2017 Draft & UDFA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
NCAA Defensemen

If we are vgoing after any colle D-man, I prefer Blomquist

There are a couple of NCAA defensemen who would become free agents on Aug 15 and to my knowledge have not yet signed although they may have signed minor league deals of which I am unaware. In addition to the two mentioned, there is 2012 Minnesota 3rd rounder Johm Dreger of Michigan State, 2010 Florida 4th rounder Ben Gallagher of U Mass, 2012 Anaheim 5th rounder Brian Cooper of Nebraska Omaha and 2013 Calgary 7th rounder John Gilmour of Providence. Don't know much about these guys although HF writeup of Dreger seemed pretty positive and indicated there was a numbers issue with Minnesota. Would be interested to know if anyone knows anything about these guys.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
DiPauli is an interesting prospect. He reminds me a lot of the type of guys Detroit was so very good at drafting and developing --- solid, sometimes undersized, bottom six forwards who do their job without a lot of flash but represent the heart of the team.

If he continues to progress, that's what I would expect from DiPauli moving forward.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
DiPauli is an interesting prospect. He reminds me a lot of the type of guys Detroit was so very good at drafting and developing --- solid, sometimes undersized, bottom six forwards who do their job without a lot of flash but represent the heart of the team.

If he continues to progress, that's what I would expect from DiPauli moving forward.

Yeah, agreed, he's got that, for the lack of better term, sparkplug effect. Not great at any one thing but processes and reacts on a dime. Shooting, passing, turnovers, good short game.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
As per Matthew Coller of ESPN, Jimmy Vesey submitted his short list of teams; Buffalo, Toronto, Boston, Chicago and the Rangers.

This'll get interesting.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
As per Matthew Coller of ESPN, Jimmy Vesey submitted his short list of teams; Buffalo, Toronto, Boston, Chicago and the Rangers.

This'll get interesting.

By no means would I oppose adding Vesey to the roster, but I don't think he's the difference maker that some folks are propping him up to be. I think if he pans out he's the 4th or 5th best winger on a really good team. Good piece to have, but I don't see him at the level of a guy like Kevin Hayes when we signed him.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
By no means would I oppose adding Vesey to the roster, but I don't think he's the difference maker that some folks are propping him up to be. I think if he pans out he's the 4th or 5th best winger on a really good team. Good piece to have, but I don't see him at the level of a guy like Kevin Hayes when we signed him.

I agree with this sentiment, I think Hayes is probably a better player, and was a bigger get.

But with that said, it would be massive for the Rangers to land Vesey. Team needs all the youth they can get at this point.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I'm not sure anyone thinks Vesey puts us over or is some elite talent that can replace Nash. But he is just 23 with very good size and skill and top 6 potential. Outside of Buch, this team doesn't really have any scoring wingers that could push for a top 9 role this training camp that are that young. Tambo, Gropp might have similar potential but still need a few years of development. Jenses probably might be a 3rd liner but he's had a few chances to still with an NHL team and hasn't. It would be a solid prospect add to the thin forward prospect pool.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I agree with this sentiment, I think Hayes is probably a better player, and was a bigger get.

But with that said, it would be massive for the Rangers to land Vesey. Team needs all the youth they can get at this point.

He would be a nice add. I wouldn't go as far as to say a massive one though.

I'm not sure anyone thinks Vesey puts us over or is some elite talent that can replace Nash. But he is just 23 with very good size and skill and top 6 potential. Outside of Buch, this team doesn't really have any scoring wingers that could push for a top 9 role this training camp that are that young. Tambo, Gropp might have similar potential but still need a few years of development. Jenses probably might be a 3rd liner but he's had a few chances to still with an NHL team and hasn't. It would be a solid prospect add to the thin forward prospect pool.

Like I said, I didn't mean to imply I wouldn't want him, but I do see some people indicating that he's a key add who will make the team better. I don't necessarily agree with the latter, at least in the short term. I question whether or not he'll actually beat out a guy like Grabner or Fast for a top-9 spot given that the coaching staff tends to lean on players they feel are more "complete". When Lindberg returns, I consider him to be ahead of Grabner and Fast, so that makes Vesey's chance of winning a top-9 spot even less likely.

I think he can get there, and I think he will, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of player who is going to have an easy transition to the NHL. Just my take. I don't have a ton of faith in the ECAC's ability to churn out really good players.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
vesey is a nice replacement for 1 of the 600 picks we traded away, nothing else.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

This'll get interesting.

Would like a source. I know Rotter/SNY has been keeping tabs on what teams Vesey wants, but hasn't noted a "short list" yet.

Granted, all 5 teams you mentioned have been repeatedly named, so I guess assuming here is safe.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I saw that article yesterday. Coller thinks Vesey is going to Chicago.

New York Rangers

Selling point: Star power

There is just something special about playing in the bright lights of Madison Square Garden. The Rangers are an Original Six team with lots of cachet. They also do not have a true superstar forward. Even though the Blueshirts have terrific forwards like Derek Stepan, Mats Zuccarello and Rick Nash, none of them is a true face of the franchise. Vesey may see an opportunity to become the team's next-biggest star after netminder Henrik Lundqvist.

Drawback: Cup chances

After a first-round exit this past spring, it is hard not to wonder whether the Rangers have missed the Stanley Cup boat. This summer, they traded away arguably their best center from last season in Derick Brassard and lost Keith Yandle in free agency. Plus, Lundqvist may be an elite goalie for only so much longer. They will be competitive, but the Rangers' chances are slimmer than the chances of some other Vesey contenders.

Chicago Blackhawks

Selling point: Stanley Cup(s)

The Blackhawks were eliminated in the first round this past season, but their window has not closed. Patrick Kane won the Hart Trophy as the league's most valuable player, and Artemi Panarin took home the Calder Trophy as the top rookie. Even with some questions on the blue line, the star power is enough to guarantee a playoff spot in Chicago and put the Blackhawks on a short list of Cup favorites. Also, there is an open wing spot next to Marian Hossa and Jonathan Toews with Andrew Shaw landing in Montreal.

Drawback: Cap troubles

One of the most attractive elements to signing Vesey is that he comes on an entry-level contract, meaning that cap-strapped teams can afford to make room for him. However, teams that have a ton of money tied up in big stars on long-term deals like Kane's and Toews' $10.5 million cap hits end up having trouble paying players down the road. The Blackhawks had to trade Brandon Saad to Columbus for cap reasons in 2015. Saad got paid, yes, but not by Chicago. If Vesey is looking for a long-term team, it would not be with a club that might have to move him in two years.

The pick: Blackhawks

The Blackhawks can basically check off all boxes. They are a Cup contender, they can offer him playing time with Hall of Fame players, and they can give him plenty of spotlight. (Chicago plays 21 times on national TV this season.) The fact that he is allowed to sign only a two-year contract should be incentive to pick a team that can win this season over one that is still growing such as Buffalo or Toronto, in spite of the fact that his long-term home may be elsewhere.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/insider/stor...n-harvard-star-jimmy-vesey-first-contract-nhl

The team has Vesey's rights for 4 years. He signs the 2 year ELC and the team still has him under control for 2 more years. He is 23. 27 is the age of group III.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
He would be a nice add. I wouldn't go as far as to say a massive one though.

Like I said, I didn't mean to imply I wouldn't want him, but I do see some people indicating that he's a key add who will make the team better. I don't necessarily agree with the latter, at least in the short term. I question whether or not he'll actually beat out a guy like Grabner or Fast for a top-9 spot given that the coaching staff tends to lean on players they feel are more "complete". When Lindberg returns, I consider him to be ahead of Grabner and Fast, so that makes Vesey's chance of winning a top-9 spot even less likely.

I think he can get there, and I think he will, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of player who is going to have an easy transition to the NHL. Just my take. I don't have a ton of faith in the ECAC's ability to churn out really good players.
You might see Lindberg ahead of Fast and Grabner but I doubt AV does, we're paying Grabner $1.6m per and Fast got playing time on the first and second lines. Lindberg might take a while before he's himself anyway, I'd be way more concerned about his recovery. I see Lindberg as the 4th line center, so Vesey hasn't much to do with bottom 3 anyway.

Vesey would immediately be one of the top 1-2 forward prospects on this team and closest to NHL ready, personally I'm really concerned with Buch and if he still needs to mature more.

You also never know if one of the current top 9 guys are around come training camp, so there might be an opening still.

At the least he's another close to NHL ready guy who's young, cheap, and has some upside. He's also another american familiar with a couple of the current rangers.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I read that article as well. I didn't think it was anything that Vesey's camp has leaked. I think it was just that guy's opinion.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Day has dual citizenship. He can't play for the U.S. without some formal ties. He was raised in Michigan. He was born in Belgium because his father was based there for work. His parents are Canadian.

Haven't seen anything that states he is American, but it's interesting nonetheless.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I know it's early but do any of our draft guru's on this board know how this upcoming draft projects for PMDs? I'd really like it if the Rangers took 2-3 shots at PMD picks in each of the next several drafts with the hopes of hitting on one or two.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
I know it's early but do any of our draft guru's on this board know how this upcoming draft projects for PMDs? I'd really like it if the Rangers took 2-3 shots at PMD picks in each of the next several drafts with the hopes of hitting on one or two.
While I agree that's a huge originizational need, you've got to take the best player available especially with a thin prospect pool, top 6 forward also a need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad