Prospect Info: 2017-18 Flyers Prospects - Top 30 SKATERS, #17

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
To me Strome's stride seems more just heavy and clunky than choppy. It needs work in almost every aspect still but at least it's a stride. Choppy to me is when a guy looks more like he's running on skates-Cousins skating in juniors was actually that bad, mechanically much worse imo than Strome. His is just a little too wide and slow, yet he has notably good balance and shows good mobility making plays. To me, it looks more likely that it's being held back by power and conditioning. At 6'4 206 as an 18 year old before summer, who looked a little "top heavy" at Trial on the Isle it makes sense too. Give him a a season to ditch some more baby fat and train with some pros on his skating. I see the concern but not the type that would stop him from becoming at least decent at it.

He's got a couple wicked highlight packages and you can see that large majority of his production comes from his IQ, hands, and shooting skills. His style loses little to his -skating so far but also hasn't tapped into his +size yet , at least for offence. Seemingly hasn't had to.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It just seems that a player who has shown such a prolific scoring touch despite (as I am taking from the comments on here) playing like he is wearing construction boots has a pretty high chance of excelling if he can bring his skating to mediocre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad