World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
tried to make three canadian teams for fun...

Team Canada - "A"

Hall - Crosby - Stamkos
Tavares - McDavid - MacKinnon
Benn - Giroux - Seguin
O'Reilly - Toews - Bergeron
Carter

Keith - Weber
Pietrangelo - Subban
Vlasic - Doughty
Burns

Price, Crawford, Holtby

Team Canada - "B"

Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
Duchene - Thornton - Neal
Schwartz - Couture - Toffoli
Marleau - E.Staal - Little
Sharp

Giordano - Brodie
Muzzin - Letang
Bouwmeester - Seabrook
Hamonic

Luongo, Fleury, Dubnyk

Team Canada - "C"

Ladd - Spezza - Johansen
Brassard - Monahan - Stone
Ennis - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Gallagher - Turris - Iginla
Fisher

Hamhuis - Barrie
Phaneuf - Myers
Alzner - Ekblad
Boychuk

Jones, Smith, Allen

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
24+

Benn - Crosby - Seguin
Tavares - Toews - Stamkos
Hall - Getzlaf - Perry
ROR - Bergeron - Giroux
Johansen/Stone

Keith - Weber
Vlasic - Subban
Brodie - Doughty
Giordano/Pie

Price
Holtby
Fleury

Last edited:

Burnaby_Joe*

Hall / Crosby / Stamkos
Benn / Tavares / Seguin
Giroux / Getzlaf / Perry
Couture / Toews / Bergeron

Carter, ROR

Keith / Doughty
Giordano / Weber
Vlasic / Subban
Pietrangelo / Letang

Price
Holtby
Fleury

Getzlaf and Perry should be near shoe ins a rough start to the season doesn't change that for me. Had to sneak Giroux on to the team somehow due to simply being way too good to be left off. I understand that both Pietrangelo and Letang are RHD but only one of them will need to dressed at a time.

This is a pretty good roster.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
My Team Canada World Cup 2016 Predictions:

Hall-Crosby-Giroux
Benn-Toews-Seguin
O’Reilly-Tavares-Stamkos
Couture-Getzlaf-Perry
Bergeron, Ladd

Keith-Weber
Giordano-Doughty
Vlasic-Subban
Pietranglo

Price-Crawford-Holtby

DyerMaker66*

Let's do this, Leeroy Jenkins!

Stamkos - Crosby - Bergeron
Benn - Toews - Carter
Ladd - McDavid - Sharp
Hoffman - Tavares - Little
Johansen

Keith - Weber
Vlasic - Doughty
Subban - Pietrangelo
Staal

Price
Fleury
Allen

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
So is there any way the NHL can go back on the whole "euro team" and "under 23" idea and just send national teams?

I honestly don't know why they haven't by now. Team USA has plenty of players they can't even pick because they are U23 members. This is where true leadership needs to come in place. Donald Fehr should have never agreed to this idea and if he did, notable players like Crosby and Ovechkin and Toews have got to step up and mention just how horribly wrong this format is. I so badly want to be excited for this tournament but I can't and I'm mad at the NHL for making it that way. A lifelong fan like me who ALWAYS paid even more attention to the NHL during World cup/Olympic years actually doesn't care about the tournament.

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
I want you to think aback to 2010. And I would find it hilarious of Toews was the extra forward.

This isn't NHL 14 where prospects reign supreme. Subban, Reinhart, Nurse, Drouin haven't even cracked the NHL. McDavid not even drafted. Same with Ekblad. And they'll be ready in 4 years?

Nurse has played some NHL games but not enough to be considered for team canada at the world cup . he could make the young guns team maybe. i am a fan of Nurse and he is from my hometown but Morgan Rielly has more of a chance of making team canada.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Nurse has played some NHL games but not enough to be considered for team canada at the world cup . he could make the young guns team maybe. i am a fan of Nurse and he is from my hometown but Morgan Rielly has more of a chance of making team canada.

For what Tournament? 2022 Olympics? Sure! As for the 2016 preseason exhibition being held in Toronto? Rielly has no shot. He's too young and is relegated to the kiddie squad. Such is the farcical nature of this gimmicky tournament...but it's just preseason exhibition, so, no biggie as few will be watching. :)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Benn - Tavares - Seguin
Hall - Giroux - Mackinnon
Bergeron - Crosby - Toews
O'Reilly - Carter - Gallagher

Subban - Burns
Keith - Letang
Doughty - Weber

Price
Holtby
Fleury

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Benn - Tavares - Seguin
Hall - Giroux - Mackinnon
Bergeron - Crosby - Toews
O'Reilly - Carter - Gallagher

Subban - Burns
Keith - Letang
Doughty - Weber

Price
Holtby
Fleury

Mackinnon isnt elibile. And as good as he is... he isnt making this team before Getzlaf

LoiltyAtItsFinest

Aug 18, 2014
Let's do this, Leeroy Jenkins!

Stamkos - Crosby - Bergeron
Benn - Toews - Carter
Ladd - McDavid - Sharp
Hoffman - Tavares - Little
Johansen

Keith - Weber
Vlasic - Doughty
Subban - Pietrangelo
Staal

Price
Fleury
Allen
Hope your kidding about that forward group, plus mcdavid is not eligible

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos
Benn-Toews-Seguin
Nash-Getzlaf-Perry
Duchene-Bergeron-Carter

Extra: O'Reilly

Doughty- Weber
Keith- Pietrangelo
Brodie-Subban

Extra: Vlasic

Price
bench-warmer #1
bench-warmer #2

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Tavares-Crosby-Stamkos
Benn-Toews-Seguin
Nash-Getzlaf-Perry
Duchene-Bergeron-Carter

Extra: O'Reilly

Doughty- Weber
Keith- Pietrangelo
Brodie-Subban

Extra: Vlasic

Price
bench-warmer #1
bench-warmer #2

Hall would make it over Nash and Duchene.

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
[/B]

For what Tournament? 2022 Olympics? Sure! As for the 2016 preseason exhibition being held in Toronto? Rielly has no shot. He's too young and is relegated to the kiddie squad. Such is the farcical nature of this gimmicky tournament...but it's just preseason exhibition, so, no biggie as few will be watching. :)

for this tornament a earlier poster said nurse should be on team canada for world cup like that will not happen. Rielly is more experienced . He will also likely go to the world hockey championship in 2016 he would of went May of this year if he didn't have a minor injury he was invited.

spacemunky

Jan 20, 2013
Ontario Canada
My updated roster:

Taylor Hall - Sidney Crosby - Steven Stamkos
Jamie Benn - John Tavares - Tyler Seguin
Ryan O'Reilly - Ryan Getzlaf - Corey Perry
Tyler Toffoli - Jonathan Toews - Jeff Carter
Matt Duchene

It would be tough to leave Giroux and Bergeron, though.

Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty
Alex Pietrangelo - P.K. Subban
T.J. Brodie - Shea Weber
Brent Burns

That's the exact lineup I'd have right now.

I would put both Giroux and Bergy ahead of Duchene though.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
speaking of the WHC...we could have a good team again. I think all of these players would go if available. (Monahan, Domi, McDavid, Duchene, Brodie, Giordano, Murray, Johansen, MacKinnon, Nugent-Hopkins, Ekblad, Stone, Turris, Rielly, Kadri, Little....) I think it's a must to accept an invitation for players like Giordano, Brodie, Giroux, Duchene, Hall, or Little, if they want to be playing at the World Cup.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
speaking of the WHC...we could have a good team again. I think all of these players would go if available. (Monahan, Domi, McDavid, Duchene, Brodie, Giordano, Murray, Johansen, MacKinnon, Nugent-Hopkins, Ekblad, Stone, Turris, Rielly, Kadri, Little....) I think it's a must to accept an invitation for players like Giordano, Brodie, Giroux, Duchene, Hall, or Little, if they want to be playing at the World Cup.

Who's the coach? Babcock or McLellan again? My guess would be the Edmonton coach again and Hockey Canada takes as many of the U24s as possible. I'd like to see a repeat of last year.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The most interesting thing about the roster for this tournament will be what happens with Getzlaf and Perry. They bring a unique element to the team, and one that fits with what is the traditional Canadian style. Looking at the coaching staff I have little doubt that they will want Getzlaf and Perry. I'm curious to see if they will be announced as part of the early roster announcement in March. I cannot imagine that they will be left off, even if their performance isn't as good as that of other top players.

It might depend on who gets picked in the March World Cup roster selection for guys like Giroux or Hall. I'm always pessimistic about players accepting offers to play at the World Championship. If Edmonton, Calgary and Colorado miss it gives Canada a good base of players who will probably go - Hall, McDavid, Nugent, Eberle, Duchene, MacKinnon, Barrie, Giordano, Brodie, Monahan. Philadelphia, Columbus and Buffalo missing could provide Giroux, Couturier, Johansen (turned down a chance last year despite being healthy), Murray, O'Reilly. Just from those six teams it looks promising. Good mix of young and prime players. Just leave a spot for Tavares in case the Islanders lose in the first round.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Hall would make it over Nash and Duchene.

I built my roster with defensive ability in mind. Players that were very good, like Hall/Giroux that didn't make my top six got replaced by defensive players Duchene, Bergeron, O'Reilly, Nash and so on. I was trying to build a roster, not an all star team. And if you look back at the history of this team that's what they tend to do.

tfantasy

Pirate of Bengal
Jun 1, 2008
I built my roster with defensive ability in mind. Players that were very good, like Hall/Giroux that didn't make my top six got replaced by defensive players Duchene, Bergeron, O'Reilly, Nash and so on. I was trying to build a roster, not an all star team. And if you look back at the history of this team that's what they tend to do.
Hall will make it over Nash and Duchene.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
There are

Hall will make it over Nash and Duchene.

There are 'snubs' every year where one or two top offensive player gets left of the team for an older vet to play a defensive role (Shane Doan for example).

I live in Alberta and watch Hall a lot. He's a great offensive talent but he turns the puck over too much and isn't strong enough defensively to play in the bottom six IMO. Unfortunately for Hall and Giroux they would be my snubs. Again. I'm building a team not an all star team.

Look at Sochi... How did we win? We shut other teams out and didn't let them score. We didn't try and win 6-5 we tried to win 2-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad