18 year old with potential and 7 full NHL seasons of financial control, is down right disgustingly stupid. Especially for players like RNH or Matt Duchene who us in Vancouver know quite intimately seeing as one has always been in our division while the other spent half his career playing Vancouver 6-8 times a year. So I am quite familiar with each and how they play the game and what they provide. I want neither of them taking up 5-7 million dollars of cap space when for 3 years I might have to suffer a 3.375m cap hit of mostly bonuses that I can easily defer to another year. You know like after next season when my team isn't paying 14 million in 37 year old forwards, 6 million in 37 year old goaltending, or 12 million of the most expensive 4th liners in the world.

Is any of this getting through?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
So in truth you had nothing to add. Because the whole idea of acquiring this player is stupid, the Canucks have long term needs to centre ice and dropping the highest draft pick ever (if first overall) or that we've had in 18 years while we still pay 14 to two 50 point players already instead of drafting the 18 year old with potential and 7 full NHL seasons of financial control, is down right disgustingly stupid. Especially for players like RNH or Matt Duchene who us in Vancouver know quite intimately seeing as one has always been in our division while the other spent half his career playing Vancouver 6-8 times a year. So I am quite familiar with each and how they play the game and what they provide. I want neither of them taking up 5-7 million dollars of cap space when for 3 years I might have to suffer a 3.375m cap hit of mostly bonuses that I can easily defer to another year. You know like after next season when my team isn't paying 14 million in 37 year old forwards, 6 million in 37 year old goaltending, or 12 million of the most expensive 4th liners in the world.

Is any of this getting through?

I dont agree with the premise of the thread but since the OP asked for a trade idea I presented one.

What are your expectations of the player that one single asset could acquire?

Again, its a poor year to have 1st overall based on pre-draft assessments of the talent available. I'd keep the pick and hope those assessments are wrong.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
I dont agree with the premise of the thread but since the OP asked for a trade idea I presented one.

What are your expectations of the player that one single asset could acquire?

Again, its a poor year to have 1st overall based on pre-draft assessments of the talent available. I'd keep the pick and hope those assessments are wrong.

What do I want from a #1 overall pick? Nico Hischier. Lol. From #2? Nico Hischier. So yeah, one single asset is not going to cut it for me unless Laine is for some unbelievably stupid reason he might be available. Otherwise I'd draft the kid, hope that pure offensive skill he has continues to grow.
Taking a lesser asset or an older less controllable asset just seems way to assbackwards for me to agree with when this team has zero forward prospects even close to replacing the offensive potential of Sedin.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Nugent-Hopkins. The guy who's scored at 50 point pace the past 2 season, continually pushed down the lineup now with McJesus and Drai on the team.

Oiler fans really love RNH. He could do with a fresh start on a team like Vegas but from an outsider point of view he is not that desirable. He's be the Leafs 4th best C and that is not counting Nylander.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad