Value of: 2017 First round pick if Canucks win first overall

chatty4756

Apr 6, 2016
If im vancouver and i have first overall, weak draft class or not. Make the pick and hope the player turns out. Adding a 1st overall to boeser, demko, horvat is not a bad thing

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
I'd trade the first but only as low as 3/4(unless its part of a bigger deal that brings back a center like strome/reinhart etc). I'm not sold on Patrick. He frightens me as a 1st overall. He has had a Salo like career in the WHL, it can only get worse in the NHL. Hisch is a solid pick, but he will probably have to play wing in the NHL
If they think Hisch really cant play center, then the canucks can trade the pick, pick up another solid prospect for taking Mittelstadt or Necas who have top 6 center potential. IMO theres some sucker who will overpay for the 1st.
Basically I see a solid prospect and top 6 center> hisch for the canucks right now. fills 2 needs.

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I will never understand trade threads that are posted which require something else to happen before they become relevant.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
If I'm Vancouver and I get the #1 pick I keep it. Yeah this is a weak draft class but still a guy you can get at #1 can really accelerate your rebuild, I make the pick if I'm Vancouver.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What other teams would even want the pick? Not contenders or ones exiting a rebuild. So you would need to look at the best package that another rebuilding team would consider - and none of those teams would offer a good young piece that you could potentially build around. The only place you might get one of those is in the draft. Just make the pick.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I'd take Patrick better then whatever they'll get trading it. He'll still be a solid player even if he doesn't turn into a 1st line center

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'm sure the Blues would trade both of their 1sts (currently #22 and #31 prior to playoff adjustments) and a prospect not named Husso/Walman/Dunn/Thompson to have the opportunity to choose between Patrick and Hischier. A (still) young but more developed player in Ty Rattie might be of interest to VAN as well given his history with Baertschi. Personally, if the two firsts and Kyrou got it done I would take that deal and not even blink. Probably about the only way STL is going to solve their long-standing 1C issue.

tylerjohnson2626

Jun 6, 2016
Victoria, BC
I'm sure the Blues would trade both of their 1sts (currently #22 and #31 prior to playoff adjustments) and a prospect not named Husso/Walman/Dunn/Thompson to have the opportunity to choose between Patrick and Hischier. A (still) young but more developed player in Ty Rattie might be of interest to VAN as well given his history with Baertschi. Personally, if the two firsts and Kyrou got it done I would take that deal and not even blink. Probably about the only way STL is going to solve their long-standing 1C issue.

Yes, I'm sure STL would too.

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan

Yeah, don't think that's even close.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
It would be dumb to trade the pick, unless you get a king's ransom of young players back to flesh out the rebuild. However, the Canucks don't need quantity; they need quality. They've got enough Gaudettes, Stetchers, Tryamkins, Dahlens, Goldobins, etc. What they need is more Horvats, Boesers, Demkos and Juolevis: impact prospects with top line/top-pairing potential. Hell, they need better players than that, if they want to compete with the Edmontons and Calgarys of the world. If you can draft a big, gritty center with first line potential, there's no sense in trading him for lesser prospects.

Keep the pick.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Could be the worst proposal Ive ever seen on here. What a joke for the Canucks :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad