2017 Draft - 1st Pick: Kailer Yamamoto - Signs ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
If he succeeds, why are you trading him?

Who was the last winger who was drafted by the Oilers and played his whole career here?

Sorry but I'm getting sick of drafting all these wingers and then getting scraps for them 5 years later.

Sick of it.

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba
Sensitive much? Lmao

Sorry please tell me what type of skil player is less valuable when you make a trade than a small winger?

Yeah let's compare him to the only midget in the league who's worth somthing. How did shroeder, Shinkaruk, Grimaldi etc etc end up. How much is Tyler Ennius worth? Oilers just received a bust for Eberle.

All im saying is even if he succeeds, he won't have the value that drafting a top 4D would. That's a fact, deal with it.

There's always that one guy....

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The skill is there in droves. If he can overcome his size disadvantage and turns it into an advantage he could have a Gionta like career.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Who was the last winger who was drafted by the Oilers and played his whole career here?

Sorry but I'm getting sick of drafting all these wingers and then getting scraps for them 5 years later.

Sick of it.

Dude. He helps us win 2 cups, then we move him for scraps. Are you still complaining?

Yamamoto seriously has the potential to be great. This is just pure pessimism fuelled by frustration at the Ebs trade. Please cool down.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
No big deal he is small. He can skate between maroons legs for safety then. Good pick i think he will pay off he knows how hard he will have to work to make it in the nhl. Also got a good size winger last year so nothing wrong with mixing things up a bit.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Sick of it.

Holy cow, talk about over exaggeration. Calm down, bud.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Sick of it.

Hint: No player we draft, in any position, is likely to play their entire career here.

Including Connor McDavid.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Sick of it.

I believe that if you take out the marginal players that don't play much at all in the NHL, the Oilers have never had any player play their whole career here.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
The size disadvantage is considerable, but I favour a swing-for-the-fences approach in the first round.

And I've never seen any of these prospects play so, sure, I'm cool with this pick. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Yammer has got to be the nickname right?

Or The Yamaha Motor.
Yamama.
Motoman
Flyin' Kailer

That's all I have. I'm not happy with anything.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Hint: No player we draft, in any position, is likely to play their entire career here.

Including Connor McDavid.

That was my point. That even if he beats the heavy odds and becomes a top 20 winger.. it's just not good value.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yammer has got to be the nickname right?

Or The Yamaha Motor.
Yamama.
Motoman
Flyin' Kailer

That's all I have. I'm not happy with anything.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

:naughty::naughty::naughty:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I like it. I think he has the most upside of players selected in the 20's and beyond.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
That was my point. That even if he beats the heavy odds and becomes a top 20 winger.. it's just not good value.

If you're drafting for future trade value, you're doing it wrong, and shouldn't have an NHL job.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
As stated previously, I can see why people might have concern about his size but he has produced consistently at an impressive rate, at every single level thus far. I do not put much credence in the 'age' debate -- people develop along their own timelines, what is the problem with that?

Regardless, I'm quite happy with the pick. This kid has drive, skates very well, and has the ability to process on the same high level at that speed. He will be a fine fit. As someone else noted, Chiarelli with a bit of intrigue re: his trollish comment about being done 'for today' to Friedman's question -- after he had drafted.

Sup

Oct 13, 2016
I like it. I think he has the most upside of players selected in the 20's and beyond.

I think he will impress a lot of people on this board. Was fortunate to catch a few of his games and never thought he'd be available. Has arguably the best vision and skill in the draft, his height is only thing keeping him from the top of most lists. The way he changes gears and confuses defenders with his elusive movements and skating truly reminds me of Gaudreau. Gaudreau is more of a puck carrier and has the puck on a string when entering the zone but YamaGOATo utilizes his teammates with well timed passes and ozone looks thanks to his amazing vision. Very very happy with this pick.

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015
Sensitive much? Lmao

Sorry please tell me what type of skil player is less valuable when you make a trade than a small winger?

Yeah let's compare him to the only midget in the league who's worth somthing. How did shroeder, Shinkaruk, Grimaldi etc etc end up. How much is Tyler Ennius worth? Oilers just received a bust for Eberle.

All im saying is even if he succeeds, he won't have the value that drafting a top 4D would. That's a fact, deal with it.

Haha. Not sensitive at all. In fact didn't know anything about the kid until we drafted him. Thought I'd click on the thread about him to find out more. But once again have to read posts from negative people.
But I'm sure you can all enlighten us on the no miss top 4 Dman that we should have drafted at 22. News flash for you, most of the players drafted tonight won't play a game in the league. But your comment was beyond stupid. I would have assumed that someone who posts on this site as much as you would have a tiny bit of smarts when it comes to the stuff he is actually posting about.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
If you're drafting for future trade value, you're doing it wrong, and shouldn't have an NHL job.

Better to keep the same strategy that made the first rebuild fail?

And then the Oilers couldn't even use those pieces. Had to settle on Russel because after all those 1st round small forwards, don't have the assets to get even a Hamonic.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Better to keep the same strategy that made the first rebuild fail?

And then the Oilers couldn't even use those pieces. Had to settle on Russel because after all those 1st round small forwards, don't have the assets to get even a Hamonic.

So, why didn't other teams that were known to be on Hamonic trade for him if the asking price is two first round picks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad