Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
lBcfn7_zps1tkerj2k.png

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I went with Friedman. I think he's an underrated defender. The size issue is overblown. He's a sleeper amongst the prospects list.

I figure it'd almost be worth it to separate the forwards and defense in these polls now, the as how goalies were given their own poll. Ofcourse, that would be on Curu, who appears to be the one putting the time into it.

The prospect pools just so stacked that there's really little discussion to be had because no one is surprised why the next guy voted the next guy at this point.

Excellent problem to have, I'm just pointing it out.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Went Frost. If Hexy thinks so highly to take him in the 1st then who am I to argue...

Not picking on you PD, but this seems the likely rationale. Hands up you 47 Frost voters who have seen him play even once? Heard of him before reading Draft Previews?

[crickets]

Didn't think so. I'm sure he's a fine young player, but when you have guys like Allison, Vorobyov, Laczynski who we have been able to watch in college/WJCs etc. after their drafts, it seems funny that people just voted Frost on blind faith. I watched the CHL Top Prospects game again, and although you can see he's a smart player in good position from watching that one, it wasn't like he had a Konecny/Laberge like surprise dominating performance.

I saw a couple of Allison's games on TV and he was fantastic. All over the ice. Hitting, carrying the puck, making great plays, getting good chances. Vorobyov was one of Russians best players (and 1C) at the WJC and looked great in several viewings. Same with Laczynski and Kase. You can see they are good players. All we have are a few clips of Frost which show his speed and skill, but nothing upon which to think he's a better prospect than others who have accomplished a lot more.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I can't, man - I'm particular about that, even when I make him my virtual ventriloquist's dummy.

See, that's the difference.

A real journalist (or... ya know... just your average person with human-level intelligence) will subconsciously use proper English when writing. It becomes habit after education and practice.

He can't even use proper English when he tries...
Or maybe he just isn't trying, which is a different, but equally as pathetic, problem.

Last edited:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Not picking on you PD, but this seems the likely rationale. Hands up you 47 Frost voters who have seen him play even once? Heard of him before reading Draft Previews?

[crickets]

Didn't think so. I'm sure he's a fine young player, but when you have guys like Allison, Vorobyov, Laczynski who we have been able to watch in college/WJCs etc. after their drafts, it seems funny that people just voted Frost on blind faith. I watched the CHL Top Prospects game again, and although you can see he's a smart player in good position from watching that one, it wasn't like he had a Konecny/Laberge like surprise dominating performance.

I saw a couple of Allison's games on TV and he was fantastic. All over the ice. Hitting, carrying the puck, making great plays, getting good chances. Vorobyov was one of Russians best players (and 1C) at the WJC and looked great in several viewings. Same with Laczynski and Kase. You can see they are good players. All we have are a few clips of Frost which show his speed and skill, but nothing upon which to think he's a better prospect than others who have accomplished a lot more.

Ranking prospects like Frost against prospects like Allison is largely an exercise in inferencing. There's quite obviously no direct comparison, so you're going to need to rely on pedigree, trajectory, "expert" opinions, etc. to fill in the gaps.

I mean, presumably you would rank Frost ahead of, say, Cooper Marody, but wouldn't your argument here be just as applicable to that comparison? So clearly Frost's pedigree and Hextall's ringing endorsement factor into your analysis too. The only question is how much of one's analysis depends on those factors that aren't made by first-hand observation.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah, I mean if this was about what level guys played and how close they are to the NHL, Robert Hagg would be a top 5 prospect. He doesn't sniff the top 10 for me because I don't think he's anything more than a low scoring bottom pair defenseman.

Frost is 2.5 years younger than Vorobyev. That is a huge difference. Think about how much better Frost will be in 2020 when he's Mikhail's age. This is not an exact science. You have to project.

MichaelRaffl

Aug 13, 2009
Vilnius
Can someone give me a run down on laczynski(?) everyone here seems pretty high on him but I see few things on his play here. Thanks

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I'm sure he's a fine young player, but when you have guys like Allison, Vorobyov, Laczynski who we have been able to watch in college/WJCs etc. after their drafts, it seems funny that people just voted Frost on blind faith.

It's not blind faith, it's faith in Hextall and his scouts and their track record.

Frost was an upside pick, he's got more speed than any of those guys, and as an underage draft pick, has more potential to fill out and make a big jump.

Take Laczynski, he put up nice numbers as a freshman in college, and played on but wasn't a star in the WJC, but he was a 6th rd pick who was passed over at age 18. In juniors, he'd be in his second post draft season last year and expected to put up big numbers (see Martel). Now maybe he's the next Lindblom, but odds are he's the next MV, a college star who's now competing for an eventual bottom six slot.

Allison might be a stronger case, but he had a good, but not great, freshman year, 12 goals in 36 games at that level isn't elite. But he'd be in his post-draft season in juniors, so while you'd like to see more, he held his own at a slightly higher level of play.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
I'm kind of curious to see who would win in a head to head poll between Allison and Ratcliffe.

As for here I voted Frost.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Can someone give me a run down on laczynski(?) everyone here seems pretty high on him but I see few things on his play here. Thanks

Good size, really smart, versatile, RW/C, can play up and down the lineup, PK & PP, good vision, good on faceoffs, pass 1st type, a beast down low and on the walls, puck protection & posession skills very high end.

The more you watch him play, the more you find to like about his game. Laczynski is under the radar to most, but he absolutely will be a good NHL player imo.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Good size, really smart, versatile, RW/C, can play up and down the lineup, PK & PP, good vision, good on faceoffs, pass 1st type, a beast down low and on the walls, puck protection & posession skills very high end.

The more you watch him play, the more you find to like about his game. Laczynski is under the radar to most, but he absolutely will be a good NHL player imo.

I've only seen him at the WJC so I can't really judge.

Are you thinking mid 6 or bottom 6 for him (assuming things work out and he ends up in the NHL).

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I've only seen him at the WJC so I can't really judge.

Are you thinking mid 6 or bottom 6 for him (assuming things work out and he ends up in the NHL).

I think Laczynski definitely has the potential to be a solid middle six player on a contender. He has to keep improving and progressing like any other good prospect of course. He has so much to offer a winning hockey team.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think Laczynski definitely has the potential to be a solid middle six player on a contender. He has to keep improving and progressing like any other good prospect of course. He has so much to offer a winning hockey team.

Is there a current/recent Flyer he reminds you of? (in style)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad