2017 Draft & UDFA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
The guy who thinks Liljegren might fall a bit currently has us taking Brännström: https://recrutes.ca/

Also, does anyone else worry about taking droppers in the first round? I remember everyone being high on Carlson going into 08 until Del Zotto fell into our laps. In hindsight, Carlson would have been a huge get for our right side.

Last edited:

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
NHL Network is airing Swift Current/Regina game tonight. Some draft eligibles getting some airtime tonight.

Pats
Jake Leschyshyn F
Nick Henry F
Johnathan Smart D
Jordan Hollett G

Broncos
Artem Minulin D
Aleksi Heponiemi F

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The guy who thinks Liljegren might fall a bit currently has us taking Brännström: https://recrutes.ca/

Also, does anyone else worry about taking droppers in the first round? I remember everyone being high on Carlson going into 08 until Del Zotto fell into our laps. In hindsight, Carlson would have been a huge get for our right side.

I remember screaming at the TV when we passed on Carlson that year.

It boils down to why the player is dropping. Liljegren is having a down season and scouts always sour on players when they seem to plateau in their draft year. I would still take him if given the opportunity. IMO, he's been set up to fail between the battle with mono and the over the top comparisons with guys like Doughty and Karlsson entering the year.

He'll be an NHLer, IMO. The real question is can he be a top-pairing guy a la McDonagh, or will he end up as unrealized potential?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've barely dropped Liljegren. I think I dropped him one spot from earlier in the season. Don't pick players based on how well or poorly they played in any particular season. Pick the players you think will be the best NHL players. This is what I said last week about Liljegren. My opinion of his play this season.

I think Liljegren's problems are a few things. One of them is that he plays a risky type of game to begin with. I look at potential comparables as like an OEL, Subban, Carlson, Faulk if he hits his ceiling, so we aren't talking about a very safe player to begin with. I don't think safe stay at home is really in his vocabulary. That type of game can look like a train-wreck when its off. He's definitely off this season in how he plays. When you play that type of game though, being off is going to cause a lot of mistakes. He's not on his game so he's unable to execute the way he wants with his skating, puck handling, passing, shooting, and then he's compounding it with mental mistakes, bad decisions with the puck, bad positioning, bad puck pursuit. When you are struggling, you press, you feel the need to cheat a little more with your pinches, to pursue a puck you shouldn't, to force passes you shouldn't, to try to skate out of trouble instead of throw it up the boards.

I think the kid just needs a clean slate season. Start over, work hard, be able to have a full training camp, and start the season on schedule, not playing catch up. Did anyone mention these decision making and IQ questions a year ago? No, I don't think this is a big part of his game, I think he's just had an off season. Lets also keep in mind he's playing in difficult men's leagues, this isn't junior hockey where even if he's off his game, he can still get away with not playing his best. The whole point of having players like Heiskanen, Liljegren, Dahlin, play in men's leagues is to challenge them against older players who play at a faster pace than junior players and who are better physically. Its a challenge for these kids, lets not think that they can show up not playing well, and get away with it.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Robert Thomas. That's the guy who I want to be a Ranger. But I see his stock rising up more and more as the playoffs progress.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010

depends on the player. chychrun dropped, he looks fantastic.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
ARTYOM ZUB of SKA St Petersburgh is a D I would love to get! :)

Defensemen. 21 y/o. Right handed shot. RD. 6'2, 200 lbs.

SKA acquired him during the season like they did with Buchnevich. In 33 games for SKA he got 0 goals and 2 assists. But he isn't really a stiff with the puck. But lol, this kid can hit and play defense. One game I saw him in he had like 6-7 big defensive hits. SKA throws him on the ice to just kill the forwards on the other team, and he really hammers them. Like a young Kaspar but not as dirty hit. Super focused on defense when he is on the ice. But like I said, he isn't a stiff with the puck and moves fairly well with it, but often just makes simple plays with it.

I haven't seen enough of this kid, but from the little I've seen its hard not to really like the kid a lot. Its on a Its worth to pay for the tickets just to see him play defense-level.

Anyone heard any talk about him? Is he a FA?

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Ola: Elite Prospects lists him as 21 so he is not draft eligible but under contract for 2017-2018.

SKA acquired him during the season like they did with Buchnevich. In 33 games for SKA he got 0 goals and 2 assists. But he isn't really a stiff with the puck. But lol, this kid can hit and play defense. One game I saw him in he had like 6-7 big defensive hits. SKA throws him on the ice to just kill the forwards on the other team, and he really hammers them. Like a young Kaspar but not as dirty hit. Super focused on defense when he is on the ice. But like I said, he isn't a stiff with the puck and moves fairly well with it, but often just makes simple plays with it.

I haven't seen enough of this kid, but from the little I've seen its hard not to really like the kid a lot. Its on a Its worth to pay for the tickets just to see him play defense-level.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I'm a step ahead of you Ola. :)

If we are looking at KHL defenseman, I'd prefer Artyom Zub who I think is going to have a big breakout season next season, so we better get ahead of the curve. SKA bought him from a small team in Eastern Russia. He started with a small role, but has been really good later on in the season when a lot of SKA's defense has been injured.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Accidently posted this in the Rumors thread, I'll add it here too:

I have been watching Alexei Bereglazov for a while. He is the Russian kid we supposedly are front runners to sign.

Some thoughts. The kid is big, a solid 6'4. Would probably have guessed at 6'5. Left hand shot. Always with a big kid in today's game, you get a little worried about agility and skating. But Bereglazov moves pretty well, a bit better than expected even. He gets going when he has to, good edge work. Isn't "laggy" when like moving back and forth covering a small area during like a PK.

I would definitely claim that Bereglazov is better than Andreas Borgman, who is the Swedish LD we are rumored to be interested. What really stands out in Bereglazov's game is his presence on the ice. As a result of his reach, skating and positioning -- he just takes away a very large chunk of the ice very effectively. He creates that effect where forwards bearing down on him very often just puts on the breaks and gives up immediately because there just seem don't seem to be enough ice to go around him.

Borgman is in a sense much more "fun" to watch. If I had Revels video skills I could post 2-3 awesome clips of AB after every game if you get what I mean. Its a big hit almost killing someone. Stickhandling eights around a forechecker. Unloading bombs from the blueline. But the development has gone fast for Borgman, all of a sudden he is skating up ice after a long shift ending up throwing a hard pass across the ice 15 feets behind his D partner. Borgman is built like a bull but he is only 6'0, doesn't have the same reach defensively. And so forth. Borgman has potential, but wouldn't be ready next season. Needs more time. Bereglazov's defensive presence is very good. He is a tough D to play against for any forward.

Bereglazov is a stay at home D in a sense. He plays with a very good offensive D, 36 y/o 5'11 Canadian D Chris Lee, to his right. But even if he in a sense in a very broad picture might be a bit similar to say a Brandon Coburn -- he just gets involved offensively in a completely different fashion than what a older stay at home D did. He gets open and wants to get the puck in his own end. Good at making those small passes to get out of trouble.

Definitely think Bereglazov could play next season already. Could replace Staal.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Pretty sure Skjei was more or less universally regarded as a 20-30th pick.

That kind of makes sense too, I just remember before our pick was announced he was the highest ranked left on the board and there was a decentish gap between him and the next guy

Edit: never mind, I was way off. Brady was ranked 22, and the 21st and 23rd ranked prospects were also still available while the Rangers were picking. Also in the video was dreger talking about the Rangers missing out on trading for Jordan staal and turning their focus to getting Nash with maybe some interest in Bobby Ryan

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Ola: Elite Prospects lists him as 21 so he is not draft eligible but under contract for 2017-2018.

Hm, I think you can draft Euros even if they are older than 20, can anyone confirm this?

I didn't think about drafting him as a possibility, though more about going after him as a UFA. But if we can lock him up for a late pick -- I would be all for it. Think it's a no brainer. Russian Chris Tanev...

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Hm, I think you can draft Euros even if they are older than 20, can anyone confirm this?

I didn't think about drafting him as a possibility, though more about going after him as a UFA. But if we can lock him up for a late pick -- I would be all for it. Think it's a no brainer. Russian Chris Tanev...

I think Zub can be taken in this draft. Not sure of the actual written rules, but the Islanders drafted Anatoli Golyshev last year and he was a 21 year old KHLer.

Last edited:

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

I'm not that worried. There have been solid picks that fell at the draft and became good NHLers. Skjei dropped, so did Chychrun.

If Klim Kostin drops, he might be a solid addition. Injury riddled season, could be a stronger version of Saarela. Not with a 1st round pick, however.

Last edited:

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Pretty sure Skjei was more or less universally regarded as a 20-30th pick.

I think that is pretty accurate. ISS had him 26th in their final ranking. He was ranked 12th among defenseman from that service as well. I believe Redline has him about #21 overall in their Final.

ISS Final Rankings D-men 2012 Entry Draft
#3 Ryan Murray
#5 Jacob Trouba
#6 Griffin Reinhart
#7 Morgan Reilly
#8 Matt Dumba
#10 Cody Ceci
#12 Olli Matta
#18 Matt Finn
#19 Hampus Lindholm
#21 Slater Koekkoek
#22 Derick Poiliot
#26 Brady Skjei

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Ola and Joey B:

After reviewing the CBA I think Zub cannot be drafted although for a different reason than I originally thought.

You are both correct that a European player can be drafted at age 21 and only becomes a free agent at age 22.

Section 8.4. (v) a Player age 22 or older who has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d).

However, section 8.10 defines age of a player:

8.10 Age of Players. As used in this Article, "age 18" means a Player reaching his eighteenth birthday between January 1 next preceding the Entry Draft and September 15 next following the Entry Draft, both dates included; "age 19" means a Player reaching his nineteenth birthday by no later than September 15 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; "age 20" means a Player reaching his twentieth birthday by no later than December 31 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; "age 21" means a Player reaching his twenty-first birthday by December 31 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; and "age 22" means a Player reaching his twenty-second birthday by December 31 in the calendar year of the Entry Draft.

So a player who turns 22 by December 31 in the calendar year of the entry draft would be considered 22 and under section 8.4 is a free agent.

Zub currently is 21 but according to Elite Prospects he turns 22 on October 3. So while I was wrong and he could have been drafted while he was 21 he would not be eligible for the draft this year because he is considered 22 for purposes of the draft and therefore, a free agent.

Elite Prospects has him as having signed a contract for 2017-2018. So unless this information is not correct or he has an out clause he would not be eligible to be signed now as a free agent.

If anyone has a different reading of the CBA please let me know.

I think Zub can be taken in this draft. Not sure of the actual written rules, but the Islanders drafted Anatoli Golyshev last year and he was a 21 year old KHLer.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Ola: One question about Bereglazov. I thought I read somewhere in this thread that although he is a left handed shot he played right defense. Your write up says he plays on the left side. Do you know if he can play on the right side? If you feel he is ready for the NHL next year, we really need someone to play on the right side and we're gonna have a log jam with left defensemen.
Accidently posted this in the Rumors thread, I'll add it here too:

I have been watching Alexei Bereglazov for a while. He is the Russian kid we supposedly are front runners to sign.

Some thoughts. The kid is big, a solid 6'4. Would probably have guessed at 6'5. Left hand shot. Always with a big kid in today's game, you get a little worried about agility and skating. But Bereglazov moves pretty well, a bit better than expected even. He gets going when he has to, good edge work. Isn't "laggy" when like moving back and forth covering a small area during like a PK.

I would definitely claim that Bereglazov is better than Andreas Borgman, who is the Swedish LD we are rumored to be interested. What really stands out in Bereglazov's game is his presence on the ice. As a result of his reach, skating and positioning -- he just takes away a very large chunk of the ice very effectively. He creates that effect where forwards bearing down on him very often just puts on the breaks and gives up immediately because there just seem don't seem to be enough ice to go around him.

Borgman is in a sense much more "fun" to watch. If I had Revels video skills I could post 2-3 awesome clips of AB after every game if you get what I mean. Its a big hit almost killing someone. Stickhandling eights around a forechecker. Unloading bombs from the blueline. But the development has gone fast for Borgman, all of a sudden he is skating up ice after a long shift ending up throwing a hard pass across the ice 15 feets behind his D partner. Borgman is built like a bull but he is only 6'0, doesn't have the same reach defensively. And so forth. Borgman has potential, but wouldn't be ready next season. Needs more time. Bereglazov's defensive presence is very good. He is a tough D to play against for any forward.

Bereglazov is a stay at home D in a sense. He plays with a very good offensive D, 36 y/o 5'11 Canadian D Chris Lee, to his right. But even if he in a sense in a very broad picture might be a bit similar to say a Brandon Coburn -- he just gets involved offensively in a completely different fashion than what a older stay at home D did. He gets open and wants to get the puck in his own end. Good at making those small passes to get out of trouble.

Definitely think Bereglazov could play next season already. Could replace Staal.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Go Gorton Go

Colorado Avalanche prospect Will Butcher, the 2017 Hobey Baker winner as the national player of the year isn't currently thinking of his contract situation with the Avalanche.

"I told him I didn’t want an offer yet," Butcher told The Denver Post. "I wanted to sit with him, talk with him about my year, what they’re thinking, what their philosophy is going to be. My parents are coming in this weekend for the banquet, and I want to talk to my parents before they offer me anything." The Avalanche are hoping to get the deal done sooner rather than later seeing as Butcher is eligible to become an unrestricted free-agent on August 15. He and his University of Denver teammates are still celebrating last Saturday's NCAA tournament victory over Minnesota Duluth. Apr 11 - 8:56 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad