Prospect Info: 2017-18 Flyers Prospects - Top 30 SKATERS, #9

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don't know what player people have been following for the last four years to be this confident in Hagg's NHL upside.

Right now, Hagg is a lot like Leier for me. Could he stick as a bottom-of-the-lineup guy? Yeah, sure, but you can't guarantee anything more than replacement-level performance out of him. I don't know where the idea that he's "pretty much a lock" comes from.

I'm not trying to oversell my opinion of Hagg -- I think he's in the 8-10 range in the rankings, and I think he'll be a #4-#6 blueliner in the NHL. I think he's better than Leier, though, if just because of his physical tools. I'll admit I've always liked Hagg's physical ability and was encouraged by his albeit one-game only tryout in the NHL.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Voted Hägg again.
People tend to sell low on him because he isn't flashy and doesn't score a lot but you need big steady and mobile D in the NHL.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Not sure what separates Ratcliffe and Frost as prospects, position they were chosen could have easily been flipped.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Not sure what separates Ratcliffe and Frost as prospects, position they were chosen could have easily been flipped.

Positions could be flipped but the type of players they are can't be flipped.

Frost has a major potential, he's a center who has tremendous talent and just needs to mature and get bigger, he's more talented prospect than Ratcliffe and with potential to be better overall player as he's center, who could impact any situation on the ice. Whereas Ratcliffe have potential to be top 6 winger, powerfoward, which is not really good comparable to high-end top 6 center like Frost (in terms of potential).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Positional value. Frost could be a center in the NHL. If he's tops out as a middle of the lineup two-way center Ratcliffe would probably have to be a legitimate top line caliber winger to be more valuable.

Both guys are a ways out right now though. So this upcoming year will be more telling.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I just don't get why we all down voted laberge just because of an off year where he has a massive injury. A dirty injury that was terrible. Before we say allison and vorobyev is better we have to wait and see how he does when he was healthy. He wasn't drafted ahead of them for ****s and gigs. He produced and can when healthy. Definitely see him being in the 4-7 given that patrick/lindblom/morin will be promoted.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I just don't get why we all down voted laberge just because of an off year where he has a massive injury. A dirty injury that was terrible. Before we say allison and vorobyev is better we have to wait and see how he does when he was healthy. He wasn't drafted ahead of them for ****s and gigs. He produced and can when healthy. Definitely see him being in the 4-7 given that patrick/lindblom/morin will be promoted.

Well, for one, he didn't produce when he was healthy last year (small sample, as it was). And he doesn't get bonus points because the injury was dirty and terrible. Unfortunately, that has to be part of the calculation when evaluating him now. If we redrafted everyone from 2016 again today, Laberge would drop considerably just because he has so much more uncertainty. I like him a lot, and I still think it was a good pick given the information available one year ago, but now we have new data that changes how you evaluate him relative to his peers.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Well, for one, he didn't produce when he was healthy last year (small sample, as it was). And he doesn't get bonus points because the injury was dirty and terrible. Unfortunately, that has to be part of the calculation when evaluating him now. If we redrafted everyone from 2016 again today, Laberge would drop considerably just because he has so much more uncertainty. I like him a lot, and I still think it was a good pick given the information available one year ago, but now we have new data that changes how you evaluate him relative to his peers.

Laberge was like Ratcliffe in that many observers had him as a first rounder who slipped a bit. He can still be a dynamite player. This is why it's so intriguing for us as Flyers fans. Most times you only 'hit' on a player, maybe two, in a draft. It looks like we might be hitting on 3 or 4 from some of these recent drafts, with players reaching their potential. When you draft well in rounds 1 and 2, esp with multiple picks in those rounds, and then get potentially very good players in rounds 3 and beyond, you can end up with a good team. Guys like Lindblom, Vorobyov and Kase can make a franchise.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Laberge was like Ratcliffe in that many observers had him as a first rounder who slipped a bit. He can still be a dynamite player. This is why it's so intriguing for us as Flyers fans. Most times you only 'hit' on a player, maybe two, in a draft. It looks like we might be hitting on 3 or 4 from some of these recent drafts, with players reaching their potential. When you draft well in rounds 1 and 2, esp with multiple picks in those rounds, and then get potentially very good players in rounds 3 and beyond, you can end up with a good team. Guys like Lindblom, Vorobyov and Kase can make a franchise.

I still think Laberge ends up a 3rd line winger, at worst.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

For me Ratcliffe has the most upside. For sure a top six forward. Just check what Dave Read had to say the start of day two of the draft.

Last edited:

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017

He came back ffrom an insane injury at a young age and his family has gone through a lot as well. Hard to ask him to score at a ppg after that. Patrick, who was going to be #1, struggled with his injury as well. Now, he did score at a higher rate but thats because he is Patrick. He still has more upside than voro. I can't see voro being anyhting more than a 3c.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad