League News: 2017-2018 General NHL Fan Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Dahlin is certainly praying to have another team to win the lottery than the coyotes.

Being 19 and playing pro hockey in a gloriously sunny outdoorsie environment in a golfing Mecca, with little professional pressure to start? Doesn’t sound terrible. That feeling would probably set in around year 5.

Although....he is pretty pale....might spontaneously combust in the AZ sun lol...

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Dahlin is certainly praying to have another team to win the lottery than the coyotes.

Why?

They stink now but their prospect pool is absolutely ridiculous and their teams as of now is loaded with promising players already. If they can find a goalie somewhere they'll be a very good team in few years. Their defense (once Chychrun and Hjalmarsson come back) is easily better than the Capitals one, for example. Among forwards i think 7 of the ones in their top-9 are 23 or less.

They propably won't be that good next season either, but after that they certainly would be a more intriguing option than team like Montreal or Boston who are heading downhill quickly, and are likely to stay there for a while.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The big issue with Arizona and Florida, for instance, is you never know if ownership will spend when the time comes. Not that you can't win with a budget but it takes incredible management and fortunate timing. The other benefit with a Montreal or Boston in the short-term is they're more likely to be a playoff team. Longer-term...who knows. Does OEL stay with Arizona or opt for more stability elsewhere? Keller is a stud but they're going to need another legit goal-scorer or two...and a legit starter. Still a way to go there obviously.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Why?

They stink now but their prospect pool is absolutely ridiculous and their teams as of now is loaded with promising players already. If they can find a goalie somewhere they'll be a very good team in few years. Their defense (once Chychrun and Hjalmarsson come back) is easily better than the Capitals one, for example. Among forwards i think 7 of the ones in their top-9 are 23 or less.

They propably won't be that good next season either, but after that they certainly would be a more intriguing option than team like Montreal or Boston who are heading downhill quickly, and are likely to stay there for a while.

We've been saying that for years about Arizona and Carolina. No matter how many great prospects they have, they can't get out of the basement. I'll chalk that up to poor management and ownership.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Flyers lost 1 point at home against Flames. Calgary never had the lead.
Ottawa lost 1 point at home against Coyotes.
Devils lost in regulation in Winnipeg.
Florida is down by 1 after 2nd period in LA.

Our opponents give us hope

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
We've been saying that for years about Arizona and Carolina. No matter how many great prospects they have, they can't get out of the basement. I'll chalk that up to poor management and ownership.
The Oilers and Avs have gone through the same thing although each team did have one good season.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Flyers lost 1 point at home against Flames. Calgary never had the lead.
Ottawa lost 1 point at home against Coyotes.
Devils lost in regulation in Winnipeg.
Florida is down by 1 after 2nd period in LA.

Our opponents give us hope
Sens still continue over a 1/4 of their points from the loser point.

Leafs are last year's Pens. Offense covering up a brutal backend. One difference is the Leafs don't have two #1 goalies bailing them out. Being in the Atlantic is helping both teams out though. It is Tampa and who else matters.

Metro has been pretty average this year. Devils are doing well but they aren't world beaters. Wouldn't surprise me if they go on a bit of a skid. Columbus is solid but nothing special. Pens extra games advantage is going away and they continue to be a defensive joke. League can't even help them get past 2nd most goals given up and bottom 3 goal differential. Bad part is every team below them are erratic.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

They just recently changed their front office. I think Chayka has done a pretty good job at rebuilding the team through youth.

He's won pretty much every trade he's made since appointed. Including the recent trade to acquire Jason Demers. The Hjalmarsson -trade was a robbery for them. Jury is still out on that Stepan/Raanta deal because i don't know how Raanta will do as an starter, but Stepan is a really good player. Managed to get rid of that brutal Mike Smith -contract. Last years Martin Hanzal -trade at the deadline was a very good one for them aswell.

Not to even mention his drafting. Biggest winner in the 2016 draft for sure, drafting both Clayton Keller and Jakob Chychrun in the first-round. Cam Dineen in the 3rd round. This year he traded their 7th overall pick in that Stepan -trade but picked Pierre-Olivier Joseph in the 1st round.

He's certainly building his team through defense (which already is ridiculous when Hjalmarsson comes back), as 10 of his 14 draft picks have been D's.

Ownership is a huge question mark though.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The Avs' 2014 season was a fluke and the Oilers drafted a generational talent. Missing the playoffs with McDavid and Draisaitl on your team should be considered a failure.
The Oilers had a lot of high drafts picks in the past few seasons. I'm sure they had 3 first overall picks. And this team had had little success until they made the playoffs last season but they aren't looking like a playoff team this year either. Its possible last year was a fluke year for them.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Letting go of Alzner was the best decision GMBM made over the summer.
Well we didn't make many good decisions but not resigning Alzner was probably the one good decision. Alzner has been awful in Montreal. The Canadians would have been better off keeping Markov or Emelin.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I find it a little funny when journalists and experts and analysts say that losing Alzner is a big reason the Caps were struggling on defense. Alzner is a less physical and less mobile version of Brooks Orpik at this point.
On another forum I visit all the Caps fans there thought we should have gotten rid of Carlson so we could resign Alzner. I'm very surprised how much Carlson is disliked by Caps fans.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Well we didn't make many good decisions but not resigning Alzner was probably the one good decision. Alzner has been awful in Montreal. The Canadians would have been better off keeping Markov or Emelin.
Couldn't be that the organization is just a disaster. Alzner was not a fit for what the Habs needed. It was just another doubling down on the exact opposite of what the team needs by an idiot GM. That team goes no where until the front office is cleaned out.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
On another forum I visit all the Caps fans there thought we should have gotten rid of Carlson so we could resign Alzner. I'm very surprised how much Carlson is disliked by Caps fans.

I’d consider not returning to that forum, ever again. Then again, maybe return there and never return here again! Lol...;)

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If I’m GMBM I’m on the phone with Chiarelli about Klefbom right now. I could see Edmonton making a panic move like that.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
division rivals
Pittsburgh and Carolina = 0 pts
Devils, Flyers = 1 pt
Blue Jackets, Islanders and Rangers = 2 pts

Isles and Rangers were playing another team from the division.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
OMG. Look at That 3rd goal scored by you know who. On pit bos game

When you think refs can't surprise you. They Does it again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad