2017-2018 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I was very vocal here about Evans not needing to go back to ND for his senior year, so I'm not surprised about his dominant start. I expect an easy 50+ points season from him.

He still needs to get stronger and a year as a go to guy offensively with Bjork gone isn't a terrible thing.

Hoping he can develop into a second line center.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The strength thing was never enough of an incentive for keeping him in college, to me at least. But I'll admit the whole Kristo experience has made me a bit biased. I have a big fear of wasting a year of development by leaving a guy at a level he's already dominating.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I do not think Evans is that far away. He might be ready next year to step in.

Maybe. I guess it would depend on training camp. Plekanec will be gone so he wouldn’t have much competition. But I would venture to say he’ll play a year in the AHL. He’s not used to 70+ game seasons.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The game is currently tied 4-4.

St. Cloud win it in OT. The other Poehling brothers unite for the GWG. Ryan with 1 goal.

Meanwhile, Notre Dame lost to Denver 4-2. Evans with no points.

Last edited:
Reactions: bryan1966

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
CHL Update:

OHL:
- Michael Pezzetta with 1 assist in a 6-3 loss to the Peterborough Petes.
- Will Bitten with 1 goal in a 4-3 OT victory over Kingston.

WHL:
- It's Walford vs. Tyszka as Victoria faces Seattle. Walford with 1 assist so far and Tyszka with nothing. It is 2-1 for Victoria in the 1st period.
- Cale Fleury with no points yet in Kootenay's game against Everett. Silvertips ahead 3-2 in the 3rd period.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Habs prospects says Evans has two assists.

They are correct. The NCAA website was late to update. They didn't have that info up in the game summary page when I wrote it. I was going by the Notre Dame twitter page that only mentioned the players who scored, but didn't who assisted.

Forgotten in all of this, as Poehling and Evans understandably get most of the attention in the NCAA, Koberstein plays for Alaska and he had an assist last night in the game against Poehling and St. Cloud.

Cayden Primeau and Northeastern finished in a 3-3 tie against Rochester. Primeau had a .888 SV%. He let in 3 goals in 27 shots.

Meanwhile, Kootenay end up winning 5-3. Cale Fleury didn't have any points, but was a +4. And Victoria won 6-1 against Seattle. Walford ended with 1 assist and Tyszka with 0.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
just got done watching Poehling's game from last night. He actually scored 2 goals but one was disallowed in kind of a bs call, as he redirected it with his skate but it wasn't a kicking motion which is the rule in the NCAA as far as I know. His goal though was huge, the game was 1-1 much of the night and you don't want to lose at home to Alaska. He was on the PP and PK again, played a lot and had a strong game as he had a few chances in fact he just missed scoring a few seconds before he scored his 1st of the season. He seemed really fired up after the disallowed goal, he went right to the ref to plead his case and after that he seemed to have an extra spring in his step.

Koberstein was ok, he had a few big hits in the series, was on the PP and PK, looks like he needs to get a little quicker.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
One of the major difference I'm seeing from his freshman season is how confident he's gotten at carrying the puck. He still has a distribution fist mindset but he's a lot more willing to hang on to the puck now if he sees an opening. This makes him a much more dangerous player offensively.

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
Matt Bradley? Are his rights still owned by habs or is he a free agent? I know habs did not offer contract.

He had a good year last year and seems to be dominating as over ager this year, why is he not even getting a look? What is wrong with his game?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Matt Bradley? Are his rights still owned by habs or is he a free agent? I know habs did not offer contract.

He had a good year last year and seems to be dominating as over ager this year, why is he not even getting a look? What is wrong with his game?
The Habs do not hold his rights anymore. I wanted him to get an ELC but there's a limited amount of contracts and the brass just didn't feel like his game progressed enough. Regina has been an offensive powerhouse the last couple years so I'm not surprised he's putting up a ton of points.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
- Will Bitten with 1 assist in a Hamilton 4-3 victory over North Bay.
- Michael Pezzetta with 1 assist in a Sudbury 5-2 loss to Oshawa.

- Hayden Hawkey and Providence lost 4-3 in OT to Boston College. Hawkey had a .840SV% (21 saves in 25 shots).

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010

The game is currently tied 4-4.

St. Cloud win it in OT. The other Poehling brothers unite for the GWG. Ryan with 1 goal.

Meanwhile, Notre Dame lost to Denver 4-2. Evans with no points.

That celly is amazing.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Watched Hawkey's game today, too bad as he was doing well with Providence up 3-0 almost half way through the game. Then BC woke up and rattled off 4 goals to win 4-3 in OT. The first goal he had no chance on, was a rebound to a wide open player. The next goal he needs to stop, the 3rd goal I can't fault him on as it was a defensive breakdown, the BC player got in behind the defense and was all alone when the puck was passed to him he just deflected up high. Not a lot could be done there.

The 4th goal in OT I know he got bumped hard just after it went in, can't really say if he should of had it or not. BC did get back to back PP's with less then 5 minutes to go in the 3rd when it was 3-3 and he made some big saves but still a tough one as it would have been a big win over a powerhouse program in the NCAA.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Yeah, especially offensively. Losing most of last year's veteran core really hurt them big time. They look completely lost at times, unless it's against weaker CHL opposition.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Ref just robbed Vejdemo on a goal. Maybe it's a homer opinion but I don't think it was goalie interference

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Now first of all I’m far from an expert so take my words with a pinch of salt please. :D

Last year he played in a team that struggled. This time last year I think they were last or atleast close to last. Currently they sits in third. So playing in a team that is doing well obviously helps.

He has always had a good combination of size, speed and skill. What I have yet to see from him is having good chemistry with his linemates, hopefully this can be the start of it. It has always been doing stuff a little bit too much on his own when he has played previously(questionble hockey IQ maybe?). First season he was playing with Markus Ljungh and Robin Alvarez who both had great seasons and he was riding on their success a bit. Last year was a struggle. Can’t remember which guys he played with but I don’t think it was players who put up lots of points. This year he’s been centering the second line since Markus Ljungh got injured, currently with Niclas Bergfors and Gustav Possler who are more than decent SHL players which should give him a better chance of finding that chemistry.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He still needs to get stronger and a year as a go to guy offensively with Bjork gone isn't a terrible thing.

Hoping he can develop into a second line center.

I know you weren't or still aren't too high on Poehling but do you really think Evans can be better? Not being snarky, genuinely asking. I haven't seen a ton of Evans but I just don't think he has the juice to his game that Poehling does. Surely you're being slowly swayed by some of these vids. He looks a lot more skilled than what many were saying.

The kid got some skills...

Very impressed. I think he's my favourite Hab prospect as of now. I think he's a steal where we got him.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Just looked at our prospects production and saw that Evans is putting up a ton of points. I've never seen him play. Anyone watch him regularly? Does his production seem sustainable or has he been getting the bounces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad