2017 Draft discussion- Sabres pick 8th. Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Give Kane to Vancouver or some picks to Vegas and if one slips to 5-6 we coukd have him....I think. Should be a fun few days.

Heiskanen and Makar are both gone by 5 if there is any sanity left in this world. I just cannot conceive of a talent evaluator thinking that any of these 2nd tier forwards are more valuable to the franchise going forward than these two. I'm not sure I wouldn't draft Miro 1st, and Makar 2nd, but that has some to do with our center depth.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I prefer Miro to Makar, because I have a thing for hyper intelligent, defensively sound, composed, D with wheels, and it's not like Miro is lacking in skills, he just isn't on Makar's level. I'm fine with either, but we aren't getting either, so :dunno:

agreed.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I think if Liljegren falls to us at 8 we grab him and we don't look back. I highly doubt Makar, Heiskanen or Petterssen is available to us at 8. If either of them are I jump for joy and hope we grab one but after those 3 I have Lilejgren right after.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
We need to take Liljegren at 8... csn you imagine him falling to the leafs? Please dont let that happen.

I agree, I'm also starting to think if Makar/Heiskanen are both gone by 4 someone in need of a D will step up for Liljegren in the top 7. Him having an off year could be a blessing for us, because if he had the season we all expected he would be the concencus top D available.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Exactly.
I've never rated a player like Makar so high, with such limited viewing... He's simply special, one of kind... yea, he could be an epic bust. There's no crystal balls in this game. But his skill is off the charts. It's not a function of lesser competition, and it's not something that's only showing in highlight videos. It's there. I see it.

Agree. Edge work is amazing for a D. Lateral movement is also amazing for a D. Every video I've seen of him, his positioning and sense is basically perfect, at least offensively.

And whis floor is lower? If we are gonna ask silly questions... also for all we know Miro may turn into a Duncan Keith-like player. Thats some quite high potential, no? The way I see it Makar maybe has a higher ceiling and Miro has a higher floor but thats just random estimates and 1 may turn into a complete bust like numerous other top 10 picks... you have all convinced yourselves Makar will reach his potential and will be the next Karlsson...What Im saying is I dont mind if I get the next Karlsson or the next Keith as long as I get one of them. Hence why I would not be against trading up to 5-6 range for either.

As for Jame's response...nonsense.

That's the point. You swing big on Makar, or play safe with Heiskanen.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Agree. Edge work is amazing for a D. Lateral movement is also amazing for a D. Every video I've seen of him, his positioning and sense is basically perfect, at least offensively.

That's the point. You swing big on Makar, or play safe with Heiskanen.

That's how I see it with Valimaki and Liljegren. Valimaki is my safe, do everything dman that a lucky team will be able to throw out 22min a night. Liljegren will either be Karlsson-lite or end up a 3rd pairing PMD ala Beaulieu

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Whats the difference between a prospect like Liljegren and Glass? IMO they are close enough that you take Liljegren since our prospect depth on offense is much better than our defense.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Whats the difference between a prospect like Liljegren and Glass? IMO they are close enough that you take Liljegren since our prospect depth on offense is much better than our defense.

It is as of 2017. But what happens if Kane is traded for Muzzin or Reinhart for Hanifin, and then Kane walks? Or a dman like Scandella is brought in...then our forwards are lacking.

As of now, we can pencil in Risto, McCabe, Guhle, Beaulieu and Antipin for 18/19. We add that elusive top pairing LHD then our blue line is totally set with 6 dmen on the team. All in their early-mid 20s. I say go BPA. A few years ago our D was stacked with Risto, Zadorov, Myers, Pysyk, McCAbe and McNabb. Now our D is lacking....it seems to be cyclical.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
It is as of 2017. But what happens if Kane is traded for Muzzin or Reinhart for Hanifin, and then Kane walks? Or a dman like Scandella is brought in...then our forwards are lacking.

As of now, we can pencil in Risto, McCabe, Guhle, Beaulieu and Antipin for 18/19. We add that elusive top pairing LHD then our blue line is totally set with 6 dmen on the team. All in their early-mid 20s. I say go BPA. A few years ago our D was stacked with Risto, Zadorov, Myers, Pysyk, McCAbe and McNabb. Now our D is lacking....it seems to be cyclical.

Having too many good defensemen is never an issue.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland

You try to prognosticate their development and determine who will be better in 4 or 5yrs. Taking Glass for example he improved his stats by 67pts and is still undersized for his frame. So some look at him as a Schiefle type prospect that will contunue to improve as he gets bigger and stronger. Liljegren had a wasted year due to mono and an underwhelming U18.

Its why you see so many 'redrafts' several years down the line. Would Forsberg have dropped so far if people could have known how he'd have progressed.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

True, and you only need 3-4 good dman, the bottom pairing can be grabbed in FA or cheap in trades.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Played the draft simulator...

Sabres Draft Simulation from draftwired

Picks:
Rd 1 Pk 8 - Cale Makar (RD) Brooks
Rd 1 Pk 24 - Erik Brannstrom (LD) HV-71 Trades (24) from CBJ for (37, 89, 99)
Rd 2 Pk 54 - Pierre-Olivier Joseph (LD) Charlottetown

dreams

I just did as well.

Pick 8 -- Cale Makar, D
Pick 22 -- Kristian Vesalainen, D (traded up for picks 37, 89, 99)
Pick 54 -- Josh Norris, C

Attempt 2:

Pick 8 -- Cale Makar, D
Pick 19 -- Owen Tippet, RW (traded up for 37 and 54)
Pick 89 -- Max Gildon, D

3rd attempt:

Pick 8 -- Cale Makar, D
Pick 37 -- Jake Oettinger, G
Pick 68 -- Morgan Geekie, C (traded 54 for 68 and 87)
Pick 87 -- David Farrance, D
Pick 89 -- MacKenzie Entwistle, C

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If Glass is there at 8 I'm thrilled. If It's Mittlestadt I'm also happy.

I just don't see either D being there. Makar is the dream

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Draft glass, trade Reinhart

Draft valimaki

Draft liljegrin

See if Kane and 8 can get you up to one of the other D

Leave the day with another D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad