World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubie

Jan 18, 2010
Finland
I'm wondering how the NHL thinks it can entice players to play for this team. I mean players wouldn't need to come up with any injury excuse or anything, they could just say "no thanks" because nobody would mind.

One option would be that the league would pay them, but unless it'd be a huge sum I think a lot of guys would still decline. More likely is that this is going to be a package deal between the NHL and the IIHF whereby players can't refuse to participate in the WCH if they want to play in the Olympics.

I think that IIHF is supporting this tournament in exchange for the NHL participating in the Olympics. NHL will be ok with olympic participation because the World Cup will make them enough money to recoup the revenue losses caused by taking a break for the Olympics.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
One thing how they might force those countries players to play is shortened preseason. I'm quessing NHL teams wont be getting as much time to prepare with full rosters to the season so those games would be beneficial to getting game shape for NHL regular season. Otherwise Charas and co would have to train internally and play practice games with youth lineups in given teams.. just a theory.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
One thing how they might force those countries players to play is shortened preseason. I'm quessing NHL teams wont be getting as much time to prepare with full rosters to the season so those games would be beneficial to getting game shape for NHL regular season. Otherwise Charas and co would have to train internally and play practice games with youth lineups in given teams.. just a theory.
This tournament has eight teams. NHL has 30. Do the math.

Taking part in these games could be an advantage for the selected players. But given how majority would still have to grind with the kids, it's hardly providing enough incentive for a player who feels compelled to make a statement.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
They really did that?? :D who wants to see "others oll stars"? Answer: only those who hate hockey. Who wants to play for team like that? I doubt anyone wants to..

Slovaks and Swiss would've been 10 times better. No, 100 times.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I doubt teams will care about winning tournament that that kind of teams join.. Its ridiculous idea, I can't believe they actually did that. So sad. I almost thought there's gonna be legit best on best hockey with NHL rules but no.. they had to ruin it all.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Here's mine

disrespected player - disrespected player - disrespected player

disrespected player - disrespected player

disrespected goalie
disrespected goalie

Wonder who the coaches will be.. disrespected coach or someone else?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I can't see any self-respecting Slovak or Swiss player agreeing to play on this farce of a team. It's an insult.

What bettman is saying is basically: "your national team is crap even though you have the results to prove otherwise."

And what jersey would this joke team wear? Who will coach them?
I am 100% in agreement, and in a perfect world they would decline. However, this could be a good chunk of change for the players, so with that in mind they will likely play. Whether they care about winning or not is another story.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I am 100% in agreement, and in a perfect world they would decline. However, this could be a good chunk of change for the players, so with that in mind they will likely play. Whether they care about winning or not is another story.

I wouldn't bet on them playing. World cup was national team -thingy earlier.. Now its a joke. There is no reason what so ever to be motivated. I feel bad for the Slovaks. They could surprise in real tournament. Who gives a crap about tourney like this. I hope team Finland sends group of mestis players. I hope no one watches this tournament and its completely failure. Maybe then, after 5-6 years, we get real national team hockey. World cup is is 100% and all about nations.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I wouldn't bet on them playing. World cup was national team -thingy earlier.. Now its a joke. There is no reason what so ever to be motivated. I feel bad for the Slovaks. They could surprise in real tournament. Who gives a crap about tourney like this. I hope team Finland sends group of mestis players. I hope no one watches this tournament and its completely failure. Maybe then, after 5-6 years, we get real national team hockey. World cup is is 100% and all about nations.

I hear ya. Best case is they go with this in 2016, it absolutely flops and they make the necessary adjustments for 2020.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
I hear ya. Best case is they go with this in 2016, it absolutely flops and they make the necessary adjustments for 2020.

Best thing is it gets cancelled and the nhl never interfere's in the international game again. They usually ruin everything they touch, so best to stop.

Olympics
World Championships
World Juniors

That's all we need.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Best thing is it gets cancelled and the nhl never interfere's in the international game again. They usually ruin everything they touch, so best to stop.

Olympics
World Championships
World Juniors

That's all we need.

Yeah, but there was so much potential in the World Cup.

For example:

Olympics (Best of the best, 12 teams. Every four years)
World Championships (Traditional 16 teams big ice tournament, every year. Qualification for the Olympics and the World Cup).
World Cup (8 best teams in small ice. Every four years)
World Juniors

Peter Tagli Eddie

All 3 of them?
Apr 14, 2009
So wait... These players would rather be on their own countries team and battle for 6-7th place than be on a team together that could contend for 1/2/3?

I know if it was basketball and Canada had to play USA I'd rather join w/ another country and actually have a shot at winning.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Well, wouldn't the players have to be from the NHL? I mean, non-NHL'ers have absolutely no interest whatsoever in going to that tournament, whose sole purpose is to raise NHL's HRR's.

I mean... it has to be the sole purpose, because the whole "create a best-on-best alternative to the OG" purpose just went down the drain.

Which brings us to...

Wonder who the coaches will be.. disrespected coach or someone else?

Great question, in view of the lack of non-NA HC's in the NHL.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
So wait... These players would rather be on their own countries team and battle for 6-7th place than be on a team together that could contend for 1/2/3?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they would. And by the way Slovakia and Switzerland are not automatically 7. and 8. nowadays.

I know if it was basketball and Canada had to play USA I'd rather join w/ another country and actually have a shot at winning.

That's pretty sad.

Finland is pretty bad at football (soccer), but I'd rather see us trying to qualify for another lifetime than joining in with some ridiculous "best of the rest" team.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Gaborik - Kopitar - Hossa
Tatar - Grabovski - Girgensons
Reider - Nielsen - Zuccarello
Hansen - Bellemare - Raffl
Jurco

Streit - Josi
Ehrhoff - Seidenberg
Sekera - Chara
Visnovsky

Halak
Andersen
Hiller

Chance for medal.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Your post is wrong in so many ideas...
National pride is something that drives players to play at 100% level without money.
"Yeah, I was 3rd on occasional tournament, which was considered joke at the time with..wait..bunch of random players."
Does it scream success to you?

EDIT: Yet another interview with Dominik Granak, calling it stupid idea.

And one thing to think about - what would be the national (sic) anthem of Team Europe? Ode to joy? And Juniors?

This stupid on so many levels..it´s insanity.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
National pride is something that drives players to play at 100% level without money.
Phil Esposito scores at the waning moments of the final game in the 1972 Summit Series.

The Miracle on Ice 1980.

Ville Peltonen Hat Trick against Sweden in 1995.

USA beats Canada in 1996 World Cup.

Sidney Crosby scores the OT GWG in the Vancouver olympics gold medal game.

...and then...

Anze Kopitar scores the GWG for Team Leftovers in 2016 World Cup. Woo. All of Slovenia... wait, Slovakia... no... Switzerland goes crazy. Yeah!

There is a reason why the moments described above are part of collective hockey history. It's the same reason why the hypothetical situation presented after them is nothing but a mockery of it.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I think that the NHL should sell the euro-left overs and the NA young stars to Qatar and the United Arab Emirate respecfully. And that let fans of Ottawa and Toronto cheer for them. Would perhaps get Bettman some moar money in the pocket?

My inner Troll likes this idea just because of the controversy but it really give this tournament a gimmick feeling, but perhaps that's the point.

It will probably be non contact hockey. Could still be entertaining I guess. :dunno:

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Olympics
World Championships
World Juniors

That's all we need.
I disagree. The 96 and 2004 World Cup's were great events. The NHL is done with the Olympics, and very few in NA cares about the World Championships.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
As others have said this is a freaking joke. Everyone should decline from playing in Euro Allstar team... And young young guns for that matter...

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
The other big question is, despite the roster on paper, who is going to care? This isn't the West Indies Cricket team with pretty shared histories/location, there's some very unique countries on this team.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

You don't get the point. People want to play for their countries, gold in joke team like that is worth nothing..

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
This is how I want the World Cup of Hockey to look like:

Scandinavia (Sweden-Norway-Denmark-Finland, 14 swedes and seven finns)

Czech & Slovakia & Slovenia

USSR (inluding Turkmenistan, Turkey, Ukraine, Krim, Sotji, Latvia, Mongolia, Putingrad, KGB, GRU, Afghanistan, Chessnia, Sir Bad Jan, Stonia, Vlad Vostok, Lithium, Russian White, Zbek, Kzakh, Kirgis, Tajik, Georgia, Moldau, The Army and Camp Sibiria.

US of A including Hawaii, Alaska, Great Britain, I$I$ slash da3$h and Iraq.

Western Canada (including Anonymous, best WHL junior player and best female player)

Eastern Canada (including France, best OHL or QMJHL junior player and the best kostymnisse not being a goalie, sorry, Roy!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad