2017-18 Flyers roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
vecchione was invisible in his last game. hadn't seen him play before that but he didn't look like anything special at all. Foo looked much more dangerous and was much more noticeable in the game. still only one game but if Hexy signs him I wouldn't be upset unless he guarantees him nhl time which seems to be against his MO. he did not look like a player who deserves to play in the nhl without earning a spot. if we lose him for that reason then so be it. I really hope Hextall finds a way to sign Madsen though, i think he has more upside than Lyon and possibly even Stolarz.

If Vecchione isn't NHL ready, he isn't worth signing. He is 24 years old. A year from now the Flyers will have a lot more forward prospects available to the club that it doesn't make sense to sign someone that old if he needs any AHL time.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd bring VdV back on a two way (generous with the AHL money) contract with the idea that he's going to play in LHV.

This would allow him to act as a coach on the ice with the young forwards (since he knows the scheme) and be the first callup in case of injury (so you don't have to rush the kids if Hextall feels they're not ready).

If VdV makes the team next year, it's either a sign of the Apocalypse or it means that a bunch of guys went belly up, Read, Laughton, Leier, Raffl and Weise.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd bring VdV back on a two way (generous with the AHL money) contract with the idea that he's going to play in LHV.

This would allow him to act as a coach on the ice with the young forwards (since he knows the scheme) and be the first callup in case of injury (so you don't have to rush the kids if Hextall feels they're not ready).

If VdV makes the team next year, it's either a sign of the Apocalypse or it means that a bunch of guys went belly up, Read, Laughton, Leier, Raffl and Weise.

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I would sign Vdv to the "never return" voyage to Mars. That would save humanity in two ways.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Was it discussed on here that supposedly Hextall has informed ticket reps to push that expiring contracts will most likely not return.

I saw a sales rep tweet it to some of the bloggers who retweeted. Like basically it's a sales pitch that VDV/MDZ/Schultz won't be back.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It seems like common sense when you look at the 14 forwards who are under contract, or are waiver-eligible RFAs. Plus Lindlbom and Weal.

Giroux ~ 8.275
Voracek ~ 8.25
Schenn ~ 5.125
Filppula ~ 5
Couturier ~ 4.33
Simmonds ~ 3.975
Read ~ 3.625
Raffl ~ 2.35
Weise ~ 2.35
Bellemare ~ 1.45
Lindblom ~ 0.925
Konecny ~ 0.894
Weal ~ UFA
Cousins ~ RFA
Leier ~ RFA
Laughton ~ RFA

Then there are five dmen:

MacDonald ~ 5
Gudas - 3.35
Manning - 0.975
Provorov - 0.894
Ghost ~ RFA

Plus Morin, Hagg and Sanheim as defensive prospects with plenty of AHL experience.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don't want Vandevelde anywhere near this team. They won't be able to resist the urge to play him, and they have to move on from these fringe vets.

I'm also quite concerned that Hextall has no intention of re-signing Weal, whom I believe has shown to be better than Read, Cousins, Laughton, and Leier.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't want Vandevelde anywhere near this team. They won't be able to resist the urge to play him, and they have to move on from these fringe vets.

I'm also quite concerned that Hextall has no intention of re-signing Weal, whom I believe has shown to be better than Read, Cousins, Laughton, and Leier.

He is our 2nd leading ES scorer since coming up.

Depending on how these final games play out, he has earned a 1 year extension by my estimation. I don't, however, want his playing time to come at the expense of Konecny's like it is now. TK is a better player and he is not going to develop playing 10 min or less like he has the last few games under our dumbass coach.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
He is our 2nd leading ES scorer since coming up.

Depending on how these final games play out, he has earned a 1 year extension by my estimation. I don't, however, want his playing time to come at the expense of Konecny's like it is now. TK is a better player and he is not going to develop playing 10 min or less like he has the last few games under our dumbass coach.

I agree -- which is why I said I was concerned that Hextall doesn't intend to re-sign him. He's better than Read, Cousins, Laughton, and Leier. But they are all under contract or RFAs, and Weal is a UFA.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Well we really have no proof of that though.

I said before that I felt Weal would not be re-signed. If he played poorly, why bother. If he played well, which he has, other teams will be interested in him as a UFA so why re-sign now with Philly.

And based on how he is playing, I do think it's Weal...and his agent....who are deciding him not to re-sign, not Hextall. He has little to lose by waiting to see what other teams are offering him in the summer. After all, look at teams wanting the UFA college kids. He really is no different this summer except he has shown he can play in the NHL in his short stint.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Was it discussed on here that supposedly Hextall has informed ticket reps to push that expiring contracts will most likely not return.

I saw a sales rep tweet it to some of the bloggers who retweeted. Like basically it's a sales pitch that VDV/MDZ/Schultz won't be back.

Was that before or after he resigned Bellemare?

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware

Yeah, how about no

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I said before that I felt Weal would not be re-signed. If he played poorly, why bother. If he played well, which he has, other teams will be interested in him as a UFA so why re-sign now with Philly.

And based on how he is playing, I do think it's Weal...and his agent....who are deciding him not to re-sign, not Hextall. He has little to lose by waiting to see what other teams are offering him in the summer. After all, look at teams wanting the UFA college kids. He really is no different this summer except he has shown he can play in the NHL in his short stint.

Las Vegas can talk to him prior to the expansion draft & try to work out a deal. So that could be something to look at. They can likely overpay on a short term contract there & offer a secure spot in the lineup.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I agree -- which is why I said I was concerned that Hextall doesn't intend to re-sign him. He's better than Read, Cousins, Laughton, and Leier. But they are all under contract or RFAs, and Weal is a UFA.

I was agreeing with you..lol

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We really don't know what Hextall's goals are at this point.

He may want Konency's minutes limited given his size and age, why get him injured down the stretch this year.

He may want to see as much of Weal as he can before making a decision about offering a contract/protecting him from the ED.

He may want to see how Weise works out with Couts & Schenn and Read with G & V in deciding how to use the last ED slot.

He may want to showcase MDZ the last few games for LV to sign him, or to resign him.

As far as VdV going to LHV next year, I'm amused at people's reactions, he's exactly what you want on your minor league team, a marginal vet who's disciplined but limited talentwise, rather than an undisciplined vet like Brennan.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC

Well we don't know if Vegas wants him but I would be surprised if he signs with us. I would also let Cousins walk. I think either Weise Read or Raffl will be picked by LV. By not resigning VDV/mdz we do have room for an upgraded bottom six F and a few new D. Not sure that really makes us all that much better in the short term.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware

He may want Konency's minutes limited given his size and age, why get him injured down the stretch this year.

He may want to see as much of Weal as he can before making a decision about offering a contract/protecting him from the ED.

He may want to see how Weise works out with Couts & Schenn and Read with G & V in deciding how to use the last ED slot.

He may want to showcase MDZ the last few games for LV to sign him, or to resign him.

As far as VdV going to LHV next year, I'm amused at people's reactions, he's exactly what you want on your minor league team, a marginal vet who's disciplined but limited talentwise, rather than an undisciplined vet like Brennan.

Hes exactly who we want in the echl

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Blah blah blah blah Coach only uses bad players because the roster is bad blah blah blah

Blah blah blah blah let's bring back those bad players so the coach still has excuses blah blah blah

And it's also amazing that you're still using the "Vandevelde knows the scheme" excuse too.... every player on the team knows the scheme... you think Vandevelde is some genius that understands what the others don't? Give it a break and either admit you're wrong or at the very least stop being wrong.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So nobody sees this pattern here huh?

Weal comes up, looks decent, scores at an unsustainable rate, and now some want him back... even though he has no real spot in the roster and there'll be even less space next year.

Sounds exactly like quite a few players over the last chunk of years. White, Cousins, Vandevelde, etc.

They all did the same thing.
New guy comes in, gets that new team unsustainable scoring luck (or whatever it is), fresh new face, people say to keep them around, then they never match that scoring rate (obviously) and end up as a waste of space. It happens so often and Weal is very likely no different. I think many are just so tired of this team and season that anyone new is refreshing, even if they're mediocre and getting lucky.

The top 9 next year is very likely going to be made up of
1 Giroux
2 Voracek
3 Simmonds
4 Couturier
5 Schenn
6 Filppula
7 Konecny
8 Lindblom
9 Weise (if he isn't taken in the ED I assume they'll give him every chance to bounce back since theyre semi-committed to him)

So no room for Weal and I doubt he'll be on the 4th line (although if he replaces trash like Vandevelde then fine).

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If Hextall doesn't bring Vandevelde back hopefully all the "Hakstol and Hextall are 100% on the same page and agree 100% of the time about everything" talk will die. Especially from a certain someone who likes making ridiculous excuses for everything.

We sure as **** know Hakstol would have him back if he had his way, but so far Hextall hasn't signed him so that's a good sign.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Bolded 1: That's a fair point and not too outlandish.

Bolded 2: We already have a better version of VandeVelde on LHV, the Captain Colin McDonald; and he is under contract for next season as well. VandeVelde has not purpose within this organization. Except this. I beg of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad