2017 Draft discussion- Sabres pick 8th. Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Come out of the draft with one of Makar, Heiskanen, Liljegren, Valimaki, Brannstrom... and I'll be happy... regardless of the circumstances around it (where they were taken, what we traded, up or down, etc).

Failure to get one of them... I'll be pissed (again, 2016).

I agree, but I think Vaakinainen should be in that mix too. Cal Foote's a worry because he's got so far to go with his skating that I don't think he fills the Sabres biggest needs, but I do think he's a very good prospect.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I agree, but I think Vaakinainen should be in that mix too. Cal Foote's a worry because he's got so far to go with his skating that I don't think he fills the Sabres biggest needs, but I do think he's a very good prospect.

Exactly how bad is Foote's skating? Like Franson/Gorges bad or more like Regehr bad when he first got to buffalo?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Exactly how bad is Foote's skating? Like Franson/Gorges bad or more like Regehr bad when he first got to buffalo?

Better than all of them. It's not even that bad. But what the Sabres need is a true PMD. I would put Foote's skating between Franson now and McCabe when he was drafted. Let's put it this way. Foote's skating is not a hindrance. It just isn't an asset.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I have him 15th overall, beginning of tier 4... so yea, I like him too.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
They've got Alexeyev at both 85 and 93. And if my eyes don't deceive me, Oettinger isn't even in the top 100?

When you've got 255 followers, you go fishing for 300.
At a quick glance, zero goalies there and looks like your standard individual or team board variance based on preferences and viewings .. others may prefer to flip Glass/Vilardi/Pettersson to 3 & 7, Vaakanainen to 15, Norris to 23, etc. .. believe the Barr in that refers to Dave Barr's son too.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
At a quick glance, zero goalies there and looks like your standard individual or team board variance based on preferences and viewings .. others may prefer to flip Glass/Vilardi/Pettersson to 3 & 7, Vaakanainen to 15, Norris to 23, etc. ..
So it really could be Jame?
believe the Barr in that refers to Dave Barr's son too.
Way too close to Bylsma to be Jame. Guess not.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I love Makar but put Liljegren in the AJHL and he puts up the same points. Highlights from the U18, he looks like Phil Housley.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
One of Glass, Vilardi and Mittelstadt is going to drop to 8th, I highly doubt it's Glass. Vilardi is not a good skater. Mittelstadt is a great skater but not only couldn't he do a pullup he also finished last in VO2 at the Combine which makes you question how dedicated he is, he's getting by on natural talent now.

Who's interested in Mittelstadt or Vilardi at 8th over dmen, Liljegren/Valimaki/Brannstrom?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
One of Glass, Vilardi and Mittelstadt is going to drop to 8th, I highly doubt it's Glass. Vilardi is not a good skater. Mittelstadt is a great skater but not only couldn't he do a pullup he also finished last in VO2 at the Combine which makes you question how dedicated he is, he's getting by on natural talent now.

Who's interested in Mittelstadt or Vilardi at 8th over dmen, Liljegren/Valimaki/Brannstrom?
Not I; only forwards I would take at 8 is Petterssen or Tippet after Heiskanen/Makar and Lilejgren are off the board (in no specific order)

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If Ray Shero picks Makar as indicated by Pronman then that could end up being the riskiest first overall pick probably ever. A 5-11 older D playing in the AJHL would be quite the story! Shows how lucky we were to suck in 2015 instead of a year like this.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
If Ray Shero picks Makar as indicated by Pronman then that could end up being the riskiest first overall pick probably ever. A 5-11 older D playing in the AJHL would be quite the story! Shows how lucky we were to suck in 2015 instead of a year like this.

To be fair, we sucked this year too.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
That skating is drool worthy. Hope he is our pick.

Amazing skater.
When did this whole IQ issue start up and I wonder where it started???
Sometimes I wonder about manipulation to drop a players stock in the draft rankings. It doesn't seem to take long for everyone to jump on the bandwagon.
I don't trust the Toronto insiders at all.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Those Liljegren highlights look pretty good until you see this, I cannot recall the last time I've seen a Dman with puck skills like Dahlin.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I love Makar but put Liljegren in the AJHL and he puts up the same points. Highlights from the U18, he looks like Phil Housley.

You can make anyone's highlights look good. He finished the tournament with +/- of -5. I want to see highlights of that -5 portion before I have an opinion on him. A defender needs to be able to defend before anything else. The goals may have nothing to do with him but if they do, that's what makes you hesitate to spend a top10 pick on him.

I have the exact same reservations about Makar who by all accounts has not faced serious competition to show he is competent at his primary job to defend.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Those Liljegren highlights look pretty good until you see this, I cannot recall the last time I've seen a Dman with puck skills like Dahlin.

Very nice. Idk, maybe it's the jerseys or the size. But I feel like Liljegren's skating is more fluid and translates better. I can't put my finger on it exactly.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Thanks for sharing the Liljegren video. Very smooth and controlled. If you squint hard enough the blue jerseys almost almost look like the Sabres jerseys of yesteryear. :laugh:

Is it a sign? :dunno:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Thanks for sharing the Liljegren video. Very smooth and controlled. If you squint hard enough the blue jerseys almost almost look like the Sabres jerseys of yesteryear. :laugh:

Is it a sign? :dunno:
Last night watching I thought the exact same thing and with Fransen gone he can wear number 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad