Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
People are floating the idea, but what sort of trade is even being speculated? I haven't spent any time reading into this rumor at all.

None yet :laugh: All we have are some rumblings that Rutherford may toy with the idea.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
We weren't coming off back to back cups with James Neal, he wasn't reliable in the post season and was lukewarm at best in terms of fan endearment.

Anything could happen, and I agree about the Pens and the media. I just don't see anyone in the media actually using that narrative. Frankly, they're going to have to do a lot better than "he gets under the coaches skin". Kessel is probably the second most popular Penguin right now and he's backed it up with his performance.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wouldn't rock the boat, but I'm cool with trading anyone not named Sid or Geno if it improves the team.

Apparently some people have a far more expansive list than you (or I) would.

EDIT: I'd add Murray.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't have a take regarding narratives the media is pushing-- most of our media members are chumps, but the Neal trade was far more obvious/realistic. Trading Kessel doesn't seem like a logical move unless a team is actively trying to trade for him and is willing to pay a premium for him.

People are floating the idea, but what sort of trade is even being speculated? I haven't spent any time reading into this rumor at all.

And lapdogs for the Pens, yet they're pushing this narrative.

Eh, I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Apparently Isles are talking to Calgary. Wonder if Snow is saying **** you to Sakic and going after Bennett.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Who's pushing this idea? I really haven't read much about it other than what I've skimmed on HF over the last few days.

Not opposed to trading Kessel necessarily, I just don't see anyone giving us something that makes us better in the short term-- which is what we should be building the team towards.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Until it doesn't work.

They key is to figure out when the music is going to stop, not figure it out after it has stopped. Ray Shero never did (or refused to). I'm not sure JR is inclined to repeat that mistake given how well set up this team is in so many respects.

Yeah until it doesn't work, that's how it works. The point is to not do nothing when it stops working. That's the smart way to run a team, not making changes for some unforeseeable future scenario.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah until it doesn't work, that's how it works. The point is to not do nothing when it stops working. That's the smart way to run a team, not making changes for some unforeseeable future scenario.

No, the point is to be proactive rather than reactive, especially since you're past the half way point on Sid's and Geno's careers.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016

Honestly if that's true, were they really going to move Malkin the year they got Kessel? Because that's literally all I heard. So either they are **** disturbers or they are lapdogs for the Pens org and the Pens really wanted to move Malkin.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
No, the point is to be proactive rather than reactive, especially since you're past the half way point on Sid's and Geno's careers.

That would make sense if they lost, they won. The objective is to keep winning. Moving him isn't proactive, it's stupid. And you're right, you are half way through their careers, so how would moving one of the key pieces to them going 2 for 2 make any sense? Again, it doesn't, at least not yet. You have to be proactive against something, but there is nothing to nip in the bud by moving him now unless you really think he's going to fall off a cliff at 30. Which again, is why you have to take a wait and see approach, or at least you should. But all of this is a moot point anyway because I can't see a realistic trading partner where you would get as much value for now back that would put you, over over the top I guess (I don't know whats more over-the-top than winning the Cup but apparently there's winning the Super Stanley Cup or something?)

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lavoie saying that the Penguins are trying to trade for Radulov's rights...

If they bring him in, it's Hornqvist or Kessel out, right? I don't know where he fits if Hornqvist isn't on Crosby's RW.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I do not want Radulov short of a 1 year deal. I just don't. I don't want his contract affecting us down the road.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I just.. where do you fit him in? We already are STACKED with wingers. I was making a lineup and I friggen forgot Horny somehow... and I purposely left out Sprong too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I just.. where do you fit him in? We already are STACKED with wingers. I was making a lineup and I friggen forgot Horny somehow... and I purposely left out Sprong too.

If Hornqvist is playing with Sid, I think it's really easy:

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Radulov
Rust-3C-Kessel

You just need to trade Sheary for a defensemen.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Was thinking about this on the drive to work tonight. I wonder what Kovy is looking for. Mid round pick to the Devils for him and he would look great with Geno. Would rather have him than what Radulov is asking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia