2017 Draft & UDFA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Also, I really don't get the massive appeal for Ryan Poehling. There are a load of inconsistencies to his game that, IMO, should hinder a bit of his draft stock. He has the size and is true freshman of the NCAA, but he hasn't really showed much of a 1st round talent. Speed is average at best as I haven't seen an extra gear on him this season. Is a net front presence, but is not overly physical for a big guy. Does not get into the corners and dig for the puck. Has a good eye and shot, but only in one-on-one situations. Tries to play an all around game, but has a lot of lapses where he does not play and stands around.

Poehling is far from safe. Do you all remember Kyle Beach? :dunno:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The more I see highlights of Sean Dhooghe, the more upset I'll be if he goes undrafted. For an extremely tiny guy (5'3"), he is consistently keeping up with the competition and has blazing speed. If he's there in the later portion of the draft, I'd for sure take a flier on him.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=268435

We already drafted 1 Sean with Belgian roots. Might as well get another haha

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
U18s prelims already started. Those weigh heavily on rankings/opinions. Brannstrom was just voted as a finalist for multiple J20 Superelit awards and he'll be in Slovakia with Liljegren and the two 2018 studs Boqvist and Dahlin.

Team USA is in Group Death -- Russia, Czechs and Swedes. Canada is with Finland but they are loaded. The Canadians have arguably their worst U18 WC roster in years.

France beat the Germans today at the D1A tourney, and Denmark beat Hungary. Alexandre Texier (France) and Jonas Ronbjerg (Denmark) may both go as high as the 2nd round.

Dahlin and Brännström will only be released if their teams are eliminated in the SHL playoffs. Boqvist is right now one of 10 D's on the roster, he hasn't played with the U18 team before so he could very well be one of the cuts.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The more I see highlights of Sean Dhooghe, the more upset I'll be if he goes undrafted. For an extremely tiny guy (5'3"), he is consistently keeping up with the competition and has blazing speed. If he's there in the later portion of the draft, I'd for sure take a flier on him.

Kid would need to bulk up big time. He may not be done growing so 5'5 or so may not be out of the question but he's at 139lbs.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Also, I really don't get the massive appeal for Ryan Poehling. There are a load of inconsistencies to his game that, IMO, should hinder a bit of his draft stock. He has the size and is true freshman of the NCAA, but he hasn't really showed much of a 1st round talent. Speed is average at best as I haven't seen an extra gear on him this season. Is a net front presence, but is not overly physical for a big guy. Does not get into the corners and dig for the puck. Has a good eye and shot, but only in one-on-one situations. Tries to play an all around game, but has a lot of lapses where he does not play and stands around.

Poehling is far from safe. Do you all remember Kyle Beach? :dunno:

He was the best player at the Hlinka and was the youngest player in the NCAA.

Any ding on him is fixable. Has great hands, dangles, a wicked shot and makes plays. Tough to do that with 3rd or 4th line minutes on a good team.

Late first is about right for him -- a big 1999-born center with skill and decent speed.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
He was the best player at the Hlinka and was the youngest player in the NCAA.

Any ding on him is fixable. Has great hands, dangles, a wicked shot and makes plays. Tough to do that with 3rd or 4th line minutes on a good team.

Late first is about right for him -- a big 1999-born center with skill and decent speed.

Will have to disagree with you on this one, Steve. I could be wrong, but every time I watched St. Cloud play, he underwhelmed me. Lots of lackadaisical movement on his part. Even being on an okay St. Cloud team, he was minus-8 on the year even with PP time. Could be first year jitters, but would need to see those "fixable" traits be polished with two coats of primer next season.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Kid would need to bulk up big time. He may not be done growing so 5'5 or so may not be out of the question but he's at 139lbs.

No doubt. Will also be a true freshman in Wisconsin with that size so he's bound to gain strength. If he bulks up to about the 150-160lbs range next season while also growing a couple inches, he could be a real threat out there.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

To some extent I wonder if it might even be better to be 5'3 and 130 instead of 5'6 and 155 or whatever. In some areas of the game, he will be held back tremendously by his size -- and that won't change if he is 5'6 instead of 5'3. Don't think injuries are a concern, its very hard to hit a smaller player. In the offensive zone, this kid can be dangerous.

The big problem these guys have is that they -- while being extremely quick -- just don't get up to any kind of solid top speed if you get what I mean. Like a Nathan Gerbe. Going the length of the ice, he is just slow.

But I am not against throwing 7th rounders after players like this. There have always and there will always be exceptions to every rule in this game. And like I said, when you are "small" enough, its certainly makes the player more unique in a sense.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA

This guy used to be an NHL scout. If Liljegren doesn't have a great U18 tournament, and he falls in the draft, if he's available when the Rangers pick, Gorton has to take him right? right?

Would be insane not too

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

This guy used to be an NHL scout. If Liljegren doesn't have a great U18 tournament, and he falls in the draft, if he's available when the Rangers pick, Gorton has to take him right? right?

Would be insane not too

I remember the drop by Kylington and everyone agreed it was a steal when Calgary picked him that late. If Liljegren drops to the 2nd half of the 1st round and we have a chance, grab him. Unless someone obviously better is available (BPA)

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
So we're currently sitting at pick 23. We could move up as far as 19 if four teams with less points than us reach the conference finals.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

He's 5'3? :amazed: That's shorter than Nathan Gerbe, who I believe is 5'5. Would he be the shortest player in history?

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Dhooghe is so much fun to watch, very similar to Zuccarello in that he's always in the middle of the scrums, plays really hard and with an edge.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Andreas Borgmans team (he plays on the same team as everybodys latest shiny toy Erik Brännström) HV71 are in the SHL finals winning the semis 4-0. He picked up 3 points in 4 games in the semis. And played well. Do not expect a signing here until his season is over. If we get him. There are several suitors.
Alexei Berezgalov (Metallurg Magnitogorsk) is playing against SKA Saint Petersburg in the finals of the Gagarin Cup in the KHL. Tied at 1-1 right now. He will not sign before this season is over, though I heard today he is leaning twds NYR.

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
Andreas Borgmans team (he plays on the same team as everybodys latest shiny toy Erik Brännström) HV71 are in the SHL finals winning the semis 4-0. He picked up 3 points in 4 games in the semis. And played well. Do not expect a signing here until his season is over. If we get him. There are several suitors.
Alexei Berezgalov (Metallurg Magnitogorsk) is playing against SKA Saint Petersburg in the finals of the Gagarin Cup in the KHL. Tied at 1-1 right now. He will not sign before this season is over, though I heard today he is leaning twds NYR.

Are you hearing any other names? Read the Rangers are interested in Radim Simek from Czech league. Did you hear his name in connection with Rangers?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Much appreciated BBkers. If you have any other info, please do share!! :)

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Not sure i think Dhooghe is worth a pick, but i hope a team picks him, he seems to work so hard and wants it so bad.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Not sure i think Dhooghe is worth a pick, but i hope a team picks him, he seems to work so hard and wants it so bad.

It's the drive that he has that'll make him become an NHL regular. St. Louis was a tiny guy and worked his ass off every day. I see the same with Dhooghe.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Yeah, he definitely has drive and work ethic. He's tough as nails aswell and he's got very good offensive instincts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad