World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team North America

Status
Not open for further replies.

snizzbone*

Matthews over a lot of guys would be ludicrous. Alas, this tournament is a marketing gimmick for the NHL and nothing more, and they probably think they can sell good ol' Arizona boy, #1 draft pick Auston Matthews to the U.S. audience a lot easier than a Jenner, Fabbri or Drouin. I would expect the management team in charge of the U24s to be feeling the NHL's front office breathing down their neck this afternoon...

*reads username*

Matthews is better than Larkin and he was named to the team months ago. Keep believing in a conspiracy that isn't there. It's possible for younger players to be better than older ones.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
*reads username*

Matthews is better than Larkin and he was named to the team months ago. Keep believing in a conspiracy that isn't there. It's possible for younger players to be better than older ones.

****, quit being condescending and this has nothing to do with my nationality (besides, if I wanted to be a p***k I could ask you why a Swede could care less about the NA U24 team).

I have no doubt Matthews is a great player, but his competition for one of the final few forward spots on this team include players who have played #1C on their NHL clubs for a number of years (RNH), proven 30-goal scorers in Jenner, Scheifele, and Galchenyuk, guys who had strong players like Fabbri and Drouin, and others like Huberdeau and Trocheck.

If the U24 team's management is actually making a go of winning this tournament, they would (IMHO) be best served by filling out their roster with players who have actually played and excelled at the NHL level, and could presumably fill a bottom-six role - namely Jenner, Scheifele, Trocheck and to perhaps a lesser extent Fabbri. If Matthews is as he's been touted, he'll surpass all of these guys within a few years, but as of this moment I would go with the proven commodities.

snizzbone*

****, quit being condescending and this has nothing to do with my nationality (besides, if I wanted to be a p***k I could ask you why a Swede could care less about the NA U24 team).

Nationality? I was referring to you being a Habs fan.

Also I'm not Swedish. I'm William Nylander's twitter handle.

Anyways Matthews has proven how good he is. Don't be shocked if he makes the team. He was up for consideration before the draft lotto and all this BS.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Nationality? I was referring to you being a Habs fan.

Also I'm not Swedish. I'm William Nylander's twitter handle.

Anyways Matthews has proven how good he is. Don't be shocked if he makes the team. He was up for consideration before the draft lotto and all this BS.

I fail to see how me being a Habs fan means anything in all of this (for the record, I believe Galchenyuk should be there, if that's what you're getting at), but you're right, I won't be surprised if Matthews is named to the roster today. Perhaps I'm being overly cynical about it, as there are numerous other players I'd name to the team ahead of him - as I've stated and given examples of.

snizzbone*

I fail to see how me being a Habs fan means anything in all of this (for the record, I believe Galchenyuk should be there, if that's what you're getting at), but you're right, I won't be surprised if Matthews is named to the roster today. Perhaps I'm being overly cynical about it, as there are numerous other players I'd name to the team ahead of him - as I've stated and given examples of.

I was implying you were biased against Matthews due to him being a Leaf.

But yeah honestly when I look at it now there are some really good players who would have to not make it for Matthews to. Still think he makes it but it wouldn't be just because of stuff other than him being good enough. There isn't some NHL/Toronto conspiracy to get him on the roster.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I was implying you were biased against Matthews due to him being a Leaf.

But yeah honestly when I look at it now there are some really good players who would have to not make it for Matthews to. Still think he makes it but it wouldn't be just because of stuff other than him being good enough. There isn't some NHL/Toronto conspiracy to get him on the roster.

Nah, I leave NHL club affiliations aside when discussing international teams. On the Team Canada board I've consistently been a proponent of Patrice Bergeron making our rosters, going back to 2010 (now, Brad Marchand).

With respect to Matthews, I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm a pretty conservative guy, and I like knowing what I'm going to get.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Ya Mathews being on the team would be a disaster. It took McDavid 5 or 6 games to look good in the NHL. You want Mathews to have his first game against a bunch of all-stars?

snizzbone*

Ya Mathews being on the team would be a disaster. It took McDavid 5 or 6 games to look good in the NHL. You want Mathews to have his first game against a bunch of all-stars?

I mean Matthews looked pretty solid vs Team Canada at the World Champs. I have no doubts he could play on the team. It's just that there are so many good young players with NHL experience already that he would be taking a spot from.

We'll find out very shortly.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I mean Matthews looked pretty solid vs Team Canada at the World Champs. I have no doubts he could play on the team. It's just that there are so many good young players with NHL experience already that he would be taking a spot from.

We'll find out very shortly.

Gaudreau looked unreal in the worlds and he hit a wall for ten or so games in the NHL too. It's just different.

Let someone else make a name for themselves. Mathews will be fine without the tournament and can be a leader at the next WC.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
Was hoping Fabbri would make it after a huge playoff run but oh well. This team is going to be a lot of fun to watch

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
McDavid, Eichel, Matthews all on the same team. I'm actually stoked to see them play.

The D is pretty solid too. Rielly, Jones, Murray, Ghost, Parayko, etc.

Young but extremely talented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad