Warren, Brendan ~ LW
Willcox, Reece ~ RHD

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
What is the origin of this nickname?

His fellow prospects.

Flyers prospects apparently nicknamed Strome "Water Bear." It's a microorganism whose scientific name means, "slow stepper." This is what a water bear looks like:

bb9f7efa43a737499a44b0ff166e5ca6

Amazing :laugh:

I will say that after seeing some Trial pictures, the Strome needs conditioning work theory is definitely still in play regarding his wheels.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Strome. I've got him a handful of spots up from here and have the same sort of feeling about him as I had with Allison last summer.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Also going with Strome.

Pretty crazy to have a prospect like Strome as your 17th best.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If he shows that his skating can improve between now and the end of next year then I think he'll rocket up these rankings next offseason.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
To (partially) quote Jake Voracek: "That picure creeping me out!"

I'll leave the voting to people who have actually seen these kids play.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Now it gets tough.

Hogberg v Bernhardt, one is a year younger, the other has shown more, both have good size, mobility and skills. But they're Swedes, so other than Appleyard, who the f knows?

Kase, just hasn't done enough yet to get excited.

Cates, Marody, Lykesell - raw skill to shoot up the ladder is there, but . . .

Strome - if you knew he'd grow up to be an average skater . . .

Vecchione, Leier, Fazleev - probably the most NHL ready, but what's their ceiling? 4th line? 3rd line? Is Fazleev fast enough, Leier big enough, Vecchione good enough?

Salinitri, Sushko, Twarynski - the latter two were drafted fairly high, but not sure what the Flyers saw in them

The rest, AHL fodder.

I'm going with Hogberg, but it could easily be five other guys, I think b/c he was in the SHL at 18, has the measurables, and would seem to have the most upside of this group (unlike Strome, he has no obvious flaw).

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Can't vote for Strome, that skating is something special, in a bad way.

Hogberg could rocket up these rankings with a solid season next year, very possibly breaking into the top 10. He is my vote.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
It's funny looking at the remaining list as that was what our total prospect pool looked like for many years!

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
We are at #17 with obviously no goalies included. Yet, I still count 5 guys who have played World Juniors on the board, and another 2 who will this year. That's a pretty reliable tell that your prospect cupboard is stacked.

WJC vets... Bernhardt, Bardreau, Fazleev, Leier, Kase.

This year probables... Hogberg, Sushko.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I went with strome because if his skating and conditioning improve then he could end up being a major steal. he has the skill and iq to be a 2nd line winger but his skating needs major work and despite the flyers doing well on these kind of guys(ex. lindblom), there's still a good shot his skating will always hold him back from being in the NHL. still, my gut says that he has a good chance to improve his skating to average as I just think him being the strome brother that wasn't majorly hyped will give him the extra drive to improve. he certainly could end up like Jared staal though.

I can see the argument for hogberg as well. 18 year olds playing in the SHL certainly warrant attention and have potential to be nhl defenseman. I just personally have never seen hogberg play so I really don't know if his ceiling is top 4 dman or bottom pair guy.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
Even our crappy prospects are good.

There's still like 5 left with NHL upside

crazy that we have at least 20 prospects with a realistic chance(not long shots) at being nhl regulars in some form. and that is ignoring the goalies too. even if half of these guys completely flame out, the team will still be in fantastic shape.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
crazy that we have at least 20 prospects with a realistic chance(not long shots) at being nhl regulars in some form. and that is ignoring the goalies too. even if half of these guys completely flame out, the team will still be in fantastic shape.

I'm counting up to 25 - including guys with no votes yet like Fazleev - who get at least get a 4th line/13th forward position. Not even counting high risk-reward types like Olle who could end up as real steals.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I like Hogzilla and think he should be higher up the list, but I also like Strome and think he should be higher than Hogzilla.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I voted strome. with 2 brothers in the NHL he should have the desire to fix his skating and make it also. Hopefully he is another lindblom in 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad