WJC: 2017 Canada Roster Talk - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tbaywingfan

Oct 19, 2013
Now that a disappointing 2016 tournament is behind us, it's now time to turn our focus to 2017 on home ice. Obviously a lot can happen between now and then, but there's every reason to believe that Canada will be in the mix for a gold medal. Let's hear your thoughts on next year's roster/roster candidates!

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Beauvillier-Barzal-Jost
Dubois-Patrick-Konecny
Brown-McLeod-Gauthier
Merkley-Harkins-Stephens
Senyshyn

(assuming Strome, Marner, Crouse are in the NHL)

Chabot-Juulsen
Chychrun-Fabbro
Lauzon-Roy
Meloche
Guhle ( if Chychrun is in NHL )

Sawchenko
McNiven
Hart

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
As far as 2017 eligible draft picks, Nolan Patrick will be in the running for a roster spot, no? I've never watched him play, but being from Manitoba, I know I should keep my eye out for him.

Ideal and possible returnees could include Konecny, Barzal, Beauvillier, Stephens, Gauthier. Marner and Strome possibly kept up with their respective NHL clubs?

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Beauvillier-Barzal-Jost
Dubois-Patrick-Konecny
Crouse-McLeod-Gauthier
Merkley-Harkins-Stephens
Brown, Senyshyn

(assuming Strome, Marner are in the NHL
Chabot-Juulsen
Chychrun-Fabbro
Lauzon-Roy
Meloche

Sawchenko
McNiven
Hart

Crouse will be a LONG shot

Tallon has already stated he looks NHL ready.

Tbaywingfan

Oct 19, 2013
Now that a disappointing 2016 tournament is behind us, it's now time to turn our focus to 2017 on home ice. Obviously a lot can happen between now and then, but there's every reason to believe that Canada will be in the mix for a gold medal. Let's hear your thoughts on next year's roster/roster candidates!

My personal roster a year before the fact might look like this:

Beauvillier Barzal Gauthier
Jost Patrick Merkley
Dubois Stephens Konecny
Benson N.Roy Senyshyn
McLeod

Consider lines 2 and 3 interchangeable
( Predicting that McDavid,Marner, Strome, and Crouse will be in the NHL

HM : Harkins, Brown

Chabot Juulsen
Chychrun J.Roy
Lauzon Fabbro
Bear

HM: Vande Sompel, Bean, Guhle, Meloche, Wotherspoon

Sawchenko
Booth
Hart

HM: McNiven

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
We will be the favorites.

Our best players this year were 18 year olds. The only 2 other teams with this much youth were Finland and the USA. Matthews, and Puuliarjvi will be in the NHL.

I have a feeling we will get AT LEAST 1 of Strome/Marner. Marner as everyone say is highly skilled, but small, and he needs to work on developing strength and explosiveness in his skating. If he doesnt do that by September he could be back. Meanwhile Strome clearly has all the attributes of a pro player - strong on the puck, good shot, hockey IQ, hard working, but he still needs work on his skating. Hes made improvements BIG TIME since the summer camp, and if he makes similar improvements he too could find himself in the NHL.

People might disagree with me on this, but our 97 defence age group is better than 96. Chabot, as we all saw, is a player to watch. Noah Juulsen was a late cut thus year and will be on the team next year. Chychrun will be on the team and can have an impact. Jeremy Roy will likely make the team. I see our D group being much better this year.

Not sure about the goalies, but as I have always pointed out, if most other things go well, we dont need stud goalies.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
We will be the favorites.

Our best players this year were 18 year olds. The only 2 other teams with this much youth were Finland and the USA. Matthews, and Puuliarjvi will be in the NHL.

I have a feeling we will get AT LEAST 1 of Strome/Marner. Marner as everyone say is highly skilled, but small, and he needs to work on developing strength and explosiveness in his skating. If he doesnt do that by September he could be back. Meanwhile Strome clearly has all the attributes of a pro player - strong on the puck, good shot, hockey IQ, hard working, but he still needs work on his skating. Hes made improvements BIG TIME since the summer camp, and if he makes similar improvements he too could find himself in the NHL.

People might disagree with me on this, but our 97 defence age group is better than 96. Chabot, as we all saw, is a player to watch. Noah Juulsen was a late cut thus year and will be on the team next year. Chychrun will be on the team and can have an impact. Jeremy Roy will likely make the team. I see our D group being much better this year.

Not sure about the goalies, but as I have always pointed out, if most other things go well, we dont need stud goalies.
Marner and Strome will both be in the NHL

They aren't developing in the OHL

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was going over all the rosters for next year recently, and I think you guys should be much better defensively. Offensively, maybe a slight improvement. I don't think it'll help losing players like Strome, Marner and Barzal to the NHL. If you guys don't, Canada's offense might be comparable to last year. Also, Hart should be the starter for Canada in goal. I don't know how people are naming others ahead of him.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Marner, Strome, and Barzal should all be back, but because they can't play in the AHL they might not be. None of them are going to develop much in the OHL, but I don't think they are NHL ready at this time (could change by next October of course).

Jyrgen

Oct 10, 2005
Dont think Marner will be in the NHL. Nor Babcock or Lou is very keen on giving the kids play time early.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Marner and Strome will both be in the NHL

They aren't developing in the OHL

What expertise do you have in saying "they arent developing" in the OHL. Just because they score a lot, doesnt mean you can't develop.

As I said, if Mitch Marner doesnt become a much stronger skater, he wont be on the team. He isnt big enough, fast enough, or even have a good enough shot to be in the NHL if he doesnt strengthen his skating. That will happen, but Im not sure it will over just 9 months

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
States will be the favorites, dont like our team next year either.

Also Chabot may be in the NHL.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
What expertise do you have in saying "they arent developing" in the OHL. Just because they score a lot, doesnt mean you can't develop.

As I said, if Mitch Marner doesnt become a much stronger skater, he wont be on the team. He isnt big enough, fast enough, or even have a good enough shot to be in the NHL if he doesnt strengthen his skating. That will happen, but Im not sure it will over just 9 months

Marner, Strome, and Barzal all have bad habits that you can get away with in junior, but won't cut it at a higher level. Ideally they all need to be in the AHL, unfortunately that isn't an option. Those habits aren't likely to change in junior where they can dangle around lesser competition and rack up points.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head

About as much as you do saying "AT LEAST 1" will be back

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Dont think Marner will be in the NHL. Nor Babcock or Lou is very keen on giving the kids play time early.

He's caught in the middle of that stupid AHL eligibility rule. Do you send him for a third triple digit OHL season or to the NHL? Neither option sounds like the right call, IMO.

Personally, I think they might need to consider lending him to a Euro Mens League next year if the Leafs doesn't seem right.

Jyrgen

Oct 10, 2005
He's caught in the middle of that stupid AHL eligibility rule. Do you send him for a third triple digit OHL season or to the NHL? Neither option sounds like the right call, IMO.

Personally, I think they might need to consider lending him to a Euro Mens League next year if the Leafs doesn't seem right.
I think europe might be the best choice actually. If thats possible.

The Big ice with possession hockey could be perfect for his decision making developing and play making skills .. Babs likes to play a more euro style hockey so..

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Even if Marner doesn't go back to Junior I can still see the Leafs releasing him for the tourney .. They're probably not going to be in winning position next year, Marner will likely still need a lot of physical development and won't be playing big minutes with the Leafs if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad