Sushko, Maxim ~ RW
Twarynski, Carson ~ LW
Vecchione, Mike ~ C
Warren, Brendan ~ LW
Willcox, Reece ~ RHD

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I give Bernhardt the slight edge here because he has better size than most who are left, to go along with a decent skill level for a blueliner.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I have to go with Leier here, while I think he's a "tweener," too small for a checking role and not quite skilled enough for a scoring role, it's easy to forget he had two solid post-draft seasons in juniors showing a scoring touch, and has steadily improved in the AHL - and he's a year younger than MV. He's going to play somewhere in the NHL.

MV and Bernhardt would be my other choices at this point.
Fazleev is behind them until his skating improves.

Kase, Marody, Cates, Sushko, Lycksell are still in the "show me" stage of their careers, have that big season then push your way up the rankings.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Went with Kase.

He has more skill than his brother, who is already a serviceable NHLer for Anaheim. I love the way he competes too. If he can somehow add a lot of strength and a bit of speed, he can be a middle 6 forward here or somewhere else.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
went marody. he's had a solid ppg average in his college career and this year should see top 6 or top line playing time as well as #1 pp time. I really think he has a big year at Michigan. he was pretty impressive as a freshman and I really can't judge his last year though he played very well in limited games due to the suspension.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Went with Vecchione.

Skillwise I'd lean Kase, but I just have a feeling he's never gonna end up over here, or we aren't gonna sign him, or he'll be misused. He's pretty electric, I just have a feeling we'll never see him.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I talked myself into voting for Noah Cates.

For most teams I would have probably voted for David Kase here. I really like his versatility and engine. But for the Flyers, since we are so deep, I think it's ok to gamble on upside at this point. So I went with Cates. For the same reason, I'll probably go with Lycksell next. They seem like the more valuable prospects for us, instead of going with a prospect that has a limited ceiling.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Just struggle to get past Vec's age. He's 6+ years older than guys we drafted this year and has virtually no pro experience still.

A guy like Jordan Weal didn't even make our list last year (I didn't vote for him either), and he was infinitely more accomplished at every age than Vec and didn't feast on younger competition at every level. We treat him like some late bloomer, but he tore through the WHL and was a 100+ point player in his draft year, tore through the AHL. Guy was a point/game player in the AHL at age 21-22 (when Vecchione was a sophomore in college), playoff MVP at 22-23, and last year was the same age as Vecchione will be there this season: 24-25. But he got a lot more skepticism than Vecchione got, probably because the rot set in with his situation.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Just struggle to get past Vec's age. He's 6+ years older than guys we drafted this year and has virtually no pro experience still.

A guy like Jordan Weal didn't even make our list last year (I didn't vote for him either), and he was infinitely more accomplished at every age than Vec and didn't feast on younger competition at every level. We treat him like some late bloomer, but he tore through the WHL and was a 100+ point player in his draft year, tore through the AHL. Guy was a point/game player in the AHL at age 21-22 (when Vecchione was a sophomore in college), playoff MVP at 22-23, and last year was the same age as Vecchione will be there this season: 24-25. But he got a lot more skepticism than Vecchione got, probably because the rot set in with his situation.

Weal got more skepticism because of his size and lack of speed to compensate for that size. MK has NHL size (like AK, short but stout), but does he have the NHL skill set?

Leier is between these two, smaller like Weal without as good of a skill set, but faster and grittier. Like Weal, he performed in juniors and has steadily improved in the AHL, close to a ppg with limited PP duties before he got called up.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Vecchione is unlikely to ever have an NHL season as good as Matt Read's 2016-17 that has many ready to fire him into the sun and that's not a shot at him. If he did, that would be a major success for a 24 year old ECAC UDFA.

The ECAC had the lowest NHLe correlation of the ~12-15 calculated leagues, so I would be more than cautious in pointing to scoring totals. If someone said Tyler Boland is going to be a productive NHLer because of his scoring this year, that would be met with laughs.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Using Vecchione's size and skating to point to why he'd get less skepticism than Weal doesn't fly to me. Vecchione is a very similar size himself (NAK is bigger than both). Frankly, as much as Vecchione's speed was considered a strength at the college level, in his small NHL sample, it didn't look that standout either. Maybe better than Weal's, but he's as agile as anyone. And he's rock solid for a little guy in puck protection.

I'd group Vecchione with Leier personally -- who is still a year younger than him. We voted Leier top 15 last year, didn't vote in Weal. No one mentions Martel that much, but to me he's grouped with them too. He's 2 years younger than Vecchione. I'd just be pretty curious to see what all of these guys could do in the ECAC at similar ages to Vecchione. Maybe the latter two would post similar numbers and be viewed similarly. I can't even imagine what Weal would do there.

Abstaining from the voting process I see.

Don't know whether to vote Cates or Kase. But it looks like it's Kase or Vecchione this poll so.......

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I have to go with Leier here, while I think he's a "tweener," too small for a checking role and not quite skilled enough for a scoring role, it's easy to forget he had two solid post-draft seasons in juniors showing a scoring touch, and has steadily improved in the AHL - and he's a year younger than MV. He's going to play somewhere in the NHL.

MV and Bernhardt would be my other choices at this point.
Fazleev is behind them until his skating improves.

Kase, Marody, Cates, Sushko, Lycksell are still in the "show me" stage of their careers, have that big season then push your way up the rankings.

Too small? Leier is 5'10, 180 pounds. That's not small by any stretch. That's what Mark Recchi played at. Weal is the same size. Konecny is the same size. I hate this notion that you need to be a monster to play in the bottom six. You need speed, you need agility, you need to be selfless and you need to sacrifice offense in order to focus on defensive responsibilities. Leier can do that. Sorry, I don't buy the too small argument at all.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
When the average player is 6'1 200, yes 5'10 180 is small by almost any stretch. But size won't prevent Leier from being an NHL player. There are other concerns.

On another note, what they hell would Deadhead write about if the NHL didn't make height and weight public?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Pretty crazy that we are on #19 and still have 4 guys who were at the WJC not picked.

Especially since 2 of them were just from this past year and played on the "bigger" teams. No Belarus, Swiss, etc...

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia

He is literally 6 years older than players he's not even better than.

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
Using Vecchione's size and skating to point to why he'd get less skepticism than Weal doesn't fly to me. Vecchione is a very similar size himself (NAK is bigger than both). Frankly, as much as Vecchione's speed was considered a strength at the college level, in his small NHL sample, it didn't look that standout either. Maybe better than Weal's, but he's as agile as anyone. And he's rock solid for a little guy in puck protection.

I'd group Vecchione with Leier personally -- who is still a year younger than him. We voted Leier top 15 last year, didn't vote in Weal. No one mentions Martel that much, but to me he's grouped with them too. He's 2 years younger than Vecchione. I'd just be pretty curious to see what all of these guys could do in the ECAC at similar ages to Vecchione. Maybe the latter two would post similar numbers and be viewed similarly. I can't even imagine what Weal would do there.

Don't know whether to vote Cates or Kase. But it looks like it's Kase or Vecchione this poll so.......

I dont understand the age reference. We arent talking about a person past their prime but arguably in their prime. Many paths lead to growth but it seems that some dismiss the talent of the college level based on years spent growing their potential in that arena. The competition level in the college environment is a test for any player. It may be a different learning curve to the NHL but its been proven that it is the a path for many and often can create a prepared player for the next level.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
No one mentions Martel that much, but to me he's grouped with them too. He's 2 years younger than Vecchione. I'd just be pretty curious to see what all of these guys could do in the ECAC at similar ages to Vecchione. Maybe the latter two would post similar numbers and be viewed similarly. I can't even imagine what Weal would do there.

I think Martel would absolutely clean house in the ECAC at Vecchione's age. I'm a little surprised Martel hasn't been better in the AHL, but it also illustrates why I'm not expecting much out of Vecchione professionally until I see it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I hope Leier and Vecchione both get a full season in the AHL for comparison's sake. That would also mean the Flyers forwards were pretty injury free.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00