2017-2018 Standings Tracker

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Drives me nuts looking at these other teams in the basement. The Red Wings have one legitimate high-end talent in Larkin and even he wouldn't be considered a 'star' player, that's it. None of these other scrub organizations (with the exception of Vancouver) should be picking before they do, yet it's possible the Wings are going to be outside the top 10.

Goes to show you just how truly bad you have to be in this league to finish near the bottom...and just how difficult it can be to crawl back out. Detroit's time in the basement is coming. Zetterberg retiring is going to create such a massive hole. I get people are "angry" this team isn't lower in the standings right now, but over the next decade the Red Wings will have plenty of seasons at the bottom.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Goes to show you just how truly bad you have to be in this league to finish near the bottom...and just how difficult it can be to crawl back out. Detroit's time in the basement is coming. Zetterberg retiring is going to create such a massive hole. I get people are "angry" this team isn't lower in the standings right now, but over the next decade the Red Wings will have plenty of seasons at the bottom.
You do realize there is a major factor in why people want the Red Wings to fall as low as possible this season, correct?

Reactions: njx9 and Dotter

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You do realize there is a major factor in why people want the Red Wings to fall as low as possible this season, correct?

Dahlin, McDavid, Matthews... there's usually always a reason (lately). Gernational talent seems to either be an overused word, or there's more generational talent in (in and coming to) the NHL.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Let's say they're approximately the 8th worst team in the league for a decade. And accordingly draft about 8th overall (on average) for that duration.

Do you agree or disagree with the notion that, if they finished 3-5 positions lower in the standings, and drafted 3rd to 5th overall on average, that they would have a significantly better prospect pool to rebuild with?

I'm cool with staying in the basement for awhile, but the whole benefit from that scenario is supposed to be better access to really good new players. If being a bad team is a given, then be bad enough to go after the best guys to rebuild with, instead of the leftover scraps of each top 10 class.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Gernational talent seems to either be an overused word, or there's more generational talent in (in and coming to) the NHL.

Why not both? Maybe it's recency bias, but it sure seems like the top end of the draft is coming in better and more ready to contribute right out of the gate than previously.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So the worst possible place we finish now is 7th. We just need Edmonton to win one game then we can't finish higher than 6th. Huge help from the Hawks and Islanders in the last 2 nights.

If we stay the 6th worst team:
7.5% chance at #1 pick
23.3% chance at top 3 pick
0% chance at pick #4 or #5
74.6% chance at picks #6-9 (most likely pick #7)
2.1% chance at pick 10

If we finish as 7th worst team
6.5% chance at #1 pick
20.4% chance at top 3 pick
0% chance at pick #4, #5, or #6
78.6% chance at picks 7-10 (most likely pick #8)
1.0 % chance at pick #11

I hope we stay as the 6th worst team, then we are pretty much guaranteed a top 9 pick. Also like the possibility of getting the 6th pick, vs no chance at picking 6th.

In either scenario the most likely outcome is that we draft 7th or 8th.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
So the worst possible place we finish now is 7th. We just need Edmonton to win one game then we can't finish higher than 6th. Huge help from the Hawks and Islanders in the last 2 nights.

Edmonton winning is what we need to hope for. As well as we've been playing, I don't see us losing either of these last two games.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Draft slot - Points - Row - Games Remaining

7. EDM 74 (30) - 2
6. DET - 72 (25) - 2
5. VAN -70 (30) - 2
4. ARI - 69 (27) - 2
3. MTL - 69 (26) - 2

There are 7 games remaining that affect our final standings.

April 5th
1. Det vs Mon
2. LV vs Edm
3. Ari vs Van (somebody is getting points)

April 6th
No games that affect

April 7th
4. NYI vs Det
5. Mon vs Tor
6. Ana vs Ari
7. Van vs Edm

With a win tonight, we'll be pretty much locked to 6th, 7th but if we lose things could get interesting for the last day.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
If Detroit loses in regulation, and Arizona wins in OT/SO, it would be three teams at 71 points, and the Wings at 72, with one game to go.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Why not both? Maybe it's recency bias, but it sure seems like the top end of the draft is coming in better and more ready to contribute right out of the gate than previously.
The league is shifting younger and younger.

Better athletes every year, and an upward trajectory in talent. It’s why if I was a GM I would be very hesitant to ever sign anything more than a 4 year deal for a UFA. A lot of players who 10 years ago would have left the league at 40 are being phased out in their early to mid 30s now.

Helm, Abby’s, and Nielsen’s contract is going to look SO bad lol.

Reactions: njx9

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
What's our shootout record... I feel like when we needed the points to make playoffs we went like 1 and 10, now that we dont need the point we win no stop. We have the lowest row in the league I believe

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
i dont see montreal passing us with them playing Toronto for their last game. I think 4th last is reasonably possible. Im content with 6th.. anything else is just a bonus.

Yup. Perfectly happy to know we'll pick somewhere in the top 9 regardless of how screwy/idiotic the lottery goes/is. Equally happy to know my pessimism was unwarranted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad