World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
The NHL is calling this an "international" tournament.

It's usually a moniker reserved for events involving national teams only.

That's secondary point now. The main point is that no one is pretending or caaling those two teams national.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
They could've just keep the format like it should be, have swiss and slovaks in.. but on their free will, they decided to take these two collection teams instead... :cry: WTF?

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
They could've just keep the format like it should be, have swiss and slovaks in.. but on their free will, they decided to take these two collection teams instead... :cry: WTF?

I would argue you'll get more talent, more star power with this format -- an experimental format yes, BUT one which many people find intriguing.

The Cinderella NA U23's ( potential Giant slayers ) should be a helluva lotta fun to watch, plus I predict will have a Huge Following on this side of the Pond.

Meanwhile Team Euro has the talent, on paper, to win it all!

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
I would argue you'll get more talent, more star power with this format -- an experimental format yes, BUT one which many people find intriguing.

The Cinderella NA U23's ( potential Giant slayers ) should be a helluva lotta fun to watch, plus I predict will have a Huge Following on this side of the Pond.

And when people will look back on it in the future and see results such as Team Europe 3 - USA 2 they will think "wow, what a completely legitimate international tourney this was".

It's a good things fans of other sports know nothing about hockey or they'd laugh at us for having an event called the World Cup with novelty "intriguing" teams suchs as Team Europe or Team Young Stars. Hockey needs to take itself seriously, soccer would never allow a major event to have such teams.

And don't tell me it's because they couldn't get 8 competitive teams. The IIHF World Championships have 16 every year and there are plenty upsets.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

That's all well and good - just don't pretend it's an international tournament and attempt to use it as pretext to end the era of actual best on best competition. That's what the NHL is doing, and it's beyond idiotic.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

What if the Euro Collection team wins the gold? What is the legacy? Will the players, who might be introduced to hall of fame, be praised as world cup gold medalists in euro collection team? Sorry, but there is simply no way international tournament can have teams like this. Bettman is absolutely blatantly blind, he does not understand the product.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Winning a best on best international tournament ultimately feels bigger / better than winning the Stanley cup from too many fan's standpoint. That is what bettman does not like in it, and he wants to end international competition. You see great celebrations in Canada, or any nation that wins best on best tournament. After leftovers win it, it'll be just like meh, wth was this tournament anyway.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
What if the Euro Collection team wins the gold? What is the legacy? Will the players, who might be introduced to hall of fame, be praised as world cup gold medalists in euro collection team? Sorry, but there is simply no way international tournament can have teams like this. Bettman is absolutely blatantly blind, he does not understand the product.

Sure they will, and Why Not? Considering the talent they're up against, that would be a Great Achievement. And what about Team Young Stars? Let's say they knock off a team like the Russians and then manage another upset in QF's? If so, I think what those youngsters achieved gets talked about for years! And rightly so...

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Winning a best on best international tournament ultimately feels bigger / better than winning the Stanley cup from too many fan's standpoint. That is what bettman does not like in it, and he wants to end international competition. You see great celebrations in Canada, or any nation that wins best on best tournament.

I doubt that the NHL is trying to end international competition. They are just trying to get more benefit from it. With regard to what feels better... I think many would disagree with your assessment.

After leftovers win it, it'll be just like meh, wth was this tournament anyway.

You don't think people will get teared up when they raise the Euro Leftover flag and play the beautiful Euro Leftover anthem?

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
I doubt that the NHL is trying to end international competition. They are just trying to get more benefit from it. With regard to what feels better... I think many would disagree with your assessment.

You don't think people will get teared up when they raise the Euro Leftover flag and play the beautiful Euro Leftover anthem?

I think many overseas fans, from places like Slovenia, Denmark and Germany, whose nations wouldn't have qualified for this tourney, had the top 8 nations been invited, will eagerly follow their country-men's World Cup exploits, and in so doing, will adopt Team Euro

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I think many overseas fans, from places like Slovenia, Denmark and Germany, whose nations wouldn't have qualified for this tourney, had the top 8 nations been invited, will eagerly follow their country-men's World Cup exploits, and is so doing, will adopt Team Euro

As someone from one of those counties in question I can promise I will not follow this sham of a tournament and this sham of a team at all.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think many overseas fans, from places like Slovenia, Denmark and Germany, whose nations wouldn't have qualified for this tourney, had the top 8 nations been invited, will eagerly follow their country-men's World Cup exploits, and is so doing, will adopt Team Euro

People from those countries who post here have been quite adamant in their disapproval.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
People from those countries who post here have been quite adamant in their disapproval.

Give it time, things change...

Many have made the pt, that u neigh-sayers who claim not to care..have spent considerable time disparaging this tourney ...which smacks of Hamlet's doth protest too much :laugh:

Some stuck in the mud supposed purists even insist they won't watch so much as a minute of the World Cup ( hells bells even the name sorely offends them )

Yet two bits says, u'll all be back here commenting ad nauseam on game action/threads once the tourney heats up!

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Yet two bits says, u'll all be back here commenting ad nauseam on game action/threads once the tourney heats up!
Given the hour games are played, that will be time better spent sleeping.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
EU anthem for, say, Swiss players, although Switzerland is not an EU member? Yeah, whatever... for a gimmicky pseudo-World Cup, anything goes, I guess. :shakehead

bordshockeypampen

Dec 11, 2013
EU anthem for, say, Swiss players, although Switzerland is not an EU member? Yeah, whatever... for a gimmicky pseudo-World Cup, anything goes, I guess. :shakehead

"An die Freude" is the anthem of the European Union and the Council of Europe. Switzerland is a member of the the Council of Europe at least. :m-beard:

Lataba76

Sep 6, 2015
A comparsion!

Give it time, things change...

Many have made the pt, that u neigh-sayers who claim not to care..have spent considerable time disparaging this tourney ...which smacks of Hamlet's doth protest too much :laugh:

Some stuck in the mud supposed purists even insist they won't watch so much as a minute of the World Cup ( hells bells even the name sorely offends them )

For example Football(soccer)!
The next Continental-Cup in Russia with Word Champion Germany and Powerhouses like Spain,Italy,Brazil,Argentina + Team North America(USA,Canada,Mexico) ;) ;)!Nobody accept this. But in Hockey is ist possible?

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Tatar-Kopitar-Hossa
Vanek-Drastaitl-Zucarello
Boedker-Nielsen-Gaborik
Ehlers-Grabovski-Niederreiter

Chara-Josi
Sekera-Ehrhoff
Streit-Seidenberg

Halak
Andersen

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis

Which is also beyond stupid. Imagine if the NBA tried to benefit from the Dream Team marketing by having their own tournament...

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana

Leave HFBoards once in awhile.

I'm pro this tournament taking place because the IIHF only care about Europe, but anti-Team Europe and Team-NA U23s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad