2017-18 Flyers roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I'd bring VdV back on a two way (generous with the AHL money) contract with the idea that he's going to play in LHV.

This would allow him to act as a coach on the ice with the young forwards (since he knows the scheme) and be the first callup in case of injury (so you don't have to rush the kids if Hextall feels they're not ready).

If VdV makes the team next year, it's either a sign of the Apocalypse or it means that a bunch of guys went belly up, Read, Laughton, Leier, Raffl and Weise.

You have bad ideas

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Well we really have no proof of that though.

I said before that I felt Weal would not be re-signed. If he played poorly, why bother. If he played well, which he has, other teams will be interested in him as a UFA so why re-sign now with Philly.

And based on how he is playing, I do think it's Weal...and his agent....who are deciding him not to re-sign, not Hextall. He has little to lose by waiting to see what other teams are offering him in the summer. After all, look at teams wanting the UFA college kids. He really is no different this summer except he has shown he can play in the NHL in his short stint.

That's actually a really good point -- if I were Weal's agent, there is no way I would sign anywhere before July 1 when I can field all offers and apply max leverage for max money.

caseoftastykakes

Sep 26, 2015
Weal could have some loyalty to Hextall for giving him a real shot at NHL playing time. Something he struggled to get in LA. Never know but could be had at a fair price for depth.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Weal could have some loyalty to Hextall for giving him a real shot at NHL playing time. Something he struggled to get in LA. Never know but could be had at a fair price for depth.

That's my thought process.

He hadn't found his place in LA, clearly. Coming here, we gave him a shot and he fits in the lineup. He may be jeopardizing whatever magic he found here by leaving, so why not stay if the money is similar?

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Does anyone think that TKs move to 4th line has anything to do with trying to get him back to RW (IIRC that is his preferred spot) and as far as fit goes i dont really know, a lot can be done this year like moving all wings down.

Read - G - TK - not the worst, not good on the boards
Weal - Filp - Jake
Schenn - Coots - Simmer
VDV - PEB - Weise

Read - G - Jake
Weal - Filp - TK - I'd be terrified for their safety
Schenn - Coots - Simmer
VDV - PEB - Weise

Read - G - Jake
Weal - Filp - Simmer
Schenn - Coots - TK - this has been our best line, building chemistry for next year so why break it up, Weise is finally putting points up with Schenn and Coots
VDV - PEB - Weise

2017 with players mostly in their correct spots?
Raffl - G - Jake
Lindbolm - Filp - TK
Schenn - Coots - Weise
Leier - Laughton - PEB
Cousins

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think it has more to do with them wanting to get a good look at Weal, and putting a two-way winger with G and Jake. The obvious move is putting Konecny back with Couturier, but if you want to make Weise seem vaguely attractive to Vegas he can't go back on the 4th line. They're not going to make the playoffs so it really doesn't bother me that much. Konecny's already had a great 19 year old season. A few games on the 4th line isn't changing that or hurting his development.

I don't know if TK is better on the right or left, but I'd assume the right side is easier to play.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
BSH Radio suggested that Hakstol is trying to get reps for TK in a defensive role at the end of the year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Like most junior scorers, Konency is more advanced offensively than defensively. Having him focus on defense to finish the season (and motivate him in his offseason training to get stronger) isn't the worst thing in the world.

It's easy to forget that Konency is an inexperienced, undersized 20 year old forward playing his first NHL season, who needs both to be sheltered (it's a long season for a smaller player) and taught. He's probably 3-4 years away from his peak (needs to add 10-15 lbs naturally as he physically matures) and there's no reason to rush his development.

Provorov is a freak, most players are going to take longer to mature mentally and physically.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Its very hard to predict what will happen with the opening night roster. But heres what im thinking.

I think this team has a lot of good young talent knocking at the door. But only certain players will make it due to not being able to fit everyone is a certain role.

My LEGIT/ non-Krazy starting line up for next year would look like this:

Moved Out through expansion/UFA/Trade: M.Read/N.Cousins/VDV

Most people would think its crazy to have Lindblom on the first line, but i think his play fits best between those 2 players, and would excel the best there. It also gives us 4 solid lines. Signing Vecchione wont happen as i dont see much room for him. Laughton has looked great in the AHL and i cant see a 1st Rd pick like himself play in the minors another year.

I would look to trade for Klein of the rangers to pair with Provorov. He's a UFA in 2018, and Rangers could want a pick in return for him.

[Starting Line-Up]

Line 1 : Linblom -- Giroux -- Voracek

Line 2 : Weal -- Fillpula -- Simmonds

Line 3: Schenn -- Couturier -- Konecny

Line 4: Raffl -- Laughton -- Weise

[Spares]

Leier
Bellemare

Defence:

Line 1: Provorov -- Klein

Line 2: Sanheim -- Gostisbehere

Line 3: Manning -- Gudas

[Spares] Hagg/Morin/Myers

[Goalies]

1A : Mason
2 : Lyon

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
This will never happen, but this is what I'd like to see
Neuvirth claimed by Vegas.

Lindblom-Giroux-Simmonds
Konecny-Filpulla-Voracek
Schenn-Couturier-Weal
Raffl-Cousins-Read
Bellemare, Weise

Provorov-Gudas
Morin-Ghost
Sanheim-Myers
Manning

Mason
Stolarz

It'll look something more like this probably:

Weal-Giroux-Simmonds
Konecny-Filpulla-Voracek
Schenn-Couturier-Read
Raffl-Bellemare-Weise
Luby, Cousins

Provorov-MacDonald
Morin-Gudas
Manning-Ghost
Some scrub we sign

Neuvirth
Stolarz

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Its very hard to predict what will happen with the opening night roster. But heres what im thinking.

I think this team has a lot of good young talent knocking at the door. But only certain players will make it due to not being able to fit everyone is a certain role.

Moved Out through expansion/UFA/Trade: M.Read/N.Cousins/VDV

Most people would think its crazy to have Lindblom on the first line, but i think his play fits best between those 2 players, and would excel the best there. It also gives us 4 solid lines. Signing Vecchione wont happen as i dont see much room for him. Laughton has looked great in the AHL and i cant see a 1st Rd pick like himself play in the minors another year.

I would look to trade for Klein of the rangers to pair with Provorov. He's a UFA in 2018, and Rangers could want a pick in return for him.

[Starting Line-Up]

Line 1 : Linblom -- Giroux -- Voracek

Line 2 : Weal -- Fillpula -- Simmonds

Line 3: Schenn -- Couturier -- Konecny

Line 4: Raffl -- Laughton -- Weise

[Spares]

Leier
Bellemare

Defence:

Line 1: Provorov -- Klein

Line 2: Sanheim -- Gostisbehere

Line 3: Manning -- Gudas

[Spares] Hagg/Morin/Myers

[Goalies]

1A : Mason
2 : Lyon

Bolded are my issues, we just signed Nuevy (im assuming you think he gets claimed), so is read/cousins just getting traded for picks?

Belly was just given the A, as much as people hate it he is playing

The rangers a re not going to trade someone to us. as you can tell, the whole rivalry thing doesnt work as trade partners

Hagg/Morin/Myers will NOT be spares, AHL or NHL regular ice time

Mason, see above with Nuevy situation

Stolarz i will imagine gets the call before Lyon

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Does anyone think that TKs move to 4th line has anything to do with trying to get him back to RW (IIRC that is his preferred spot) and as far as fit goes i dont really know, a lot can be done this year like moving all wings down.

Read - G - TK - not the worst, not good on the boards
Weal - Filp - Jake
Schenn - Coots - Simmer
VDV - PEB - Weise

Read - G - Jake
Weal - Filp - TK - I'd be terrified for their safety
Schenn - Coots - Simmer
VDV - PEB - Weise

Read - G - Jake
Weal - Filp - Simmer
Schenn - Coots - TK - this has been our best line, building chemistry for next year so why break it up, Weise is finally putting points up with Schenn and Coots
VDV - PEB - Weise

2017 with players mostly in their correct spots?
Raffl - G - Jake
Lindbolm - Filp - TK
Schenn - Coots - Weise
Leier - Laughton - PEB
Cousins

That 2017 lineup looks good with so many forwards I still think they bring in a top 4 Dman with their extra cap space thru trade and hopefully push macdonald out of the lineup I can live with manning as the 7 for another year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

That's almost sane, but forget Hextall trading a draft pick for a one year rental.
I think Weal gets signed by LV, if not, then we'll lose Cousins or Laughton. I don't think they'll take Read, Raffl or Weise due to age. If we're lucky, they sign MDZ.

Line 1 : Lindblom -- Giroux -- Voracek
Line 2 : Konecny -- Filppula -- Simmonds
Line 3: Weise -- Couturier -- Schenn
Line 4: Raffl -- Laughton -- PEB

[Spares]
Leier
Cousins

Defence:

Line 1: Provorov -- Gostisbehere
Line 3: MacDonald -- Gudas
Line 2: Morin -- Sanheim

[Spares] Hagg/Manning
Myers is the wildcard in training camp
Hagg will get a shot at beating out MacDonald in camp
Morin - Sanheim will stay together and get sheltered minutes to start the season
If Myers makes the team, he'll be paired with Provorov with Ghost moving to LHD with Gudas.

[Goalies]

1A : Neuvirth
2 : Lyon/Stolarz (contest all season)

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Starting Day

TK-Giroux-Simmer
Weal-Flippula-Voracek
Linblom-Couts-Schenn
Raffl-Laughton-PEB
Weise
Leier

Provy-AMac
Hagg-Gudas
Morin-Ghost
Manning

Neuvy
Stolie

Xmas
Linblom-Giroux-Voracek
TK-Flippula-Simmer
Weal-Couts-Schenn
Raffl-Laughton-PEB

Provy-Hagg
Sanhiem-Ghost
Morin-Gudas
AMac

Stolie
Neuvy

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I don't know if I can physically sit and watch another year of amac getting top minutes over other defenseman on the team especially since we ll be getting rid of a lot of garbage. either he's on the bottom pair or 7th dman preferably. but since Hak is likely back it won't surprise me at all when amac is on the top line with provorov instead of giving provorov even an average dman to play with. Hak logic will be since provy thrived this year with AMac, we can't break them up... I wish I was kidding.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I don't know if I can physically sit and watch another year of amac getting top minutes over other defenseman on the team especially since we ll be getting rid of a lot of garbage. either he's on the bottom pair or 7th dman preferably. but since Hak is likely back it won't surprise me at all when amac is on the top line with provorov instead of giving provorov even an average dman to play with. Hak logic will be since provy thrived this year with AMac, we can't break them up... I wish I was kidding.

At some point I have to hope Hextall steps in and muscles this decision, whether that's buyout, trade, waive, ahl. He has to take control.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Hak won't be here that long. I expect he's got less than 50 games left in his tenure as Flyers head coach.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
MacDonald got those minutes this year because there was literally no one else, MDZ is a LW and a head case, and the others were just as bad as MacDonald or worse.

Ghost was a bad fit because he is best on the PP and in "safe" situations, I saw three bad turnovers the last two games and that was him playing better, he's still has a long way to go on the defensive side of hockey.

If MacDonald gets top four minutes to start next season it will because Hakstol and Hextall don't want Morin-Sanheim to play tough minutes to start their NHL career, same with Hagg. As the season progresses, if the young defensemen improve, their minutes will gradually rise, and MacDonald/Manning will get pushed off the ice.

Right now it's not just about winning games, it's putting young players in low pressure situations starting their career so they have success and build confidence, the minutes in October could be very different from the minutes in February. The most important thing they need to do the next two seasons is work a bunch of young players into the lineup and into larger roles as they develop.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
At some point I have to hope Hextall steps in and muscles this decision, whether that's buyout, trade, waive, ahl. He has to take control.

Why are you still in the fantasy land where Hextall disagrees with MacDonald's usage by Hakstol?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Do people think Hextall never talks to Hakstol?

It is one thing to micromanage, it is quite another to talk on a regular basis and discuss the logic behind personnel decisions. It's hard to imagine that Hextall doesn't have a plan on when and how he wants his prospects to be used, and that Hakstol isn't in agreement.

When a GM and Coach have serious differences, it usually comes out in the media pretty quickly. Haven't seen a hint from either one that they're not on the same page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad