Prospect Info: 2017 Draft - 1st Pick: Kailer Yamamoto II Rookie Pro Season in the Books

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
So he’s looked good early with 3 points in 4 games. Oiler fans must be glued to the puck when he has it. This franchise badly needs a couple of high end forwards and D.

With Nurse etc...and Bouchard and eventually Bro on the way I think they are rounding out their D nicely.

But they’ve had bad luck with forwards. Especially wingers. Puljujarvi I guess can still turn it around, but he’s as close to bust as could get without giving up on him. RNH flashing at times but still no real consistency. I forget if they even have any other potential top line wingers other than Yams.

Playing with either McD, Drai or both, Yams looks like he’s going to be a key piece for them. He really could end up putting up crazy good stats with either of them centering him. I’d think 10 or more points higher than he might achieve with 90% of NHL teams.

I’m on the Yamamoto express I think. Choo choo.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Fun fact: Yamamoto is currently 2nd in ppg this season for anyone in the 2017 draft. He's behind Elias Petterson and directly in front of Nico Hischer.

Edit: Out of forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePhoenixx

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
IMO he hasn't shown a ton of skill just yet but his work ethic and grit have been top notch.
Which I'm totally okay with. Showing off your skills is usually related to confidence, and i would think the average player trying to make the NHL after a couple seasons in the AHL isn't the most confident, so they may hold back on some of the more skillful plays due to fear of messing up.

Something like giving it your all every shift though is something anyone can, and should do when trying to make the NHL, and you can tell even just his injection of energy has made a difference. I believe he absolutely has a high level of skill which we will hopefully see in the near future, but as far as getting his feet wet this season, he's doing great imo.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
IMO he hasn't shown a ton of skill just yet but his work ethic and grit have been top notch.

I would agree with this. I don't think he has that much natural skill to be honest. There certainly isn't anything that jumps out as a ++ thing for him. For him to be successful, I think he'll have to have a "dog on a bone" mentality for most of his shifts. So far so good on that front though, with limited sample size of course.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Good enough complimentary winger to Drai or McDavid. We need someone as good or better than RNH as the secondary line driver.

RNH/X-McDavid-Kassian
RNH/X-Drai-Yamamoto

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Good enough complimentary winger to Drai or McDavid. We need someone as good or better than RNH as the secondary line driver.

RNH/X-McDavid-Kassian
RNH/X-Drai-Yamamoto

I think we’ll see Benson up soon. We need to see what we have there before the deadline. If he can have the same or similar impact as Yamamoto he could be another complimentary piece.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006

That goal that he scored against Boston (spin at the blue line then going top corner) is a goal that maybe three other forwards on the Oilers could score. He did it going against McAvoy and Halak. He has shown glimpses of this type of skill and he will be a beast by the time he's 23

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think of Yam as an Eberle with tons and tons of more effort, tenacity, forechecking and worth ethic but with also less skill. Constantly reminds me of a Gallagher type player

When he was drafted I felt that he could be a grittier and faster Eberle. Time will tell but I'd like to see more skill to still feel that he can get there. Regardless he looks like a serviceable NHLer and will hopefully only get better from here on out.

That goal that he scored against Boston (spin at the blue line then going top corner) is a goal that maybe three other forwards on the Oilers could score. He did it going against McAvoy and Halak. He has shown glimpses of this type of skill and he will be a beast by the time he's 23

I am honestly drawing a blank on that goal, he has shown tons of effort and heart but I'd still like to see more skill and hopefully will as he gains more confidence at this level.

Reactions: replacement

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I feel like he's earned some pp time.

Where though? The Oilers have the #1 PP in the league, he's not taking Klefbom, Nuge, McDavid, or Drai's PP spot. Chiasson and Neal both play net front, he won't be playing that spot either.

I'm sure he's locked up time on the second unit, but the Oilers don't really have one!

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Where though? The Oilers have the #1 PP in the league, he's not taking Klefbom, Nuge, McDavid, or Drai's PP spot. Chiasson and Neal both play net front, he won't be playing that spot either.

I'm sure he's locked up time on the second unit, but the Oilers don't really have one!

If I were the Oilers I would give relatively equal time to both units, but I would have McDrai on both of them:

PP1:
Neal
Nuge Draisaitl McDavid
Klefbom

PP2:
Chiasson
Yamamoto Draisaitl McDavid
Bear

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So far he's been crushing people's expectations. I'm expecting him to slow down in terms of points but I hope he can keep his high motor and build on his emerging offensive skills.

He needs to start scoring some goals. Otherwise he is blowing away expectations. He had his best game as an Oiler against the shames. Him and RNH getting some chemistry. Draisaitl will too I'm sure if this continues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad