Not open for further replies.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Reactions: lindgren

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i count 22 writers for the athletic out of 164 voters on those ballets. the future of hockey journalism seems to be pay to play.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
So Islanders got good new GM and Head Coach
Got rookie of the year
Have picks 11 AND 12
And now Tavares to sign there looks like

They are already the winners of the offseason

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i count 22 writers for the athletic out of 164 voters on those ballets. the future of hockey journalism seems to be pay to play.

i doubt it.

i think the reason there are so many athletic writers with a vote is because after espn and local newspapers fired a million sports journalists recently, the athletic went on a hiring spree. so the hockey writers took their credentials with them.

having tried the athletic for a few days a couple of months ago on a free trial, i can't imagine anyone paying for it. there is nothing there that you can't get for free on tsn or sportsnet's websites and it's basically a content farm; if you've read the headline you're not learning anything more from reading the article. i think all of those people will be out of jobs again fairly soon.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
i doubt it.

i think the reason there are so many athletic writers with a vote is because after espn and local newspapers fired a million sports journalists recently, the athletic went on a hiring spree. so the hockey writers took their credentials with them.

having tried the athletic for a few days a couple of months ago on a free trial, i can't imagine anyone paying for it. there is nothing there that you can't get for free on tsn or sportsnet's websites and it's basically a content farm; if you've read the headline you're not learning anything more from reading the article. i think all of those people will be out of jobs again fairly soon.

How much VC money do they have left?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
How much VC money do they have left?

what's VC?

EDIT: oh wait, you mean venture capitalist right? i have no idea how much they have left. i can't imagine they make money though, so with such an enormous staff probably not a lot if they pay decent money.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Venture capital. The allegation is that the Athletic is burning cash from investors and it will dry up at some point.

I subscribe to the Athletic and I don't regret. However, I'd say don't subscribe just for Canucks content. They don't have anyone really full-time on that beat and it's basically one article every 3 days. The articles are good, but not must-read. The Vancouver area bloggers do similar stuff and are WAY more prolific.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad