Prospect Info: 2017 Draft - 1st Pick: Kailer Yamamoto II Rookie Pro Season in the Books

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Game is getting slower for him, he skates right lanes and finds others with precise passes. Defensively responsible. He has found confidence to play almost his own type of game with elements that coach wants and therefore it looks good now. Hopefully Yama can take small step with skating (top speed) and he is great winger for us. Seems to gel well with other guys too.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Alot more defensively reliable than i would have thought. And hes good at winning board battles. Hes alot more than just a small purely skilled player. Him and Benson will be grat injections into this top 6/9 as both are very multi faceted. Both are good without the puck and great playmaker with high IQ

Reactions: Oilhawks

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I will eat some crow cause I said he would be a complete non factor which was me like quadrupling down on it.

That said as I said before I want to see consistency from him before I eat crow. After 20 games I will say my mind about his game.

So you gonna eat or not?

Dude doesn't respond to anyone that calls his crap out.

It's great, you can say whatever you want and he's just a sponge.

No kidding yet he'll come and defend Puljujarvi like he was never given a chance to play. But hey, somehow he saw Yamo play during the preseason and was able to make a sound assessment

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I can't wait until he settles in and they trust him on the PK, because I could really see him having more success there for this team.

Reactions: frag2

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He is really showing good chemistry with RNH out there. We finally have a dominant line without having to load up McDrai on a line.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
omg i just figured out that he was #29 in junior but can't have it because of LD so he just multiplied it by two and got 58.

(mind exploding emoji)

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
omg i just figured out that he was #29 in junior but can't have it because of LD so he just multiplied it by two and got 58.

(mind exploding emoji)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I will eat some crow cause I said he would be a complete non factor which was me like quadrupling down on it.

That said as I said before I want to see consistency from him before I eat crow. After 20 games I will say my mind about his game.

He is playing extremely well.

Last night not on the score sheet but still great.

However his goal scoring needs to improve. He still has not shown that yet at the nhl level.

In the next 20 games if he can pot some goals and beat an nhl goalie combined with his current level of play he might just stick. Until he does though I expect a return to the AHL. A lot of his success at the moment is because he is playing with 2 all stars.

Reactions: optimism

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
He is really showing good chemistry with RNH out there. We finally have a dominant line without having to load up McDrai on a line.

RNH, like Drai, are better when they move their legs. Yamo's constant hustling and forecheck kind of forces them to provide support and thus, move their legs.

It does help though that RNH isn't playing C on his line because that dump and chase method he falls back on doesn't work anymore.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yamo has been a great fit on the right wing with Drai and RNH on the left side. He is tenacious and defensively responsible, can make a pass and has nice offensive instincts. He completes a 2nd line for us and we are a much larger threat with 2 scoring lines than 1.

Reactions: optimism and frag2

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Yama is a really smart player. I have always felt if he can just skate fast enough he will be a solid NHL player. His skating is just fine.

I think he will be a great player, watch him get chemistry with Drai and Nuge and we finally have a legit second line.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
RNH, like Drai, are better when they move their legs. Yamo's constant hustling and forecheck kind of forces them to provide support and thus, move their legs.

It does help though that RNH isn't playing C on his line because that dump and chase method he falls back on doesn't work anymore.

While I agree that Nuge's constant dumping was an annoyance, it might actually be a worthwhile move now that he has two players with good footspeed, high hockey-IQ, and effective skill along the boards on his line.
More often than not, there was very little "chase" (and even less "retrieve") after those RNH dumps.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
While I agree that Nuge's constant dumping was an annoyance, it might actually be a worthwhile move now that he has two players with good footspeed, high hockey-IQ, and effective skill along the boards on his line.
More often than not, there was very little "chase" (and even less "retrieve") after those RNH dumps.

It's a possession game these days. I'd rather have possession entering the zone than to dump it and have 50-50 chance of regaining.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
It's a possession game these days. I'd rather have possession entering the zone than to dump it and have 50-50 chance of regaining.

Just to be clear, I agree with you in principle. Possession / carrying the puck into the offensive zone should be the oilers primary means of attack. We've certainly got the horses to do it (McDavid!).

Buuuut, you still need dump/chase as part of a balanced attack. If you're only ever attempting to carry, defenses will adjust accordingly. You need to force them to stay honest (and not charge the line). Also, it depends greatly on your opponent... it might seem counter-intuitive, but dumping is often the safer move. Even if the other team recovers your dump, it's usually behind their goal-line. That's certainly better than forcing a strip or a turn-over in the neutral zone -which quick transitioning teams will absolutely destroy you on.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

That depends on the D system the other team is playing. When they are constantly challenging the forwards at the blueline then you pretty much have to dump it in or you will turn it over at the blue line.
At least in that scenario you have a better chance at retrieval when the entire opposing team has to pivot before skating after the puck.

So I dont mind dump in's when its appropriate to do it. I trust that Nuge is a smart enough player to make a good decision about the best way to gain possession in the O zone.

Also...puck retrieval is something that Yamamoto is very good at.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

(mind exploding emoji)
Was he 5"8 when drafted? I kinda thought it was his height, but OK.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Just to be clear, I agree with you in principle. Possession / carrying the puck into the offensive zone should be the oilers primary means of attack. We've certainly got the horses to do it (McDavid!).

Buuuut, you still need dump/chase as part of a balanced attack. If you're only ever attempting to carry, defenses will adjust accordingly. You need to force them to stay honest (and not charge the line). Also, it depends greatly on your opponent... it might seem counter-intuitive, but dumping is often the safer move. Even if the other team recovers your dump, it's usually behind their goal-line. That's certainly better than forcing a strip or a turn-over in the neutral zone -which quick transitioning teams will absolutely destroy you on.
Exactly. Especially if you are carrying the puck in 1 vs 5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->