NCAA GDT: 2017 Big 10 Championship Game: Ohio State Buckeyes (10-2) vs Wisconsin Badgers (12-0)

B1G

• Ohio State Buckeyes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Wisconsin Badgers

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Penn State's offense will probably be more efficient this year opposed to the wildness last year. Their O-Line still wasn't anything really to write home about last year. The change in offense to a spread/RPO & getting a mobile QB just masked it. But I think this upcoming year you'll see a better unit that actually contributes to the offense as it should be a more talented & experienced group. They lost Godwin but they're pretty deep at wideout still to where as a group they can likely pick up the slack. Barkley & Gesicki are obviously still there with hopefully improved depth behind them at their positions.

Their defense needs to get better though. That's where most of the questions on the team are at imo.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I think the schedule could end up being tougher this year as well for the Lions. We know there will be the hype for the Michigan and @ O$U games. But can't overlook those games vs. Nebraska, @ Iowa and @ Northwestern. I wouldn't be shocked if they lost 1 of those 3.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
B1G is really upping its coaching game, one of the reasons they'll continue to become better as a conference moving forward. Far cry from 5 to 6 years ago when the coaching pool was really poor.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
Penn State's offense will probably be more efficient this year opposed to the wildness last year. Their O-Line still wasn't anything really to write home about last year. The change in offense to a spread/RPO & getting a mobile QB just masked it. But I think this upcoming year you'll see a better unit that actually contributes to the offense as it should be a more talented & experienced group. They lost Godwin but they're pretty deep at wideout still to where as a group they can likely pick up the slack. Barkley & Gesicki are obviously still there with hopefully improved depth behind them at their positions.

Their defense needs to get better though. That's where most of the questions on the team are at imo.
I love the D-line. Its young, but really talented, and enough talented bodies for a healthy rotation. Linebacker is the unit that was hurt a lot by the sanctions and then by just bad luck in the recruiting trail. I really like the starting unit, but man, if they get injuries there, it could be bad. Still though, that's what happened last year at the position, and I think they have more depth now even with the loss of Bell. The Reid injury is a blow to the secondary, but the staff has recruited lights out there and we should see that unit to really blossom. I understand the concerns about the defense, but its very talented and they played a lot of young guys last year, should start to bare some fruit.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I love the D-line. Its young, but really talented, and enough talented bodies for a healthy rotation. Linebacker is the unit that was hurt a lot by the sanctions and then by just bad luck in the recruiting trail. I really like the starting unit, but man, if they get injuries there, it could be bad. Still though, that's what happened last year at the position, and I think they have more depth now even with the loss of Bell. The Reid injury is a blow to the secondary, but the staff has recruited lights out there and we should see that unit to really blossom. I understand the concerns about the defense, but its very talented and they played a lot of young guys last year, should start to bare some fruit.

They have talent on defense it's just that some of it is unknown right now as they're going to be rotating some guys in who haven't played at all to this point. Along the D-Line & corner position you're going to see some first & second year freshmen who haven't played yet taking a fair amount of snaps this year.

I think they'll be good enough for most of their schedule as the Big Ten isn't really known for explosive offenses as a whole. Penn State's offense can put up points & do so quickly so that can help their defense in this conference where most offenses aren't built to play those type of games. But the big games (Ohio State, Michigan, etc.) is where they'll need to step up.

Sep 19, 2008
Might have a top 25 recruiting class this year. Same with Maryland. The most underrated recruiting ground in the nation is the beltway.

Lot of good local talent here but they usually end up going somewhere else to play. Some kid on the news today was from Wooton near Rockville. Went to play at UNC and now is on the Eagles.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Oh, speaking of recruiting...
IMG_1758.png

Hm would you look at that?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Midseason update, standings are below:

DYcO5GlOSb_oRuzug6L54A.png

I think this also played out as everyone expected. Michigan State is doing better than I thought, not sure about other people though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad