League News: 2017-2018 General NHL Fan Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
OMG. Look at That 3rd goal scored by you know who. On pit bos game

When you think refs can't surprise you. They Does it again

Looks damn close, puck was right on the line when that whistle blew. I'd like to see an overhead of that.

(also, enough of the Pens whining, it's childish)

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Looks damn close, puck was right on the line when that whistle blew. I'd like to see an overhead of that.

Just remember this post when Pens score a goal on Holtby when they slash the hell out of him.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I don't have any issue with the whistle, but are we really going to allow players to hack at the goalie's chest and belly to get it in? Seems dangerous to me.

Reactions: ovikovy817

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
I don't have any issue with the whistle, but are we really going to allow players to hack at the goalie's chest and belly to get it in? Seems dangerous to me.
It is still is a loose puck at that point. I initially didn't like it either. My reaction was more of surprise having not seen something like that before after thinking about it for a second. I had an issue with the slash across the arm/blocker that affected the goalie's positioning. Some delusional people are trying to claim incidental contact which is allowed under Goalie Interference, but pitch forking the goalie/puck isn't allowed most times. End of the day thankfully the Bruins won in regulation. Put it on an insanely long list of examples that the NHL/refs have no idea what goalie interference is and refuse to properly address it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It is still is a loose puck at that point. I initially didn't like it either. My reaction was more of surprise having not seen something like that before after thinking about it for a second. I had an issue with the slash across the arm/blocker that affected the goalie's positioning. Some delusional people are trying to claim incidental contact which is allowed under Goalie Interference, but pitch forking the goalie/puck isn't allowed most times. End of the day thankfully the Bruins won in regulation. Put it on an insanely long list of examples that the NHL/refs have no idea what goalie interference is and refuse to properly address it.

Even if the play is legal, they need to take a look at that and change the rules. In this case it was just one guy hacking at the puck on the goalie's chest, but imagine if the Penguins had all 3 forwards hacking at Khudobin's chest.

That's dangerous.

Reactions: maacoshark

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

Well whether or not the puck was in before the whistle doesn't matter. That was goaltender interference. Kudobin was trying make the save when the puck was in the air. Crosby was in the crease and and hit Kudobin while he was swinging at the puck. I've seen goals called back for a lot less

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Even if the play is legal, they need to take a look at that and change the rules. In this case it was just one guy hacking at the puck on the goalie's chest, but imagine if the Penguins had all 3 forwards hacking at Khudobin's chest.

That's dangerous.
Crosby was hacking at Kudobin before it landed on his chest while the puck was in the air. No clue how thatvwas not considered interference. I've goals disallowed for a lot less. Last night San Jose had a goal disallowed on a lame challenge. Colorado had a goal disallowed against the Caps on a questionable call.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
The league is not willing to make a rule change on a situation that is extremely rare. Looks how bad Slashing and Offside were last year and the dinosaurs finally did something. Add in it was the golden boy and Boston won in regulation.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
well they did injure matt murray, potentially long term
No kidding. Philly chokes every game. Loist another one they should have won. Voracek lost that game by taking a delay of game penalty late in the 3rd which carried into ot. I believe the penalty expired just before the Pens scored so technically it wasn't va pp goal. Voracek also cost them the last game against the Islanders. The guy is a skilled offensive player but he sure makes a lot of bonehead mistakes. On the plus side the Panthers and Canadians did us a favor.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
No kidding. Philly chokes every game. Loist another one they should have won. Voracek lost that game by taking a delay of game penalty late in the 3rd which carried into ot. I believe the penalty expired just before the Pens scored so technically it wasn't va pp goal. Voracek also cost them the last game against the Islanders. The guy is a skilled offensive player but he sure makes a lot of bonehead mistakes. On the plus side the Panthers and Canadians did us a favor.

The Flyers have no leadership and a terrible coaching staff. A lot of young players underperforming on that roster too. Voracek has a terrible contract. $8.25M for the next 7 years and he's 28 years old. 61 points last year, 55 the year before.

Oshie's contract is a bargain compared to Voracek's.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Flyers have lost 3 games in OT against metro teams
This is no good for Caps.

In those type of games metro vs metro, games should end in regulation, so the other teams don't take the loser point.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The Flyers have no leadership and a terrible coaching staff. A lot of young players underperforming on that roster too. Voracek has a terrible contract. $8.25M for the next 7 years and he's 28 years old. 61 points last year, 55 the year before.

Oshie's contract is a bargain compared to Voracek's.
Ya that is a bad contract. Even though his offensive numbers are up this year, he can be a liability at times.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Flyers and Rangers make our bad contracts look much better

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Flyers have lost 3 games in OT against metro teams
This is no good for Caps.

In those type of games metro vs metro, games should end in regulation, so the other teams don't take the loser point.
Im not too concerned about Philly getting the loser point right now. Its the 2 points they have been giving up to the teams we are competing with. I really hate those loser points and I hate the shootout too. I can live with the overtime but I think I liked 4 on 4 better than 3 on 3. The 3 on 3 teams just man up on defence. The team with the puck tries to maintain control of the puck quite often carrying the puck from the offensive zone to the defensive zone. I have seen quite a few overtimes where it was pretty much 5 mins of playing keep away with few scoring changes.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I just don't get how Philly is so bad. Voracek, Simmons, Giroux, Couturier, and Konecny seem to be a talented group of forwards to build around, and their defensive corps looks solid too. I guess it doesn't help that Laughton didn't pan out or that Hextall has hoarded all of his young assets rather than trying to make a move or two for players who could help now. Anyone seen anything from Nolan Patrick? I haven't watched much of the Flyers this year but I haven't heard his name at all except for when he was out injured.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Just remember this post when Pens score a goal on Holtby when they slash the hell out of him.

we've been screwed over by many teams, we've also been the benefactor of bad calls as well.

I wish the NHL would clarify the rules but the Pens don't have an unfair advantage over us.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
we've been screwed over by many teams, we've also been the benefactor of bad calls as well.

I wish the NHL would clarify the rules but the Pens don't have an unfair advantage over us.

Now we need someone to post that tweet with PIMs in the postseason since 2010. Unfortunately, I lost it.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
discipline is a thing, Caps could benefit from improving it.

the idea that PIMs should automatically balance themselves between teams is so damn silly.

I agree with that, but we're in the NHL, when your team had 3 PPs in the first 2 periods, you know that the opponent will receive gifts from the refs to even that thing.

But this, it's not ok,
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/116903101/

And this is not a discipline problem from the Caps. I can't remember 1 game in the postseason in the Ovi era, when the 50/50 calls were made heavily in Caps favor.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I agree with that, but we're in the NHL, when your team had 3 PPs in the first 2 periods, you know that the opponent will receive gifts from the refs to even that thing.

But this, it's not ok,
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/116903101/

And this is not a discipline problem from the Caps. I can't remember 1 game in the postseason in the Ovi era, when the 50/50 calls were made heavily in Caps favor.

Agreed refs sometimes even up calls sometimes and they tend to let things go when one team gets a bigger lead, but generally over time disciplined teams get called less and undisciplined teams get called more, a bad call here and there has very little impact.

And I don't understand your 2nd point, why would we be favored in a 50/50 game, shouldn't a 50/50 game be... 50/50... and what the hell is a 50/50 game? You call penalties as they are committed, refs shouldn't have a 50/50 bias in the back of there head, that's the bad reffing you are referring to.

The real issue is we are rarely the more disciplined team, hell it's a big part of the opponents game plan to not give us powerplays. Stay out the box and you've dismantled our teams biggest strength for the past 10 years.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Agreed refs sometimes even up calls sometimes and they tend to let things go when one team gets a bigger lead, but generally over time disciplined teams get called less and undisciplined teams get called more, a bad call here and there has very little impact.

And I don't understand your 2nd point, why would we be favored in a 50/50 game, shouldn't a 50/50 game be... 50/50... and what the hell is a 50/50 game? You call penalties as they are committed, refs shouldn't have a 50/50 bias in the back of there head, that's the bad reffing you are referring to.

The real issue is we are rarely the more disciplined team, hell it's a big part of the opponents game plan to not give us powerplays. Stay out the box and you've dismantled our teams biggest strength for the past 10 years.

I think this is inaccurate, at least as regards the past few seasons. IINM, under Trotz the Caps have been one of the least penalized regular season teams. Then in the post-season they magically become undisciplined compared with their opponents. (Excluding the last Philly series, of course.)

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium

I'm not talking about games but calls. Questionable calls. 50/50 calls
(I exclude of course the blatant trips or high sticking or a puck over the glass, ...)

Can't remember a game when the Caps received 2 or more of those questionable calls in their favor.

What I'm trying to say is that when the refs are not sure if it was a hooking or not, a holding or not , they won't whistle in our favor. unlike for other teams.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's pretty clear to me the refs have some conscious or unconscious tendency toward avoiding awarding PPs to good PP teams in the playoffs. No ref wants to be criticized for handing a win to a team via a penalty call, and the playoffs are when refs are expected to "let them play".

But why do the other teams seem to get so many calls? Well, other than Semin and maybe Mojo, nobody on the Caps was willing to go down and draw a penalty. Other teams in the league dive like there's money buried in the ice while our guys stupidly play right into it. Our opponents know they can get away with it and they know it's their best defense against our offense. Yet we never adjust.

This may sound stupid but IMO if the Caps want to reverse that awful trend they need to maintain a moderately successful but inconspicuous power play during the regular season and gain a reputation for never diving. Then in the playoffs start looking to draw calls like crazy while unleashing the PP hounds.

So crazy it just might work....

Reactions: RandyHolt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad