Prospect Info: 2017-18 Flyers Prospects - Top 30 SKATERS, #15

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Just curious what do you see his upside being?

Still pretty raw and needs to fill out a lot and therefore it's tough to draw a proper comparison.

His upside would probably be a speedy top-6 playmaking winger. I'm not going to tell you that he will be Johnny Gaudreau 2.0 but I believe he could turn into an NHL regular by his mid twenties. I feel in the worst case we will get another Jordan Weal, still not bad for a 5th round pick.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
AK vs. Bunnyman at #15. The depth is incredible.

Also the B.Schenn trade is growing on me by the day. We can give our young prospects more opportunities and we add Frost + a 1st in what looks like a deep draft.

Given how tough the central is, St Louis might not make the playoffs. That means that pick could realistically end up a 10-15 pick.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Given how tough the central is, St Louis might not make the playoffs. That means that pick could realistically end up a 10-15 pick.

St. Louis can only hold on the pick if it is in the 1-10 range or?

So, if they finish 11th - 15th, we get the pick no matter what? Did I get this right?

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Condition: If the 2018 draft pick becomes a top 10 pick, Blues have the option to move the pick to 2019. If the pick is moved to 2019, the Flyers will also receive a 2020 3rd round pick.

From CapFriendly

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It's confusing because the NHL generally writes pick protections in a different way than the NBA and others. The pick conveys 11-30. If the pick is 1-10, St Louis has the option to keep or convey. Obviously they keep it, but that's the way they write the deals.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Ended up going with Hogberg. I think Strome or Bernhardt is probably next for me. I can't get too into Aube-Kubel for some reason. He never seems to accomplish anything when I watch him.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Really? NAK over Bunny? I am depressed

Why? More well-rounded player. More points in juniors.

I need to see another year of Bunny before I vault him up our prospect standings.

edit: Salinitri scored more than Bunny.

Last edited:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Still pretty raw and needs to fill out a lot and therefore it's tough to draw a proper comparison.

His upside would probably be a speedy top-6 playmaking winger. I'm not going to tell you that he will be Johnny Gaudreau 2.0 but I believe he could turn into an NHL regular by his mid twenties. I feel in the worst case we will get another Jordan Weal, still not bad for a 5th round pick.

I agree that Kase could end up being a special player too. Some guys just 'have it' and he does. Hockey IQ and competitiveness off the charts. Great skill. It's no accident the Czechs make him captain of practically every team he's on.

As soon as he fills out a bit more, he'll be a dynamic addition to a pretty talented group of forward prospects Hexy is putting together.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

It could, but I'd be surprised if they missed the playoffs.

Then again, the central looks brutal to play in next year. Dallas and Winnipeg should be noticeably better. Chicago and the Preds should still be strong and the Wild can be very scary.

I think the pick ends up in the 14-20 range, which I would gladly take. ~11-15 is a little ambitious.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Strome for me here easily. He's got too many unteachable tools. If he can get his skating to improve, which I'm fine betting on, then he flies up the list.

His upside is higher than NAK imo but I can understand voting on him.

The Bunnaman votes make no sense at all though, unless people are just joking around at this point I guess.

I honestly have no idea where to put Strome. My hatred for his brothers probably blinds my sense of fairness to him. He has won me over quite a bit just with his interviews, though. He comes across as a very likeable kid. I need to watch more of him.

I acknowledge just looking at stats that NAK > Bunny very easily. But I agree with what a bunch of others have said about Bunny really passing the eye test when you watch him play.

I think their is a high possibility that Vecchione has the greatest odds to make some type of an impact at the NHL level then anyone left.

There isn't even one young prospect left on the list you even relatively like? To the point where you vote for a guy with no upside turning 25 who will be in the AHL? I just don't buy it. There are a bunch of kids still on the list with much better tools and that are 6-7+ years younger. You are way too risk averse if you settle on Vecchione at this juncture.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Think the problem here is too many players who are too limited in talent and too far away to easily project.

So Bunny Man looks good in junior, but he's not Patrick, he's not dominant right now, so even a good second post-draft season (see AK), doesn't tell you he's going to be a NHL PF. How do you project Kase right now, or the Swedish defensemen until they play a full SHL season?

At this point in the list there's a lot of guesswork, if guys had shown a lot of talent, they'd be higher up, if no talent, they wouldn't get a vote. This is the region of promising but still unproven.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Vecchione is far and away the best player on the board. Kind of silly that he's so low in the rankings, but I guess his age and lack of organizational exposure make him underrated.
I think there are a lot of super reasonable choices left. The one choice I am critical of is Vecchione. He's turning 25 this season and unless Hextall makes a trade, Vecchione is destined for the AHL. He doesn't have much appeal for me considering how many intriguing young guys are still on the board. In all honesty, I'd even rather throw my vote to an unknown kid with upside like Cates or Lycksell than vote Vecchione. I'd consider them a more valuable prospect.
I'm sure he'll get his chance in the NHL. He wouldn't have signed here otherwise. Even if he starts the season in the AHL, you can be sure he'll be the first call-up. His explosiveness, puck control and quick release are easily translatable skills/attributes to the NHL, especially at even strength and in the middle 6.

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Ended up going with Hogberg. I think Strome or Bernhardt is probably next for me. I can't get too into Aube-Kubel for some reason. He never seems to accomplish anything when I watch him.

Thats how I feel about him.

ANd yeah... i'm juggling between Hogberg, Bernhardt, Kase and Strome... think those guys have the higher upside of the remaining prospects.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Vecchione is far and away the best player on the board. Kind of silly that he's so low in the rankings, but I guess his age and lack of organizational exposure make him underrated.

We aren't voting on who is the best player. We are voting for best prospect. There's a big difference.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So we're ignoring age and the fact that his upside is as a 4C?

OK cool, just making sure.

There are clearly quite a few better prospects left on that list.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Because he's actually talented. The better question is what have guys like NAK and Bunnaman and done to show any sort of upside? Vecchione just won the NCAA scoring race.
So we're ignoring age and the fact that his upside is as a 4C?

OK cool, just making sure.

There are clearly quite a few better prospects left on that list.
They're kind of garbage. NAK would be lucky to make the NHL as a 4th liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad