2017 Draft & UDFA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
That is a good projection for the top-10. I personally expect Stelio Mattheos and Kailer Yamamoto to possibly make the top10

Lol I actually meant to put Yamamoto instead of Oettinger. I'll fix it now.

Mattheos needs to get scoring if he wants to be considered for the top 10.

As for Oettinger, I could actually see him being the first goalie in the top 10 since Carey Price in '05.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
2017 is deeper than 2016, so less overagers. You have strong Swiss, Slovak and Czech classes, the Russians are always good, and the Swedish/Finn classes are strong as well, especially on defense.

Not sold on the OHL. Some good kids out of Q/W. Also a stronger New England HS class, but 2016 was worst ever so wasnt hard to beat it.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
CHL Import Draft was today....

http://chl.ca/importdraft

2017 draft eligible, Klim Kostin, was the 1st overall pick to Kootenay. Could potentially go in the top 10 of the draft.

Kostin and Samorukov look like top prospects really like their game.

But what about these guys - Chekhovich, Koltygin, Alexeyev??
Joey, Pavel, and others who have seen them, which one would you take ?

Also, the Belarussians look good next year, Baltruk and Sushko.

Otto Makinen was taken by SS Marie, really like this guy, gotta keep an eye on him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kostin and Samorukov look like top prospects really like their game.

But what about these guys - Chekhovich, Koltygin, Alexeyev??
Joey, Pavel, and others who have seen them, which one would you take ?

Also, the Belarussians look good next year, Baltruk and Sushko.

Otto Makinen was taken by SS Marie, really like this guy, gotta keep an eye on him.

I've read good things on Koltygin, although I can't give my own assessment. Alexeyev was really good at the WJC-18's, but he's really small. I didn't even realize Chekhovich played at the WJC-18's, but apparently he did. :laugh:

Kostin and Samorukov had very good WJC-18's, as well. They could both be first round picks.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Alexeyev is small, but wow he can skate. Same with Chekhovich, there's a video from the MHL the past season where he goes end to end for a goal, watch his feet move.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is my top 35 early on.

1. Timothy Liljegren
2. Nolan Patrick
3. Gabriel Vilardi
4. Maxime Comtois
5. Urho Vaakanainen
6. Casey Mittelstadt
7. Cal Foote
8. Erik Brannstrom
9. Eeli Tolvanen
10. Kailer Yamamoto
11. Elias Pettersson
11. Owen Tippett
12. Klim Kostin
13. Kristian Vesalainen
14. Lias Andersson
15. Nico Hischier
16. Scott Reedy
17. Rickard Hugg
18. Juuso Valimaki
19. Kirill Slepets
20. Nicholas Hague
21. Mark Rubinchik
22. Luke Martin
23. Nikita A. Popugayev
24. Antoine Morand
25. Jake Oettinger
26. Dmitri Samorukov
27. Stelio Mattheos
28. Scott Reedy
29. Matt Strome
30. Michael Rasmussen
31. Adam Ruzicka
32. Stuart Skinner
33. Max Gildon
34. Mike Dipietro
35. Jacob Paquette

I like this draft, I just don't think the forwards near the top of the draft are what you'd want if you have a top 5 pick and need a forward. The best of them early on are Patrick, Vilardi, Comtois, Mittelstadt, Tolvanen and Yamamoto. The top end of defenseman could be really good. I'm a really big fan of Liljegren. He could be the best defenseman since Ekblad. The defensive depth is good with all types of different defenseman. Vaakanaien, Foote, Brannstrom, Hague, Valimaki, Rubinchik, Martin, Samorukov, Gildon. The goalies of this draft could be really good. Oettinger might be the best goalie from the NTDP in many years, Skinner and Dipietro could be two of the better goalies out of the CHL recently. The depth of the first few rounds of this draft should be better than 2016, but the top end will probably be worse, if none of the forwards can elevate their games to the elite tier in the next year.

Take this all with a pinch of salt though since its so early on, and I'm no scout. Its just what I've observed so far. Some of these players I haven't even seen play, and am just going off what I've read.

Last edited:

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
Yamamoto is going to drop. He has talent but he makes Zucc look like a giant. His advertised size is an exaggeration. I have seen him a few times and I see a 2-3 rounder not a top ten. His size and style of game is just prone to busts. His brother and him look like bantams vs men when they are on the ice.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This is my top 35 early on.

1. Timothy Liljegren
2. Nolan Patrick
3. Gabriel Vilardi
4. Maxime Comtois
5. Urho Vaakanainen
6. Casey Mittelstadt
7. Cal Foote
8. Erik Brannstrom
9. Eeli Tolvanen
10. Kailer Yamamoto
11. Elias Pettersson
11. Owen Tippett
12. Klim Kostin
13. Kristian Vesalainen
14. Lias Andersson
15. Nico Hischier
16. Scott Reedy
17. Rickard Hugg
18. Juuso Valimaki
19. Kirill Slepets
20. Nicholas Hague
21. Mark Rubinchik
22. Luke Martin
23. Nikita A. Popugayev
24. Antoine Morand
25. Jake Oettinger
26. Dmitri Samorukov
27. Stelio Mattheos
28. Scott Reedy
29. Matt Strome
30. Michael Rasmussen
31. Adam Ruzicka
32. Stuart Skinner
33. Max Gildon
34. Mike Dipietro
35. Jacob Paquette

I like this draft, I just don't think the forwards near the top of the draft are what you'd want if you have a top 5 pick and need a forward. The best of them early on are Patrick, Vilardi, Comtois, Mittelstadt, Tolvanen and Yamamoto. The top end of defenseman could be really good. I'm a really big fan of Liljegren. He could be the best defenseman since Ekblad. The defensive depth is good with all types of different defenseman. Vaakanaien, Foote, Brannstrom, Hague, Valimaki, Rubinchik, Martin, Samorukov, Gildon. The goalies of this draft could be really good. Oettinger might be the best goalie from the NTDP in many years, Skinner and Dipietro could be two of the better goalies out of the CHL recently. The depth of the first few rounds of this draft should be better than 2016, but the top end will probably be worse, if none of the forwards can elevate their games to the elite tier in the next year.

Take this all with a pinch of salt though since its so early on, and I'm no scout. Its just what I've observed so far. Some of these players I haven't even seen play, and am just going off what I've read.

So many names on there I can't pronounce. :laugh:

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I also notice that London took Janne Kuokkanen, the guy that the Canes took with their 43rd pick in the draft from last week. As if they weren't stacked enough(well obviously he might not go there, but if he does). :laugh:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Our top pairing in two seasons! I love it! :naughty:

2017-18 McDonagh-Liljegren first pairing. Two 1D's. Defense solved for the next 10 years with Skjei, Graves and McIlrath also likely to be contributors in the future, if not immediately.

So many names on there I can't pronounce. :laugh:

The Finnish names are usually really hard. I can't believe I already know how to spell Vaakanainen. :laugh:

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007

I would wager a decent amount that this guy will be on the Rangers' radar next June. That's unless he plays himself into the top 5-7 of the draft. USHL players don't usually go that high, but there's a first time for everything.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Thomas DiPauli

According to CSN Mid Atlantic Notre Dame senior Thomas DiPauli, the Caps 4th round pick in 2012, may not be signing with the Caps and if not would become a free agent on August 15. DiPauli was a four year teammate of Steven Fogerty. He would join Jimmy Vescey and Ottawa 2013 6th rounder Quentin Shore from Denver as other August 15 free agents.

"Why no DiPauli: The Capitals would like to give forward prospect Thomas DiPauli (fourth round, 100th overall, in 2012) his first pro contract but his agent apparently thinks he would have a quicker route to the NHL with another organization and held him out of the Caps’ development camp.

DiPauli, 22, completed his four-year commitment at Notre Dame last season, leading the Irish with 14 goals and finishing third on the team with 32 points in 37 games. The Caps have until Aug. 15 to sign him.

“We're working on trying to sign him,†MacLellan said. “It's been ongoing and we'd like to have him turn pro and play in Hershey next year.â€

Apparently, DiPauli believes he’s ready for the NHL and wants a clearer path than he believes the Caps can give him."

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washi...letter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nhl

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'd be all for it. Familiarity with another prospect, has the leadership and offensive production... Give this kid a shot

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I'd be all for it. Familiarity with another prospect, has the leadership and offensive production... Give this kid a shot

Anyone have opinions on Eddie Wittchow, 4 year D from Wisco?
Florida pick, as yet unsigned, so could be another 8/15 UFA

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Fogarty put up most of his points when he was playing with Dipauli, good chemistry between the two, would like it very much if we could sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad