League News: 2017-2018 General NHL Fan Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I feel like BMac should continue to target and loot dumb GM's. Does Montreal have a RHD PP type we can target in case Carlson bolts?
I wish, but it seems Bergevin has managed the Canadiens into being a terrible team that is also asset poor. He just traded one of his valuable chips for a winger who had more non-empty net goals last season than 0 Capitals' regular forwards. Two of his other potentially valuable trade chips have contracts that are basically untradeable (Weber and Price). He really has to nail the Pacioretty trade, or that franchise is going to be out in the wilderness for a while. Maybe they're just tanking for Lafreniere?

Petry is the only non-Weber RHD they have with any semblance of NHL PP ability, and I'd much rather just put Niskanen or Bowey up there.

Reactions: RandyHolt

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I somehow never heard about the dead hands thing while he was here. I'd bet the Caps never made him an offer.

Such a shame his body is betraying him. Loved Alzner.

I said this before last year but Crazy Karl is done. His body is shot. He was never fleet of foot but injuries have sapped him of all mobility and he's a traffic cone out there. He is a smaller, weaker, slower, less physical version of Brooks Orpik at this point.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I feel that to the general populus Alzner's contributions in Washington are but a fleeting memory. When I see his name discussed he's often discredited and besmirched, honestly though before he was injured he was one of the most reliable d-men we had. Karl will always be a Cap to me.

Jun 15, 2007
I actually think Weber would make a good target if Carlson walks.

1) RHD
2) His only weakness is his lack of speed, which should be mitigated by being partnered with Kempny
3) He would only be asked to be the No.3 defenseman here, with Orlov-Niskanen doing the heavy lifting.
4) His contract isn't that bad. Nashville eats the cap recapture if he retires. After 2022 he will be a positive asset to a cap rich, cash poor team.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I actually think Weber would make a good target if Carlson walks.

1) RHD
2) His only weakness is his lack of speed, which should be mitigated by being partnered with Kempny
3) He would only be asked to be the No.3 defenseman here, with Orlov-Niskanen doing the heavy lifting.
4) His contract isn't that bad. Nashville eats the cap recapture if he retires. After 2022 he will be a positive asset to a cap rich, cash poor team.

I couldn't disagree more. If Carlson walks let one of the Hershey boys come up and re-sign Kempny. It is fiscally and organizationally the smart thing to do. Let the kids play and sink or swim with them. This season has to show them that that is the way to go.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Good guy. He got really lucky because had he been available in the draft, lets say five years later than he was, he probably goes in the fifth round and not the first.

Not physical, can't move the puck, no booming shot, no great passing ability, just a steady guy who showed up to work every day.
Disagree on the draft status.

He was seen as a great skater who moved the puck well and had elite defensive instincts. Some excerpts:

Solid blueliner will be an NHL fixture for years. Plays a well rounded and poised game. Smart and mature beyond his years. At his best in the defensive zone, but has plenty of puck skill. Exceptionally crisp, clean passer. Has a textbook skating stride – wide, balanced, and smooth. Moves puck well from his own zone and on PP. Outstanding positioning and instincts in the defensive end. Contains very well and never gets out of position. Always makes quick decisions with and without the puck. Thinks the game well. Is a reliable, calming presence. Isn’t a big hitter, but has good strength and is effective clearing the crease and separating opponents from the puck along the boards. Cool and calm no matter what the situation. Very polished and won’t require much more development time before he steps into an NHL role.

Pencil him in on your blueline for the next 10-12 years.

Style compares to: Wade Redden

Central Scouting Bureau
Final Ranking: 5 Mid-Term Ranking: 8

Central Scouting Report: A skilled stay-at-home defenseman with good skating ability … is calm under pressure and composed with the puck … has good positioning and reads the play well … has a strong shot from the point … wins battles along the boards and in his own zone … needs to improve his acceleration and his ability to change tempo throughout the game.

I just think the scouts were generally wrong about his puck skills. He'd still be considered a high-first draft pick. His draft profile is not dissimilar to Hadyn Fleury (draft year numbers were almost identical), who went #7 OA in 2014.

Reactions: Sam Spade

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Let the kids play and sink or swim with them. This season has to show them that that is the way to go.

How many kids did the Caps sink or swim with this season? Djoos skated with Carlson and was not up to it. His playoff minutes when he was not scratched were severely managed and often less then 10 per game. Bowey just didn't play. Vrana succeeded to an extent in a secondary role.

If you think 17 minute Kempny and Djoos together are going to replace a 25 min defenseman and a primary roles on a top power play and PK and as the primary set up player for the Caps first source of goals, I see a lot of sink going on.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I used to get so pissed about how they tried to develop Alzner. More like, change Alzner.

Here's the thing. They didn't need to do anything - he was pretty much ready to go, hence his draft status as a pretty simple stay at homer. We moved him to RD and had him taking risks, and he failed. It opened the door for Carlson to unexpected be called up/paired with Poti, and the rest is history. Alzner finally got his chance the next year.

On that similar note, I generally disagree with modern day coaching and a preference to have a stay at homer aggressively moving up, and the PMD expected to race back to the puck, and not get destroyed on the forecheck. In the end, its a forward back that was covering the step up, and softest Dman facing the forecheck, and the slowest D basically the farthest player from his own goal. Yes I realize the irony in sounding off now after winning the cup. But doing that created more chaos in our own attempts at coverage, than it was gloriously utilizing a PMDs best trait. Under Bruce we were far too predictable when doing it. Barry seemed to be much more selective on when to have Orpik step up.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If Carlson walks... maybe they trade Bowey for #2RD level guy with PK skills and then Green to be the same level guy with PP skills. Niskanen can't play all game himself.

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I couldn't disagree more. If Carlson walks let one of the Hershey boys come up and re-sign Kempny. It is fiscally and organizationally the smart thing to do. Let the kids play and sink or swim with them. This season has to show them that that is the way to go.

It’s not in any way smart to piss away next year doing that.

Try your best to field the best roster while Ovy is still here.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It’s not in any way smart to piss away next year doing that.

Try your best to field the best roster while Ovy is still here.

Yep. Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Holtby are all UFAs in two or three years. They are neck and neck with Pittsburgh for the best center depth in the league. Go for it now.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Yep. Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Holtby are all UFAs in two or three years. They are neck and neck with Pittsburgh for the best center depth in the league. Go for it now.

Go for what? Sorry but winning back to back Cups is just so far off of my radar I can't imagine it. I also don't care that much, Caps could miss the playoffs next season and I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep.

I just hope Reirdon keeps playing the kids the way Barry was forced to.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Go for what? Sorry but winning back to back Cups is just so far off of my radar I can't imagine it. I also don't care that much, Caps could miss the playoffs next season and I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep.

I just hope Reirdon keeps playing the kids the way Barry was forced to.

Go for multiple Cups. Of course it's off the radar since it's incredibly difficult to do but we've seen it a bunch of times before... a team breaks through for one then said team wins multiple Cups in a short span of time. In the past 20 years see the Red Wings, Blackhawks, Bruins, Kings, and Penguins. I believe if the Caps had won in 2009 or 2016 they'd have won multiple Cups before now as well.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Go for multiple Cups. Of course it's off the radar since it's incredibly difficult to do but we've seen it a bunch of times before... a team breaks through for one then said team wins multiple Cups in a short span of time. In the past 20 years see the Red Wings, Blackhawks, Bruins, Kings, and Penguins. I believe if the Caps had won in 2009 or 2016 they'd have won multiple Cups before now as well.

As long as they don't trade away decent prospects for a guy like Weber I will be happy. Now if, and it's a big if, they can re-sign Carlson and Kempny I will think "sure, they have just as good a chance as anyone to win".

Jun 15, 2007
It sure makes their roster look better though. Thinking about it, a little part of me wishes GMBM had tried to send them Orpik for him.... This team could probably handle it now.

I would've happily sent them Orpik and a pick.

Trade Burakovsky somewhere else for pure futures

Ovechkin-Kuznsetsov-Wilson
Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie
Hoffman-Eller-Connolly
AJF-Stephenson-DSP

That's 3 very good scoring lines and 1 very good checking line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad