League News: 2017-2018 General NHL Fan Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think everyone liked Walker to some degree. What’s not to like? Chippy undersized Aussie...it just that some of us were more chill in our reactions than the guys who had a fit for whatever reason. Disappointed absolutely, but I don’t think he’s the one that got away that we regret the next 5-10 years.
I didn't like or dislike Walker. I didn't think he should have been in the NHL though.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Glad the pens lost. The way the rest of the division is playing the Pens might not make the playoffs
The won't

Other teams (NJD and NYI )are playing over their capabilities. The pens are playing below their level and are not far away
When the other 2 Will calm down. Pens Will pass them

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The won't

Other teams (NJD and NYI )are playing over their capabilities. The pens are playing below their level and are not far away
I agree that the Isles and Devils are playing over their heads. Still a chance the Pens don't make the playoffs. Who knows, we might not make the playoffs.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
The won't

Islanders without a doubt have some issues and you don't need to get into underlying numbers to see that. They've scored the 2nd most goals in the league and have a +4 GD. When you're approaching Coyote territory of GA you're in real trouble. That goes for the Pens too. They have lost too much in the bottom 6 and defense and the issue is more glaring after each 4+ GA game which is at 16 of 35 games. They're next 15 games could be a glimpse to the future because 8 of those are division games. 6 of them being against teams that are +/-2 of them in the standings.

I think the Devils will be ok. Almost seem like another version of the Jackets. None of their numbers are extreme one way or the other. Just a solid and consistent team night after night.

Last edited:

NoLookPass

Jan 16, 2014
Columbus playing awful lately, the ebb and flows of the Metro make my head spin.

New Jersey is the only team that have kept a steady pace all year.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Columbus playing awful lately, the ebb and flows of the Metro make my head spin.

New Jersey is the only team that have kept a steady pace all year.
I wouldn't be concerned with Jackets unless this play goes on for a couple more games. All the other teams in the division minus the Devils have had some pretty awful stretches so far.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
all 8 teams can make it in the metro, one or two teams will slow down but 1 or 2 will also heat up. There's a very good chance the Pens miss if they don't heat up big time. Playing well won't be enough for them.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
What are the pens doing?
I'm assuming Leighton goes to WBS to provide as much depth as possible at the G position. Jarry and DeSmith were both in Pittsburgh recently and WBS had two ECHL calibre goalies, which probably led to Rutherford realizing they need another capable body in there just in case (Vegas being the worst case scenario).

This is Archibald's 4th professional season so it's likely he's a "tweener" at this point. I've seen him play a lot and he really doesn't do anything great that could translate at the next level. The goalie they gave up has spent the majority of his career in the ECHL so he's kind of a throw in.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Seems like some straight up GMGM dumpster diving!

Goalie trade doesn't seem significant. Probably goes the route X11 pointed out or he backs up Murray and lets the kids get as many games in WBS as they can.

Defense seems like a bit of a wildcard though. It gives them bodies on the backend to trade for a forward everyone seems to want. Still haven't figured out why they want a higher caliber forward. Doesn't help the river that is the backend and not sure what assets they have to pull in an impact player.

Dman is a big guy that doesn't play big and is more offensive minded from what I gathered. Pretty crappy development curve that had him only playing 40 or less games between the AHL and NHL last two years. I'm a little skeptical that is a defense you want to throw him in if they do get rid of Cole. Pens can't shelter him like they did with Shultz. That is really playing with fire if that swap happens.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
What are the pens doing?

They have three Cups in the last ten years if I was their fanbase I wouldn't give two shits what they do. Like seriously, I would wait at least five seasons before I got mad at anything the Caps did if they won a Cup. ;)

My personal opinion, they lost a ton of leadership in the room with Kunitz, Cullen and MAF leaving. It takes time to get over that and fill that void.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think the reason why the Penguins are playing poorly is that their lack of depth on defense is catching up to them and their young players like Guentzel, Sheary, Rust and Kuhnhackl are all having disappointing seasons. Crosby, Malkin and Letang aren't themselves either.

Basically, their entire team minus Kessel, Hornqvist and Murray decided to suck at the same time.

They're in trouble. They need to play at a 100 point pace just to get to 94 points and I'm not even sure that 94 points will be enough to grab the last wildcard spot this year.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I think the reason why the Penguins are playing poorly is that their lack of depth on defense is catching up to them and their young players like Guentzel, Sheary, Rust and Kuhnhackl are all having disappointing seasons. Crosby, Malkin and Letang aren't themselves either.

Basically, their entire team minus Kessel, Hornqvist and Murray decided to suck at the same time.

They're in trouble. They need to play at a 100 point pace just to get to 94 points and I'm not even sure that 94 points will be enough to grab the last wildcard spot this year.
The pace of other teams will drop too, so maybe 94 or less will be enough

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
The pace of other teams will drop too, so maybe 94 or less will be enough
Eh, only 2 teams in the East have gotten in with 94 or less since this new system was implemented. Both of those were the same year and both teams had 93.

Forget going Halak in May. Needs to go Halak in February, March and April to keep playing in April at this point.

They have three Cups in the last ten years if I was their fanbase I wouldn't give two ****s what they do. Like seriously, I would wait at least five seasons before I got mad at anything the Caps did if they won a Cup. ;)

My personal opinion, they lost a ton of leadership in the room with Kunitz, Cullen and MAF leaving. It takes time to get over that and fill that void.
Eh, leadership doesn't account for bottom 5 in the league GA. They were pushing their luck with a shit backend the past two year. Now they don't have multiple D that can wing the puck up the ice and TWO starting goalies that are playing out of their minds to cover up the dumper fire up.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I would love to see a better replay of the Jenner Cross Check because I think there is a chance that nothing made contact with the Pen's head. You would think the league might do something about a Dive that leads to a Major, GM and the team also scores on the Major.

Reactions: calicapsfan

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
This isn't targeted at any incident or team, but does it seem like the refs are backing off Slashing calls? I think I've been noticing some degree of allowable hand contact again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad